19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
03:56 Swansea to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 05:16:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: No Standard Class standees in First Class vestibules.  (Read 41724 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2010, 16:04:54 »

I've just read on another forum (caveat: no independent verification) that FGW (First Great Western) are putting up signs in the HST (High Speed Train) First Class vestibules warning anyone standing there that they must be in possesion of a First Class ticket, or they will be charged the full First Class fare for their journey.

I appreciate that there are a few HSTs that are completely rammed in Standard (usually ones to holiday destinations in the summer) but it is rare, even in the evening peak to see all seats taken in coaches A-E as well as standees cramming every available space in Standard Class.

It appears that the majority of the standees that crowd the HST First Class vestibules out of Paddington in the evening are travelling to Reading (or Slough and maybe Maidenhead/Twyford) and just being lazy. Board a carriage nearest the concourse at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and disembark nearest the exit at RDG(resolve).

If I buy a Standard Class ticket, I travel in in that section. I'm betting one of the the most common excuses TM(resolve)'s get when attempting to move people out of First Class is "But Standard Class is full....." How many using this excuse have walked all the way down the platform to check, I wonder?

So bring it on I say, lets just hope FGW back up the signage with consistent enforcement.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 16:12:01 »

I too was intrigued when I read this, however for the life of me cannot remember where!

Certainly thee is a perception of over crowdedness if vestibules at the barrier end of Paddington are full, when most likely there are seats in A!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 16:26:52 »

See also http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=6419.msg63559#msg63559  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 17:17:08 »

Quite often I see people get on at 1st class and claim it's busy in standard and try to stay there be it standing or sitting. Realistically though as can be heard from the announcements is that coaches D-E are ufll whilst the other carriages have space but people are unwilling to move down the train. However, when the train is genuinely full I have seen 1st class coaches de-classified to ease overcrowding but obviously this decision can't be made lightly as they do not want to upset people who have piad a premium to travel 1st class
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 17:47:06 »

As mentioned before some passengers try this on every day between Swindon and Bristol. They will be easy pickings for any penalty fare inspector once this comes in on the route, as almost by definition everyone standing in that area will be liable (as if they were a 1st class passenger they would be sitting down).

I suspect once someone has been PF (Penalty Fare)'d for it they will think twice.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 19:46:03 »

FGW (First Great Western) are on the war path with first class abuse now thanks to numerous complaints from FC(resolve) passenegrs, and with the extension of Penalty fares areas many people will unfortunately be learning the hard way soon!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 19:53:47 »

Oh good. There are also colleagues of mine who think it's OK to walk through an open barrier at Swindon and out the other end at Bristol in the evening sans billet, and wonder when some of us criticise their behaviour. So I'm quite looking forward to PFs (Penalty Fare) in some ways.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 21:11:47 »

FGW (First Great Western) are on the war path with first class abuse now thanks to numerous complaints from FC(resolve) passenegrs, and with the extension of Penalty fares areas many people will unfortunately be learning the hard way soon!
Good, often people standing in the vestibule area tend to make a lot of noise because they are competing to be heard against the noise of the train which comes into the carriage because the door keeps opening. If you pay extra for something you should expect to get what you pay for and for me that is a bit of peace and quiet.

Whilst we are on this subject, and sorry to sound snobbish, I would love to ban the procession that takes place through first class on every departure out of Paddington. People really should walk down the platform. The only way I can see this being solved is to have 1st at the opposite end but this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum with the conclusion drawn that this would not find favour with many 1st class passengers. When a train is in reverse formation it is amazing how much quieter first class is at the start of the journey.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 21:18:32 »

Along with the procession through H-F (which I also find annoying!) can we amend the PF (Penalty Fare) rules to include a penalty for nicking the newspapers which are for FIRST CLASS PASSENGERS?

Tongue Roll Eyes Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 21:20:05 »

Along with the procession (which I also find annoying!) can we amend the PF (Penalty Fare) rules to include a penalty for nicking the newspapers which are for FIRST CLASS PASSENGERS?
Best way to stop that is for the customer host to hand them out, then collect them at the end of the journey.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 00:50:54 »

You know something - think I've complained over the same thing many a time - and often accused of being a snob or a first class bigot!  Not by anyone here but by other fora members..........

thankfully the problem is now getting wider recognition

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 03:09:49 »

How many staff does the average HST (High Speed Train) have on board these days? Maybe a good old fashioned meet and greet from the on board team and a quick glance at tickets woud keep everyone in the right place.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 10:21:52 »

Every HST (High Speed Train) during the week has a 1st Class Customer Host for the core of it's journey (before 7pm), though from my observation they have no remit to do anything other than serve from the trolley. That feels wrong to me, though no doubt there are reasons why.   
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 11:03:18 »

I hope that this rule will be enforced, apart from the issues already raised, standing in the vestibules of F + G impedes the work of the restaurant staff on the 18-03 which I use regularly.

I believe that first class should be at the country end as was suggested, in order to reduce the endless parade of rucksacks and baby carriages through first class.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 12:10:41 »

I believe that first class should be at the country end as was suggested, in order to reduce the endless parade of rucksacks and baby carriages through first class.
Maybe FGW (First Great Western) should do a survey, if they haven't done already, asking First Class passengers if this is something that they would consider. It would probably cut down on those 'trying it on' sitting in first until they are moved on as it moves the temptation further down the train by which time they would have found a seat in standard. The buffet car also tends to act as a barrier. Seems to work fine on EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) having first at the country end.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: