Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:08:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[111] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[41] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[39] access for all at Devon stations report
[25] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[20] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: No Standard Class standees in First Class vestibules.  (Read 41742 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2010, 02:08:44 »

I doubt you can be given a Penalty Fare for alighting (or attempting to alight) at a 'pick-up' only station.

From the Penalty Fare Rules:

7.6 An authorised collector must not charge a penalty fare to a person whose ticket is not valid only because of a published restriction, as described in condition 12 of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage.

AFAICS (As Far As I Can See) the only legitimate 'fine' (for want of a better word) in the case of the 1803 would be to ching the passenger for the full undiscounted Anytime single from Paddington to Taunton.

Logistically this would be a nightmare to do once the passenger has got off at Reading. So, realistically the only ways to enforce the 'pick-up only' are to either do so at Paddington or onboard. Doing so at Paddington would, at the moment, require manual checking of every ticket and turning away all the Reading 'chancers'. This would require each platform at Paddington to be individually and manually barriered. There's no way, with the present set-up, that automatic barriers can be programmed to reject Reading tickets - what if a service due to call at Reading is on an adjacent platform?

Doing so onboard would generate some healthy revenue, but would also generate a sh*tload of negative publicity.

No easy answer......
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 04:11:40 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2010, 11:03:13 »

There was a train many years ago which was pick up only at Reading. There was a problem so to avoid further delay the train went through road non-stop past Reading.  There were a couple of people on the train who sent in a complaint but were told they should not have been there in the first place.

Small chance of such a thing happening again but bit of a risk.  I always tell any pass this story if they ask to get on a pick up only train.

PS The train in question was next stop Taunton.  They got back home a bit late that day.  Dont know if they were charged for their extra journey or not  Shocked
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2010, 12:36:59 »

There are tales of BR (British Rail(ways)) putting on reliefs from Reading for those joining the service there, and running the pick up only train non-stop intentionally, without any warning.  I bet that would deter people chancing it once the word went round.

I agree it's a minefield to enforce, and onboard checks are the only real solution.  But what the fare or penalty fare implications are I haven't a clue.  There are other areas where such restrictions are enforced, e.g. WCML (West Coast Main Line) trains at Watford Junction. I've been there offpeak and it seems they just man the platform with enough staff to spot those trying to get off (or on in the up direction).

Paul
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2010, 13:37:07 »

Doing so onboard would generate some healthy revenue, but would also generate a sh*tload of negative publicity.

THe only publicity would be not to board, or pay a record amount for a trip to Reading! The full peak single to Taunton is three figures? You'll only do that once.....
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2010, 19:53:13 »

This sort of thing is the kind of Ryan Air anti-customer service attitude that doesn't help the rail industry's image at all. The fare structure and ticketing restrictions are already complicated enough, without having staff spending their time trying to devise cunning traps to impose massive penalty fares for people who ignore what most would regard as a rather bizarre restriction on getting off a train that stops where they are going.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2010, 20:05:17 »

It's not bizarre. It's a very sensible attempt to ensure that the train doesn't overfill with passengers for Reading (who could get on a train 5 minutes later) leaving passengers for South Wales/South West etc unable to board and having to wait up to an hour for their next service.

And as trains that are "pick up only" at Reading are not advertised as calling at Reading on the screens at Paddington, then the argument that they got on by mistake is rather weak.   
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2010, 21:00:18 »

It's not bizarre. It's a very sensible attempt to ensure that the train doesn't overfill with passengers for Reading (who could get on a train 5 minutes later) leaving passengers for South Wales/South West etc unable to board and having to wait up to an hour for their next service.

And as trains that are "pick up only" at Reading are not advertised as calling at Reading on the screens at Paddington, then the argument that they got on by mistake is rather weak.   

I fully understand the reason for it. I agree it makes sense operationally to discourage people from getting on a train under those circumstances. But I'm talking about customer service, and you aren't going to persuade many customers it is fair to impose very high penalties on people for doing that, which one or two people here seem to be advocating with great relish, or doing stunts like intentionally not stopping, just to catch people out. That is rather petty to say the least.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2010, 10:48:05 »

I'm with John R on this one - you appear to be excusing laziness on the part of Reading commuters in not checking whether a train is due to set-down at their stop. They have a train 3 minutes later or 8 minutes earlier.

There won't be 'stunts' as you suggest - what was reported was years ago, and before privatisation. Network Rail would rightly refuse any TOCs (Train Operating Company) request now, unless for proper operational reasons.

I'm sure that FGW (First Great Western) will make sure publicity leading up to the TT change will be clear, along with on-train announcements and posters at both Pad and Reading. And I'm sure that the vast majority of Reading pax will adhere to the new restriction.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2010, 11:06:35 »

Is "laziness" something that really deserves a penalty of this severity: "The full peak single to Taunton is three figures? You'll only do that once....."?? Compare and contrast with fines for motoring offences, scarcely proportionate.  This is not something that would be considered fair in terms of natural justice, never mind customer service. There have to be better ways to manage demand.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2010, 11:16:12 »

Any savvy Reading commuter will know the 18.03 is still a first stop Reading from the Dec tt change. If they choose to ignore the fact that FGW (First Great Western) have made this service pick up only at Reading then they fully deserve to be penalty fared for not observing the reason why its pick up only...to benefit those travelling much further than them.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2010, 11:20:33 »

Is "laziness" something that really deserves a penalty of this severity: "The full peak single to Taunton is three figures? You'll only do that once....."?? Compare and contrast with fines for motoring offences, scarcely proportionate.  This is not something that would be considered fair in terms of natural justice, never mind customer service. There have to be better ways to manage demand.

Is it that dis-proportionate ?
The fine for driving in a bus lane is now ^120, a broadly similar figure.
Many motoring offences carry fines of ^100.
Repeated motoring offences can lead to loss of the driving licence, repeated payment of penalty fares, excess fares or similar does not bar one from use of the rail network.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 20:39:53 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2010, 11:23:14 »

Indeed - withdrawal of one's season ticket would be excessive....
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2010, 12:13:30 »

Indeed - withdrawal of one's season ticket would be excessive....

For the first offence that is  Smiley

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2010, 14:59:28 »

Also agree for the first offence withdrawal of a season ticket is excessive.

I believe that this time the RDG(resolve) commuters might take a second look when certain trains on a Friday evening show first stop Swindon on the boards.
Some of them evening peaks are having Didcot withdrawn from the stopping patterns and being replaced with a 'relief' train.

There has also been talk of actively stopping Reading Passengers. But I doubt they will set the barriers to reject them.
It is very easy to set up the barriers to block Reading tickets, spoke to a gateline engineer about it.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2010, 15:19:15 »

It is very easy to set up the barriers to block Reading tickets, spoke to a gateline engineer about it.

Ahh...... but what about the scenarios where a Reading 'pick-up only' is on Platform 1 or adjacent to a Reading service on other platforms?

I think for an effective block, you are going to need humans. Even then it'll be difficult to police if a 'pick-up only' is platformed next to another service which is calling at Reading.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: