Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 07:42:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Travel Card by September? (Solution to fare problems on SVB line)  (Read 3207 times)
matt473

View Profile Email
« on: March 27, 2010, 17:43:59 »

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/homepage/Bristol-travel-smart-card-ready-September/article-1949415-detail/article.html

Maybe this could be what is needed with the right equipment fitted at stations to record journies. Considering the council subsidise the line would not have thought this would be to difficult to sort out. Secondly, may be better in long run for intergration of public transport in Bristol with Busses, rail and the ferry
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 19:03:20 »

Looks good, but September seems a tad optimistic.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 09:15:18 »

But if the only ticket purchasing ability at the station is a smartcard, then arrangements need to be made for people who don't have one (e.g. the occasional traveller).  This would mean that tickets still need to be sold on the train, therefore giving the same problems as we have at present.

After all, would someone use a smartcard if they knew they could get away without paying?
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:21:33 »

After all, would someone use a smartcard if they knew they could get away without paying?

Some would not.  But there are also plenty who are honest enough to make reasonable efforts to pay and anything that makes life easier for those people is to be encouraged.  I suspect that the majority of the public are neither very honest nor very dishonest.  I count myself in this group.  I would always try and pay at the first opportunity (whether by TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) or on-board), but if overcrowding, an absent guard, no TVM and unbarriered stations conspire to make it impossible for me to pay easily,  I am not so honest that I would post the fare to FGW (First Great Western) when I got home.  I would however always pay if I had a smart card to make this easy.   

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 05:03:24 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) (31/07/2010):

Bristol smart card scheme for buses is expanded

A system of paying for bus fares in advance is expanding across Bristol after a successful trial. The smart cards will be introduced in August on 30 Wessex Connect bus routes into and around the city. Bristol City Council said they were also hoping to roll the scheme out to First Bus services across the west of England in March 2011.

Card users will get a 16% discount on fares and will be able to pre-pay for up to ^50 worth of tickets.

Councillor Gary Hopkins, the council's cabinet member for transport, said the trial had been run "on a shoestring" but that a ^1.1m award from central government meant the necessary technology could now be introduced.

The scheme has been trialled with Wessex Connect and the University of the West of England (UWE) Ulink buses.

'Save time'

Mr Hopkins said: "They're being used by staff at the moment, ensuring any glitches are knocked out of the system." The councillor added the cards, which are similar to London's Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) Card but are yet to be given a name, would "have a huge affect on fares" and "save huge amounts of time". "Having those cards, getting them widely used, will be absolutely a vital factor in improving transport across the city," he said. We've got promises from First Bus to actually introduce across the west of England from next March and now obviously we need to make certain that progresses. For the moment they're called smart cards, but we'd like to hear from people what they think would be the right name."

Ian Pollard, from Wessex Connect, said: "We are proud to be at the forefront of developing better access to bus services in the south-west by embracing new technology to offer improved ticket and pass options for people to get better value." He said passengers would be able to top-up value on their card on buses and, in future, at a network of shops.

A spokesman for First said it supported the scheme and was working with the council to implement it. He said: "We continue to discuss the introduction of smart card enabled ticket machines with all local councils throughout the region and the availability of public funding to facilitate this."

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: