Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
Delayed
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 20:44:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[177] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[54] access for all at Devon stations report
[34] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[28] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paddington to Grosvernor Square - can anyone advise...?  (Read 17714 times)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 01:31:48 »

I do think having an American Citizen with you helps then.. We had been told in advance (as I'm sure you know) that we weren't allowed to take mobile phones with us at all, not even turned off.. yet when we got there.. having abandoned my other two children in the cinema at marble arch with no way of contacting me (they had my phone!), we were told when we got there, that since we had an "american citizen" with us.. we could have used one of their lockers in the security check in bit, for any things like mobile phones.. Oh well.. I'll know next time.. Grin
A V Lowe

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 14:20:13 »

Anyone suggest cycling?  Paddington to Whitehall by bike is under 20 min and you can ride through the Royal Parks - Grosvenor Sq is even closer - say less than 10 min as my PB for Paddington-Euston is 10 min and 15 is ample time at any time of day.  Looks nicest to cut down to Hyde Park via London Street (cab ramp) and Sussex Place and then round to Brook Gate/Upper Brook Street (crossing of Park Lane/lights).
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 14:49:48 »

I have to admit that from my own extensive experience as a pedestrian in London, cycling looks as if it might by far be the best option. There's apparently no need at all to even slow down for zebra crossings; certainly no need to stop at red lights - and so long as you ring your bell cheerily, cyclists can even mount the pavement if the traffic happens to be stopped or crawling too close to the kerb for your liking.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 16:11:33 »

I have to admit that from my own extensive experience as a pedestrian in London, cycling looks as if it might by far be the best option. There's apparently no need at all to even slow down for zebra crossings; certainly no need to stop at red lights - and so long as you ring your bell cheerily, cyclists can even mount the pavement if the traffic happens to be stopped or crawling too close to the kerb for your liking.

Please do not slander all cyclists with your comments

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 16:29:57 »

I'm not! I cycle a lot myself! Only bought a shiny new bike last month actually, having finally worn the old one out. It does seem though that totally different rules apply out here in the sticks than in central London (you'll note I particularly mentioned that it was my own personal experience, and that I only mentioned London, since I don't have enough experience of other cities to comment). Maybe though it's just a case of my being a daft yokel who needs to keep an eye open for anything moving faster than a tractor  Grin
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 16:48:25 »

I saw a cyclist stop at a junction the other day, check it was clear, then proceed to cross a 4 way junction.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 18:59:00 »

Few years back in Greenwich...... dislocated shoulder, 6 stiches in my forehead, concussion and numerous bruises, cuts and grazes all courtesy of a damn cyclist who decided zebra crossing rules didn't apply to him. Failed to show in court so no recompense for me save for the damage my head did to his bike. Apparently he said to my girlfriend that I should've looked where I was going!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 00:31:02 »

I have to admit the only light I've ever jumped in London - its somewhere around notting hill/baywater after you cycle through southall

If your turn left in the opposite direction you get to kensington

Anyway - you go up the hill and come to a T junctions where you are on the T- its easy to cycle on the left through the red light and avoid the traffic coming off the stem and turning right.

Thats the only time i've ever jumped a light on a bike!  and usually when I need to get to Pad to get the train!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 00:59:43 »

Whenever I drive in London I always spot cyclists with the whole "rules of the road don't apply" hat on Tongue
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 03:08:00 »

Just as bad are the drivers of all vehicle types on the roads who think that it's okay to pass a red light because it's only just changed to red.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Richardfeloni

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2016, 17:49:27 »

Hi there this is my first post - but I have to tell you how difficult it was for me..

I left from Paddington on time for my Appointment at the Amercian Embassy... I decided to take the BUS! I took the 36 (or I could have taken the 436) from paddington station just by London street to Marble arch station / Park lane which was about 5 stops... This took about 10 minutes.... From there I walked to American Embassy Grosvenor square which was about 10 minutes so 20 minutes altogether using my Phones GPS. Nice walk through the park etc.

But then when I finally reached my appointment, guess what? My passport photos failed as they were UK (United Kingdom) passport photos which I took from Paddington station photo kiosk!!!! Was soooo upset.

So i had to reschedule, but on way back I took tube from Bond street to baker street (jubilee line) and then baker street to Paddington... I think it was easier by tube...

I rescheduled my appointment, but I needed to find somewhere that could take a US passport photo - it was a nightmare.. eventually I came across this store opposite Paddington Station called Reload Internet Passport photos, and they took the photo for quite a good price. The Photos passed in the embassy...

I think the UK passport size does not work with the US, and there are other rules in the photo, not sure why my original passport photo failed. Here is a link in case any one else needs it, as it took me quite a while to find them https://www.reloadinternet.com/us-passport-photo and they even do green card lottery photos... Not that I need one Wink

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 18:24:25 »

Hi there this is my first post - but I have to tell you how difficult it was for me..

Welcome to the forum, Richard.

We don't make it all that easy for travellers making a journey for the first time in the UK (United Kingdom) ... but then that applies the world over; I can tell you of similar experiences elsewhere in Europe and in the USA, with things differing.   I'm reminded of buying (and struggling) to get travel cards at Newark for the PATH, and being amazed to learn that my wife and I could swipe one of us through then pass the card back for the other person to swipe through too - hugely not allowed with an Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card, and a reminder that our countries are divided by a common language.   With passport pictures, sure, different jurisdictions and different rules.

Paddington to Grosvenor Square - I hate to suggest it - walk all the way if you're fit.   30 minutes, and by the time you wait for a bus (add that to your journey and walk at the end) or wait for 2 tubes, not much slower if at all.  And TfL» (Transport for London - about) don't charge you for walking yet.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: