Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:28:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Early morning train service boost for Devon and Cornwall business (Dec 2010)  (Read 7609 times)
woody

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 22:47:40 »

This was mentioned in the duplicate thread...

"I personally think that xc should use there hst's and give fgw some 221's to run a penzance-exeter service with tilt enabled"

Didn't XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) disable all their 'tilts'
Thats right to save on maintenance costs I think.Also I remember reading that Virgin when they ran XC wanted the route from Taunton to Plymouth tilt enabled around the time that part of the Banbury route was.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 22:57:57 »

Thats right to save on maintenance costs I think.Also I remember reading that Virgin when they ran XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) wanted the route from Taunton to Plymouth tilt enabled around the time that part of the Banbury route was.

As far as I know, the Oxford to Banbury section was only ever tilt enabled to allow the testing of the equipment back when the Class 221 fleet was being delivered - a good choice given that it's tight curve after tight curve between Tackley and Heyford.  Even if it did remain tilt enabled after the test period, there was no increase in the permissible speed over and above the normal HST (High Speed Train) speed for the route.

It is a shame that tilt enabled trains have now had their equipment removed.  I wonder what kind of journey time reductions could have been achieved west of Exeter had the system ever been fully exploited?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
willc

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 00:06:49 »

I don't think the tilt equipment has been removed on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) 221s - it's integral to the bogies - merely isolated out of use because XC saw no point paying for it to be kept serviceable when it wasn't needed on the routes they operate.

As for magicing up HSTs (High Speed Train), not difficult to do when several have been removed from Cotswold and Oxford diagrams over the past year or so to save money and been replaced by Turbos.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 16:28:40 »

Am I right in thinking that Class 221's (AKA (also known as) Vomet Comets) only tilt where Track side equipment has been installed to tell the train to tilt?

woody

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 17:07:12 »

Am I right in thinking that Class 221's (AKA (also known as) Vomet Comets) only tilt where Track side equipment has been installed to tell the train to tilt?

Correct,the tilt mechanisms can be disabled by an on-board system called Tilt Authorisation and Speed Supervision (TASS). TASS beacons, spaced about every five miles apart, transmit data to the train which stops them tilting on stretches where bridges and tunnels would get in the way of this manoeuvre. It also relays the maximum speeds for corners.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 23:48:52 »

Virgin's Pendolinos also use TASS.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 21:39:10 »

With regards to tilt between Plymouth and Taunton,according to the Network Rail 2007 business plan redeployment of Class 221 fleet was the reason Virgin did not pusue this.
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20documents/BusinessPlan2007/PDF/Route%2012%20Reading%20to%20Penzance.pdf
Figure 19  Page 19
"Taunton ^ Plymouth (12.02 &12.03)Maximise tilt train capability Improved journey times  No longer under consideration by Virgin Cross Country due to redeployment of Class 221 fleet"

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 23:30:40 »

All the Voyagers should have had tilt enabled, and all these slow XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) routes could have been sped up one by one.

How short sighted! And now the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) (if it isn't axed) doesn't even have tilt despite the huge benefits Virgin have proved it can bring...
willc

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 13:18:11 »

Weight of a four-car Voyager without tilt 185.6 tonnes
Weight of a four-car Super Voyager with tilt 227 tonnes

So you would have them lug all that extra metal up and down mile after mile just so they could achieve marginal journey time reductions in Devon?

Name one place between Derby and Bristol where tilt would do anything significant to speed up journey times. Railtrack and Network Rail have cleared long stretches of this route for 100-mph-plus running for Voyagers, following the example of the work done long ago on the track on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) and GWML (Great Western Main Line) for HSTs (High Speed Train) (and ECML Deltics before them).

IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) wasn't meant to tilt because any slight time improvements would have been cancelled out by the cost of fitting and maintaining tilt equipment on the trains and trackside. It is cost-effective on the WCML (West Coast Main Line) because there are many places along the route where tilt is the only way to achieve higher speed without breaking the bank to create cut-offs - if you are going to spend that kind of money, you might just as well build an HSL.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 13:51:32 »

An ex-Virgin Cross Country driver told me that the journey time saving between Birmingham and Manchester via the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) route was probably only two minutes.  Will's right in so much as there is precious few areas between Derby and Bristol, though I would argue that quite substantial journey time reductions could potentially be achieved in Devon and Cornwall with a fully functioning TASS system - the reasons that it's a non-starter are, in my opinion, two-fold;

1) It's not just a question of bunging a few TASS transponders on the tracks and then adding 15mph to the speed of the route - there are other factors, namely distances between signals and structural clearances that can be very costly in their own right to alter.  The Oxford-Banbury test route saw many of the signal locations altered to ensure there was adequate braking distances between them.

2) The GWML (Great Western Main Line) west of Exeter, whilst a main line, doesn't have the amount of tilt compatible trains (even post IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) if they were to have been designed with a tilt system) or the important population centres of the WCML (West Coast Main Line) route.

The weight comparisons are interesting, but it's worth saying that all that extra metal is being lugged mile after mile as the system has only been isolated and not removed (as Will rightly corrected me on a while ago) - though I believe a small amount of unnecessary wiring has been removed, the reason for the majority of the added weight is to do with the bogies.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 20:44:28 »

Non tilt Voyagers have bogies that look like BMX bikes, the titling stock has bogies similar to an HST (High Speed Train).

willc

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 21:37:30 »

Just to clarify, my point about lugging the metal around was that two thirds of the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) fleet, the Class 220s, are not carting extra weight around, which they would be if the entire Voyager fleet had been built to tilt. Given the routes XC currently operates, tilt west of Taunton or Exeter would be an extravagance for one train an hour out of a fleet that size venturing into the West Country. Same would apply to any Great Western train fleet, given the number of workings that go nowhere near that part of the system.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: