Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 02:15 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 02:31:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 14:51 BRI - TAU - Saturday 08/05/2010  (Read 2726 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2010, 14:40:48 »

This was rather odd yesterday (Saturday 08/05/2010), Me and a friend were going to catch the 14:25 service to Weston-Super-Mare of off Platform 10 at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains), we had 1st tickets and noticed the CIS (Customer Information System) on platform 12 was showing that a TV carriage was in Coach B & D on the 14:51. So we assumed this was a HST (High Speed Train), knowing these have 1st Class we decided to wait.

The odd thing about the whole thing was this train had come from Cardiff Central. I checked the timetable on my iphone and this train was showing that it did not have 1st accomodation. However when the train turned up, it was most definately a HST. We got on the train and took a seat. The guard checked tickets and proceeded to move everyone who had Standard Class tickets out of 1st, even though the timetable said SC only!

So my question is, is this going to be a regular working on a saturday? or what exactly did someone at FGW (First Great Western) towers decide to do with the 14:51

Cheers,

TT

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 15:30:50 »

One of the options when strengthening is needed for Weymouth is to use a 125 on Cardiff - Taunton and send the carriages released down to the seaside.   Don't know if it will be regular, but according to what I hear, it's most certainly a planned option

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 19:26:35 »

It was indeed HST (High Speed Train) vice unit. I've travelled on this particular diagram when it has been an HST.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 19:33:23 »

The guard checked tickets and proceeded to move everyone who had Standard Class tickets out of 1st, even though the timetable said SC only!

That's an interesting one... I have a feeling that strictly speaking they can't do that if FC(resolve) happens to be provided on an advertised SC-only train. After all, remember all the ex-TPEx 158s that ran around with first class compartments for many months before being refurbished...
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 21:27:34 »

The guard checked tickets and proceeded to move everyone who had Standard Class tickets out of 1st, even though the timetable said SC only!

That's an interesting one... I have a feeling that strictly speaking they can't do that if FC(resolve) happens to be provided on an advertised SC-only train. After all, remember all the ex-TPEx 158s that ran around with first class compartments for many months before being refurbished...

But would he be allowed to "lock out" the coaches as such to keep passangers closer together instead of spread across the train to make it easier for them when it comes to people getting off at smaller stations.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 09:08:08 »

I seem to remember a court case on this several years ago I think around around Mirfield and the Calder Valley (well somewhere "oop ther") where all services were advertised as SC only being mainly 14X.

When a 156 or 158 turned up everyone piled in the FC(resolve).

The TOC (Train Operating Company) (or it may have been still BR (British Rail(ways))) tried to surcharge people even no FC fares were quoted for the route.

I believe it  went to court and surprisingly, in my view, I seem to remember the TOC won.

So the guard may well have been right to turn them out as in your case.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 10:50:05 »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that if a train with FC(resolve) accomodation turns up on a route where there are only services with SC and thus no published FC fares, the guard or train manager is entitled to charge people sitting in FC the relevant full Anytime Single SC fare plus 50%, no matter what time of day it is and what ticket they already hold.
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 11:07:36 »

Last week (I can't remember which evening) the 18.51 service to Oxford from Paddington had an unusual carriage arrangement where carriage E in what would normally be standard class was a "re-badged" First class coach G reporting to be carriage E.

The problem was that to the typical passenger it appeared First Class so hardly anyone sat in it.  People stood instead waiting to find out if they could sit there or not.

Unfortunately, even though the train was rammed with all the vestibules full no announcement made the situation clear.  On leaving Paddington the train manager instead of saying coaches A-E are standard class and F-H first class (which is usual in my experience) simply stated that standard class was towards the front and first class towards the rear which didn't help the situation at all.  In the end the carriage was basically unused all the way to Reading because no-one knew it's status.

Boppy.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 13:14:00 »

That's not good if it was standing room only. In my experience some TM(resolve)'s make it very clear that the coach in question is available for standard pax, whereas others leave you guessing. And of course, the majority of people will not know or work out what the position is, and those that suspect will probably err on the safe side.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: