Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:24 Swansea to London Paddington
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 22:18:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: No Standard Class standees in First Class vestibules.  (Read 41736 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2010, 15:54:23 »

Some of them evening peaks are having Didcot withdrawn from the stopping patterns and being replaced with a 'relief' train.

Please get your facts right before posting something as specific as this.

Only one Fridays only HST (High Speed Train) is having its Didcot stop removed - and that's the 1915 (Swansea?).

A 1912 Oxford relief will have a stop at Didcot instead.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2010, 16:09:52 »

Or simply a sign stating "This train does not stop at Reading"
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2010, 16:13:20 »

I'm sure on-train announcements just prior to leaving, coupled with Revenue Inspectors for the first couple of weeks giving notrhing but verbal warnings would suffice.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2010, 16:28:49 »

Or maybe a written warning (name and address taken) and if caught again then ching time.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2010, 18:04:29 »

Is "laziness" something that really deserves a penalty of this severity: "The full peak single to Taunton is three figures? You'll only do that once....."?? Compare and contrast with fines for motoring offences, scarcely proportionate.  This is not something that would be considered fair in terms of natural justice, never mind customer service. There have to be better ways to manage demand.

Is it that dis-proportionate ?
The fine for driving in a bus lane is now ^120, a broadly similar figure.
Many motoring offences carry fines of ^100.
Repeated motoring offences can lead to loss of the driving licence, repeated payment of penalty fares, excess fares or similar does not bar one from use of the rail network.

Yes, it is entirely disproportionate. I'm astonished that you'd consider getting off a train which is pick up only to be remotely comparable to a motoring offence. It is this sort of thing that gives the railways a reputation for being customer unfriendly, inflexible and expensive. It is very easy to see this only from the perspective of the regular traveller, or the staff member, who understands the ticketing system and restrictions and is fully aware of the reasons why such restrictions are in place. People like us in other words. What you aren't seeing is how it appears to the infrequent traveller, or the person who never uses the railway but is a potential new customer. Stories about getting on the wrong train or having the wrong ticket and being hit with what is basically a large fine are very off-putting and give the railways a poor image. Companies with a good reputation for customer service simply don't do this sort of thing. Basically, if the rail operator doesn't want Reading passengers on a train then it  is up to the operator to find a way of discouraging them from getting on it that doesn't involve treating people like criminals.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2010, 18:25:13 »

Some of them evening peaks are having Didcot withdrawn from the stopping patterns and being replaced with a 'relief' train.

Please get your facts right before posting something as specific as this.

Only one Fridays only HST (High Speed Train) is having its Didcot stop removed - and that's the 1915 (Swansea?).

Yep thats what I meant.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2010, 18:34:26 »

In reply to your last post mjones, infrequent travellers would be looking to the departure boards to let them know when the next train to Reading is due to leave so wouldn't know to board the train thats pick up only as Reading will not be shown. It's the everyday travellers who know that the 18.03 will be stopping at Reading that need FGW (First Great Western) to get tough with. A partial solution would be for the Train manager before the train departs when informing passengers that off-peak tickets are not valid on this train also mentioning that all tickets incl seasons to Reading are also not valid.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2010, 20:08:26 »

Indeed, mjones, we were referencing season ticket holders, I believe.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2010, 21:15:51 »

Just wanted to say I dont believe there is any penalty for travelling on a train which is officially pick-up only.  Have never heard of one on such trains i have worked.  Most travellers go by the departure boards and only a few people who read these forums will know it stops there anyway.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2010, 11:10:01 »

And it's good that a relief service is being added to the timetable - though it does beg the question: where is the stock coming from?  It'll be a Turbo obviously.  Is something else being short formed (18:25ex PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)?) as a result?  If not, why can't this train run during the rest of the week when it would also be very helpful relieving the crush.  Either way, I predict it'll jump straight to the top of the cancellation charts as if there's any Turbo shortages it'll be simple to revert back to the Monday-Thursday timetable and cancel it.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2010, 12:00:07 »

Just wanted to say I dont believe there is any penalty for travelling on a train which is officially pick-up only.  Have never heard of one on such trains i have worked.  Most travellers go by the departure boards and only a few people who read these forums will know it stops there anyway.

There is a penalty (charging you to next set-down stop with or without a penalty fare).  It is just never enforced.  I don't have a problem with enforcement for repeat offenders IF it is a last resort and other things have been tried first.

So long as the penalty isn't a surprise I'd be OK with it. 

Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2011, 13:24:54 »

In response to the opening post, I would like to congratulate FGW (First Great Western) for ensuring that First Class is for First Class ticket holders only.

In recent weeks I have travelled in First with South West Trains (EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) to CLJ return) and various journeys on Southern, South Eastern, First Capital Connect, East Midlands Trains and Gatwick Express. Only East Midlands made any effort to ensure that those of us in First had paid for it and it was apparent that Standard ticket holders were casually occupying First on virtually every service. What ticket checks that were undertaken were only ever at the start of the journey eg Lewes (to Victoria), thus ensuring that First was crammed with French teenagers after Gatwick (oh joy!).

The SWT (South West Trains) EXD - WAT was crammed (3 coaches all the way to WAT Huh) and I personally have no problem with, for example, parents with small children being upgraded by the guard. However, as it was, a family emerged from Standard after Yeovil, celebrated finding four empty seats with a table and spent the rest of their journey discussing how they would 'make a stand' if asked for their tickets. They needn't have worried as two different guards blatantly ignored them on different occasions. My ticket? ^171 return. All I ask is that they were made to acknowledge that they were being given a one-off upgrade rather than - in my opinion - being ignored because of the 'hassle' involved.

I should perhaps make clear that I was travelling in a private capacity and that I was not claiming my tickets on expenses or using a pass. How do I know that other passengers in First have Standard tickets? Just watch and listen! Have used FGW for about a dozen EXD - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) return First trips in past 3 months and they are clearly making a determined effort to clamp down on Standard stragglers, even between Reading and PAD.

Incidentally, East Midlands First Class scores some points over FGW; china crockery laid out on table, prompt at-seat service, glossy 'welcome' brochure incorporating menus and a little more generous with the freebies (!). However, the seating layout of the Meridians (?) is poor, with several seats having no window and the general feel and decor inferior to FGW HST (High Speed Train). Long live the Mk 3!

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2011, 17:13:57 »

Agree with the above post, enforcement of first class USED to be very poor on FGW (First Great Western) and almost non existant between Reading and London.
It is now enforced with some vigour, I am glad to say.

As regards service in First class, the restaurant is very good, but 2 a day is not much.
Other at seat service is very variable in qaulity, sometimes frequent and obliging, sometimes less so and sometimes non-existant.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2011, 23:13:07 »

Agree with the above post, enforcement of first class USED to be very poor on FGW (First Great Western) and almost non existant between Reading and London.
It is now enforced with some vigour, I am glad to say.

Only on HSS (High Speed Services) services.  On Turbos it remains practically non existent.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2011, 23:15:55 »

I nearly fell off my seat when my ticket was checked between PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and OXF» (Oxford - next trains) on a Turbo a few weeks back. Don't think it was an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) though, and the service was running through to Worcester or Malvern, so I wonder if the guard who was due to take over at Oxford was on-board and just decided to do some revenue to pass the time.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: