15:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 16:12:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[106] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[94] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[93] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[83] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Train services at Bath Spa disrupted due to broken down train (8 April 2010)  (Read 6850 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 16:18:56 »

143s can go no further than Warminster
153s can go no further than Southampton Central
150s and 158s can go all the way to Portsmouth / Brighton
Is there a reason for this?  Can they physically not go that far in one journey or is it all to do with track clearances?

The fixed wheelbase of a 143 means that it's not allowed on the Southern Region of Network Rail - said to be because of all the third rail they've got in the area, but that's possibly just an excuse for Warminster to Salisbury

The 153's drivers steps foul the tunnel clearance at Southampton (again - in theory - one has got through in the past!) and indeed with the works done there over Christmas, they may now be cleared to Portsmouth.

I do have a picture from early 2007 showing 153s out of use at Eastleigh when they coul dhave had bums on their seats on the TransWilts or Bristol areas. I would presume they got there via Chandler's Ford or some other route ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 16:50:22 »

Salford, rather than Saltford.  Wink

Chris, am I missing something here...? Saltford = village between Bristol and Bath that the railway line runs very close to. Salford = place in Greater Manchester!

Although in all fairness, the local bus company didn't used to know the difference - for years the notice above the relevant bay in the old Bristol bus station said "X39, Bristol - Salford - Bath". No wonder it takes so long!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 16:53:44 »

My mistake - sorry!  Got them the wrong way round.  Roll Eyes Embarrassed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 18:06:45 »

1410 from Avonmouth to Westbury. Huh?

Whilst I was at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) yesterday awaiting the 1525 to WSM I did hear an announcement that a service to Westbury and onward to Portsmouth would be leaving from Platform 1, where my inbound from Shirehampton had recently arrived. I was across the station on 10 waiting for the WSM train so couldn't see what was going on. Unsure whether a 150 had platformed on 1 behind the 143 or if the 143 was being pressed into service to Pompey - not even sure 143's ever head down that way!
14:10 Avonmouth to Westbury (Freight Service operated by DBS» (Deutsch Bahn Schenker - UK (United Kingdom) website))
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 22:38:59 »

Cheers Ollie. Fixated on passenger services - I often forget that there are other users of our rail network. Embarrassed

Me guess that DBS» (Deutsch Bahn Schenker - UK (United Kingdom) website) train goes via Henbury - never seen freight on the SVB line through Clifton Down.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 23:16:47 »

The fixed wheelbase of a 143 means that it's not allowed on the Southern Region of Network Rail - said to be because of all the third rail they've got in the area, but that's possibly just an excuse for Warminster to Salisbury.
Blanket ban on all Pacer classes on the former SR(resolve). There was a special exemption granted for the 143's to run ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) to Eastleigh over a single set route for the refresh programme to take place. Apparently the axlebox / primary spring yokes & the metal front valance / battery cases (which are resiliently mounted on the underframe) on 143's get rather too close for comfort to the third rail when running in loaded condition. 142's obviously not cleared, there is no reason (or qualified FGW (First Great Western) crew) for them to run on the former SR.

Trundling gently round the SW
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 23:23:37 »

The 153's drivers steps foul the tunnel clearance at Southampton (again - in theory - one has got through in the past!) and indeed with the works done there over Christmas, they may now be cleared to Portsmouth.

One 153 did get through to Portsmouth in error. It had all its bogie steps and footboards removed and stowed for the journey back to Westbury as obviously it had to return on the up line. No2 end bogie steps are apparently the sticking point due to the bodyside door being nearer the end of the car at that end. The door footboards shoudn't be an issue, they did after all run to Portsmouth in the original 155 two car format.

Trundling gently round the SW
fullspeedahead

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 12:35:30 »

I recall some time ago being on one of the wessex trains class 153s (I think it was a Southampton to Swindon) where the failure of the leading cab just prior to departure from Soton meant that the driver had to swap ends and the train was diverted via Eastleigh, using the tunnel in the process. I think this mave been around 2002/2003.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: