Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:12 Reading to Newbury
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:57 Exmouth to Paignton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 11:36:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 17.45 Plymouth - Paddington every Sunday  (Read 4610 times)
amiddl

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2010, 22:11:07 »

Almost without fail many Sundays (including tonight) the 17.45 (ex Plymouth) due into Newbury at 20.23 arrives around 20.12 causing confusion and then sits there for 10 mins until departure time.

I presume this is recovery time not needed - could someone in the know explain why it happens so regularly Huh

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 00:07:44 »

Most probably engineering allowance. What sort of confusion does it cause? Am interested to hear.
amiddl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 07:29:25 »

Confusion usually of two kinds :-

1) those getting off mentally prepare themselves to get off at 20.23 and suddenly it arrives at 20.12 and there is a rush to find luggage and get off (but of course they have ten minutes to do so but don't realise it).

2) Those who are getting on wondering if this is the 20.23 or another earlier train. You see a few people running down the station approach thinking they are late.

Its made worse by the fact that on a Sunday evening there are no staff to ask so the TM(resolve) gets all the enquiries. Last night the the TM was really on the ball and announced we were early by 10 mins, gave people enough time to get up and get off and made sure people knew we were waiting there for 10 mins.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 17:49:50 »

The capacity of many otherwise intelligent human beings to descend into a state of dithering panic whenever they get near a train or railway station never ceases to confound me! How hard can it be...?

For those on the train the TM(resolve) will most likely have announced that they're approaching Newbury, if they've ever made the journey before they will probably have some idea of what the approach to the station looks like, and it's not as if the train is going to leave ten minutes early with them still on-board.

For those on the platform there will be an information screen saying exactly what the train is, and although I don't know Newbury I'm assuming there is an automated PA (Public Address) of some sort. And the train will probably (but not always) have labels in the windows.

Sometimes it amazes me that some of these folk managed to tie their own shoes (maybe they didn't) or worse, drive to the station...
amiddl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 19:23:57 »

Me too! I wouldn't ask the orgional question but I am getting quite used (and amused) by the ensuing confusion and panic most Sunday Evenings. People look at me as if I am quite mad when i get up as we approach Newbury at 20.10ish. People sprint down the approach road thinking they are late.

To be fair I haven't noticed station announcements but I am off the train and out the station. Last nights TM(resolve) was brill he really made sure everyone knew what was going on sometimes we are on the platform before anyone realises. 

I just find it interesting as its the only train I know that seems to regularly wait for that length of time arriving early. I think the only other time I have waiting similarly has been on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)).
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 19:25:48 »

The capacity of many otherwise intelligent human beings to descend into a state of dithering panic whenever they get near a train or railway station never ceases to confound me! How hard can it be...?

For those on the train the TM(resolve) will most likely have announced that they're approaching Newbury, if they've ever made the journey before they will probably have some idea of what the approach to the station looks like, and it's not as if the train is going to leave ten minutes early with them still on-board.

For those on the platform there will be an information screen saying exactly what the train is, and although I don't know Newbury I'm assuming there is an automated PA (Public Address) of some sort. And the train will probably (but not always) have labels in the windows.

Sometimes it amazes me that some of these folk managed to tie their own shoes (maybe they didn't) or worse, drive to the station...

if this was facebook i would be clicking the like button now!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 20:36:54 »

Oh - come on. It's just that most of us here are used to the quirks of the system!  Wink

* A ticket bought in advance is not necessarily an advanced ticket
* Off Peak tickets seem to be valid on the busiest Sunday trains
* There are no trains on Boxing day which is one of the busiest days of the year for travel
* Airlines leave early if everyone's on board, so why shouldn't trains?
* Ryde has 3 stations each with 2 trains an hour each way. Same size Melksham has 1 station with 2 trains a DAY each way.
* Late night trains always seem to leave from the platform furthest from the concourse
* Some trains are timed to arrive at their destination after they're timed to set off on their return
* A train may be on time even if it's ten minutes late
* The first train to be cancelled is always the one with the longest wait for the next service - getting much better - thank you, FGW (First Great Western)!
* Barry Links and Barry Island are nowhere near each other
* You have to pay more to stand in some corridors than others
* Tickets say "any permitted route" but don't tell you what's permitted.
* You can sometimes save over half your fare by buying your ticket in two halves.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 23:47:27 »

That's true. Although my original comments were only intended to be about people figuring out how to get on the correct train, I had neglected the possibility that they may have been left in a befuddled tailspin by their trip to the booking office...
amiddl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 21:44:56 »

Oh - come on. It's just that most of us here are used to the quirks of the system!

I guess there is a real element of truth here.

I would classify myself as a fairly savy frequent traveller. I know the journey well enough (even in the dark - 10 mins after Hungerford) that I know when we will be arriving in Newbury early or late. I know what sort of train I am looking for (for example I wouldn't expect to board a Turbo for Plymouth), I know the position of the display boards if I need info and I will probably have checked the train time via my mobile (and got the platform number and mins late or early).

I can see why the  average travelling punter does get confused when anything is slightly out of expectation.
amiddl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 21:47:22 »

Interesting journey tonight - Engineering works from Taunton to Westbury so train went Taunton - BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) - Bath Spa - Westbury before reversing and continuing to Newbury getting in at 21.09pm.

More confused passengers (both getting on and getting off) but this time because it was running later than scheduled.

Moral - you can look at a paper timetable but it really does pay to check online.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: