27/04/24 14:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
14:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 11:05:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Train goes from Paddington Platform 13 BUT platform 12 is closed...  (Read 6253 times)
johoare

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2010, 22:32:45 »

I was on the 19.44 home tonight (9/5) from Paddington to Maidenhead. I've put on here before my feelings about overuse of platforms 13/14.. Tonight we got to Paddington 10 minutes early to find that yet again we'd have to trek to platform 13.. BUT platform 12 was closed. The information boards suggested walking along platform 8 and going over the bridge, although I decided 10/11 was closer so we went that way..Obviously we had more than enough time to get to the train..

Platforms 10/11 were empty the the whole 10 minutes we were there and yes I know, someone will no doubt tell me that there was a good reason for this.. Some other train was probably hoping to use those platforms at some point, or maybe they were closed to trains but not people.. But not only did people have to sprint today, they had the first confusion of "how do we get there" which caused an initial delay, followed by the long run.

Today I saw old people running, a lady with a disabled child (both) running and a slight large person (sorry!) running.. This is so wrong.. Some unhappy people also missed the train as they didn't sprint fast enough..

I know a lot of people on here don't agree with my opinion in the use of platform 13/14 and say that we should all arrive at Paddington in enough time.. Well I did today.. But I do not like seeing people having to run for trains.. It happens EVERY time platform 13/14 is used and FGW (First Great Western) or NR» (Network Rail - home page) or someone needs to address this because if someone got hurt/ill/died there would be an outcry..
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 22:39:00 »

Platforms 10/11 were empty the the whole 10 minutes we were there and yes I know, someone will no doubt tell me that there was a good reason for this.. Some other train was probably hoping to use those platforms at some point, or maybe they were closed to trains but not people.. But not only did people have to sprint today, they had the first confusion of "how do we get there" which caused an initial delay, followed by the long run.
If platform 12 is shut I can only make an assumption that maybe 10/11 was as well, maybe connected to the works to Span 4?

Unfortunately I can't give you a definite answer.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 22:41:20 »

Thanks Ollie. I did wonder.. People were allowed to walk (I mean run very fast) down those two platforms though.. Grin Cheesy
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 22:45:26 »

Thanks Ollie. I did wonder.. People were allowed to walk (I mean run very fast) down those two platforms though.. Grin Cheesy
Oh maybe not then if people could go down them? Aha I really don't know, although saying that, when a train I was on from Twyford to Paddington came in on 13 the other day there was certainly a lot going on down 12, much narrower than normal?
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 22:48:35 »

Platform 12 is almost dangerously narrow I think at the moment (after we got dropped there rather than our usual platform on Friday morning).. Especially as the running people who want to get the train are trying to get to it through the rest of us walking the other way hoping we might get to work on time  Cheesy Grin Wink
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 22:52:54 »

I think johoare makes a fair point about overuse of 13/14 when there appears to be room on other platforms.

It must be even worse now with the T cup and every westbound train from the Circle going to Hammersith and dumping Padd people on 15/16.

What it must be like in the peak when a train arrives on 13/14 at the same time as Hammersmith I dread to think.

Which is why I always try and time my jopurney out of Padd to catch the fast Oxford and change at Slough. Even if it means having to have a pint in the Bear and Ragged Staff.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 22:58:34 »

Not sure there was a fast Oxfords at all when I was trying to travel or I might have also changed at Slough.. Oh well..A pint sounds a good plan but I had three children with me so best no.. Grin
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 23:00:31 »

Not sure there was a fast Oxfords at all when I was trying to travel or I might have also changed at Slough.. Oh well..A pint sounds a good plan but I had three children with me so best no.. Grin
19:42, so you would have waited for the 19:44 to come through anyway.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 23:20:26 »

Ollie is probably right it's dodgy getting the fast Oxfords on Sunday especialy if there is engineering work on the mains between Padd and Slough as it can get caught behind the stopper on the Relief. Even if you do check out full engineering work you can still get caught if they decide at short notice to fiddle with Airport Junction which seems to be happening more often these days.

Fast Oxford usually works on weekday though.
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 00:24:25 »

Yeah works on a weekday, although sometimes can be a bit crowded.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 10:56:35 »

This morning when using the stairs up from platforms 10/11 to the footbridge I noticed that over the weekend a temporary sign had been placed on them at platform level pointing the way to 13/14. Maybe there had been some sort of attempt to route passengers along 10/11 but there's nothing to suggest from Jo's posts that there was any signage at the concourse.

Incidentally two weeks ago I missed a train at a remote platform at Dublin Connolly when I was travelling to a place called Bray on the local DART electric railway system. I arrived at the main concourse at Connolly to discover that a train for Bray would be leaving in three minutes from platform 6. What I didn't realise (I saw no signage to warn me) was that to get to platform 6 you have to go two-thirds the length of platform 4, down some steps, through a subway and up a very long ramp. And yes I got there just to see the doors of the train closing.

I guess there are many stations around the world with remote platforms but I wish the train operators would make their existence much clearer. (and in the case of Paddington I wish they'd make more effort not to use 13/14!)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 21:03:32 »

Reminds me a bit of last minute platform changes at the West end of Bristol TM(resolve)............... Cheesy Cheesy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: