Delayed
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 20:21:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[82] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[31] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Andrew Griffiths - Wessex Trains / First Great Western (merged topics)  (Read 13683 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2007, 12:23:55 »

For those of you who may wish to ask the FGW (First Great Western) Regional Manager of the Severn / Solent area about the December 2007 timetable or other issues , there is an ideal opportunity at 1900 on the above date at the Railway Inn , Westbury (West Wiltshire Rail Users Group Public meeting.)

I am sure that all matters Melksham will also get an airing at this meeting , and on the dates contained in the links below.
http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4089.msg7696#msg7696

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 19:56:23 »

Hope to be there, should be a good and informative meeting.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 18:19:51 »

I had many dealings with Andrew Griffiths under Wessex when he was business manager for Devon and Cornwall and he is a very approachable person and the success of the community rail strategy on the Cornish branch lines was mostly down to him, unfortunately all his hard work was undone by First group when they took over!

If he still has any influence then he is the man to change things!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 21:39:57 »

If this Andrew Haines is as good as he is "cracked up to be" on his past performances at his previous posts then the two Andrews might together get things moving in the direction that passengers want but I fear he has been handed a poisoned chalice this time. As for Andrew Griffiths, he appeared on television at the outset of the disquiet over the December 2006 TT change and he re-assured passengers that things would improve. They are at a snails pace although his indication was they would improve in the short term, a month.

You could liken the situation at FGW (First Great Western) as that of a football team, if the manager and head coach arent given the cash to buy new players you cant expect the team to be at the top.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 21:45:37 »

You could liken the situation at FGW (First Great Western) as that of a football team, if the manager and head coach arent given the cash to buy new players you cant expect the team to be at the top.
Sums up the whole thing nicely.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 11:38:52 »

I had many dealings with Andrew Griffiths under Wessex when he was business manager for Devon and Cornwall and he is a very approachable person and the success of the community rail strategy on the Cornish branch lines was mostly down to him, unfortunately all his hard work was undone by First group when they took over!

Unfortunately , he doesnt seem to care as much about the Cornish Branch Lines now. AG was directly responsible for taking units away from Cornish Branch Lines in January 2007 , thus causing their bustitution. How does this square with his former reputation as their "saviour"? (see page 7 of the link below.)
http://www.wellho.net/wccfoi/wccfgw1b.pdf

His actions resulted in this FGW (First Great Western) press release from January 2007 :

Rail replacement transport on the Looe Valley and St Ives branchlines.

Below is a letter from Glenda Lamont, Customer Services Director, apologising for the withdrawal of the train service and replacement road transport on the Looe Valley and St Ives branchline.

Dear Customer,

I regret to inform you that services on this branchline will be replaced by road transport up to and including Friday 12 january.

We have had to withdraw train services on this line due to a shortage of serviceable trains.

I would like to apologise for the fact that we have had to introduce this alternative service. I assure you that this issue is receiving our urgent attention and that customers will see a continual improvement in the provision of First Great Western services.

Glenda Lamont
Customer Services Director

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 12:32:55 »

Sorry but AG is a numpty as anyone who works under him at Temple Meads will tell you, even people from the old Wessex trains franchise say this. His comment on Points West re " We are in this buisness to make a profit" would confirm that. That statement must of done untold damage to FGW (First Great Western),s delicate reputation!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 17:17:32 »

The way things have been on West services these past few days may not make for a pleasant meeting for him.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 19:58:13 »

The way things have been on West services these past few days may not make for a pleasant meeting for him.

I certainly wouldn't want Andrew's job at the moment (or for the past 18 months, come to think of it!) 

Yet meetings can be held and pulled around;  I'm suspecting that Westbury on 9th October wouldn't be selected to announce something major (like trains from Westbury to Swindon at 08:10, 11:00 and 14:00), but that certainly would help turn the meeting around once we we re-assured it was real and not just a "holding proposal"  Undecided

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 05:35:46 »

Yet meetings can be held and pulled around;  I'm suspecting that Westbury on 9th October wouldn't be selected to announce something major (like trains from Westbury to Swindon at 08:10, 11:00 and 14:00), but that certainly would help turn the meeting around once we we re-assured it was real and not just a "holding proposal"  Undecided
[/quote]

Grahame, your forever an optimist, I say that with tongue in cheek, see my post on the Tranz Wiltz line "Dreaming".
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 06:44:59 »

Grahame, your forever an optimist, I say that with tongue in cheek, see my post on the Tranz Wiltz line "Dreaming".

A year ago, I gave us a 5% chance.  I now give us something ike a 35% to 40% chance - and I know that the case has been looked at rather more than trivially.  I am assured it is being looked at again even more seriously at the moment, for December 2008, and I would be even more optimistic if we hadn't been, frankly, had so many letdowns in the past.

Why am I so optimistic: because the more you look forward at the case, the stronger it is.  And the more you look back at the evidence gathered prior to the premeditated slaughter of the service last December, the more the old evidence backs up the future.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 16:12:11 »

Auto-reply from Andrew Griffiths :

I will be out of the office starting 20/12/2007 and will not return until 07/01/2008. I'm now on leave until Monday 7 January. For anything urgent please contact the Press Office on 01793 499499. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 17:14:22 »

Good to see he is having a decent break cos come the new year he's sure gonna need it.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 21:09:57 »

When I see the name AG I think,
"It will be better next week"

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 21:12:18 »

Maybe it's easier for him to take holiday than travel on FGW (First Great Western) this week to get to work!? If that's what he does...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: