Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 03:35 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 03:50:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Various 'open-top bus conversion' incidents, usually involving railway bridges  (Read 77559 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2015, 18:41:28 »

High on the suspension, or even over inflated tyres.

The clearance sign says 13'9. A standard height Plaxton President is 14'6, A Low height is 13'9 apparently so a low height should scrape through

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2015, 19:24:14 »

Indeed, and IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) there are a number of similar signs on each side of the road. Before moving from London I frequently used buses along that road. I never went upstairs having observed numerous very near misses and several busses striking trees, though with less dramatic consequences than this time.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2015, 20:11:07 »

Another conversion, this time in Central London.
London bus roof torn off after it hits trees

The roof of a bus has been ripped off after it hit overhanging trees in central London.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31097083
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2015, 21:41:24 »

next!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-doubledecker-bus-has-entire-roof-ripped-off-by-railway-bridge-10108592.html

Noting that it's hardly obvious from the bridge (in the background of the photos) that it's low  Grin !!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2015, 22:42:02 »

next!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-doubledecker-bus-has-entire-roof-ripped-off-by-railway-bridge-10108592.html

Noting that it's hardly obvious from the bridge (in the background of the photos) that it's low  Grin !!

It looks like it may be tight for a single decker.

GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2015, 07:07:37 »

My thoughts with the driver, and the subsequent inquiry. There but for the grace...........

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2015, 22:18:15 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Roof ripped off Thorpe Park-bound school trip bus

The double-decker had been carrying 76 pupils on an end-of-term theme park trip

Eleven passengers have been taken to hospital after the top deck of a school bus was ripped off when it hit a railway bridge.

The double-decker had been carrying 76 pupils on an end-of-term theme park trip when it reportedly took a wrong turn in Staines, Surrey. It had been due to take the children to Thorpe Park, in Chertsey, when it crashed about two miles away.

None of the children on board the bus were seriously injured. However, South East Coast Ambulance Service reported one person with a suspected back injury and a further 10 with minor injuries were taken to local hospitals. A further 58 passengers were assessed and treated at the scene.

The bus had been carrying pupils from St John's School in Epping, Essex. A statement on the school's website said the trip had been a reward for pupils awarded a high number of house points.

The roof of the bus was left on the road behind the bridge

"We have spoken to a number of staff and we are able to confirm that there are no serious injuries although some students may have suffered some cuts and bruises," it said.

Reports of the crash, at the junction of Riverside Drive and Chertsey Lane, were first received just after 10:00 GMT, The road is expected to remain closed for a significant period of time and motorists have been advised to avoid the area if possible.

Bus owner Galleon Travel said it was arranging for return travel to the school for some children, while some parents had already collected pupils.

Surrey Police said the road was expected to be closed for some time

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2015, 23:12:22 »

Not the first time UKIP have had problems with modes of transport.  Remember Election Day 2010?  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/8664260.stm

The report suggests, to me, pilot error as the primary cause. There is no reason to think that the type of aircraft was at fault - Polish Wilgas are robust and simple. The irony doesn't escape me.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 15:08:30 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2015, 20:26:02 »

A double-decker bus struck a tree and lost its roof in Bristol injuring 18 people, seven of whom were taken to hospital.

Crews were called to Fishponds Road following the accident involving the 342 service just after 07:40 BST.

Great Western Ambulance Service said those injured mainly had head injuries, but none was seriously hurt.

The busy road was closed for several hours but reopened just before 12:00 BST.

Operator First Bus confirmed one of its fleet had been involved in the incident.

'Loud bang'

"The top of the double-decker bus was in collision with some tree branches which were hanging over the road," a First Bus spokeswoman said. "The bus was in service at the time, with a number of passengers on board. Our teams are on the scene and are working with the relevant authorities to determine exactly what has happened. Our thoughts are currently with those people who were on the bus at the time of the incident and their friends and family."

Jonathan Pomeyie, who lives nearby, said he had been at the back of his house making a cup of tea when he heard a loud bang.

"It was a very deep impact type of sound, like an explosion. At first I wasn't too sure what it was. I [later] got a phone call from one of my friends who said there had been a bus accident so I looked out of a window to see if there were any delays to the traffic. I saw police, paramedics and firemen everywhere. It was a horrid and unbelievable sight to wake up to."

In the interests of continuity, this one now looks like this, and lives in Cornwall. It is intended for the new Falmouth Open Top service. Seen at Penzance running day.

V124LGC by Rich.W., on Flickr

Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2015, 20:36:43 »

A double-decker bus struck a tree and lost its roof in Bristol injuring 18 people, seven of whom were taken to hospital.

Crews were called to Fishponds Road following the accident involving the 342 service just after 07:40 BST.

Great Western Ambulance Service said those injured mainly had head injuries, but none was seriously hurt.

Operator First Bus confirmed one of its fleet had been involved in the incident.

'Loud bang'

"The top of the double-decker bus was in collision with some tree branches which were hanging over the road," a First Bus spokeswoman said. "The bus was in service at the time, with a number of passengers on board. Our teams are on the scene and are working with the relevant authorities to determine exactly what has happened. Our thoughts are currently with those people who were on the bus at the time of the incident and their friends and family."

Jonathan Pomeyie, who lives nearby, said he had been at the back of his house making a cup of tea when he heard a loud bang.

"It was a very deep impact type of sound, like an explosion. At first I wasn't too sure what it was. I [later] got a phone call from one of my friends who said there had been a bus accident so I looked out of a window to see if there were any delays to the traffic. I saw police, paramedics and firemen everywhere. It was a horrid and unbelievable sight to wake up to."

In the interests of continuity, this one now looks like this, and lives in Cornwall. It is intended for the new Falmouth Open Top service. Seen at Penzance running day.

We had that bus back to Camborne this evening oh why oh why did I sit up top lol I'm still trying to warm up now!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2015, 20:41:35 »

'Loud bang'

We had that bus back to Camborne this evening oh why oh why did I sit up top lol I'm still trying to warm up now!

Open top down a dual carriageway sounds a great choice!

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2015, 20:53:38 »

Open top down a dual carriageway sounds a great choice!

Indeed!  Wink Cheesy Grin

However, purely to make it easier for those of our readers using mobile devices, could we please not use a generic 'reply with quote', whenever possible - particularly when those previous posts include images?

Thanks, CfN.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2015, 09:32:44 »

Another conversion in Norwood, South London yesterday.

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-07-19/pictures-top-of-a-bus-sliced-off-as-it-crashes-into-bridge/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2015, 19:32:35 »

Oh, the irony ... detached roof of bus ends up behind the sign warning that there was no way a double-decker would be able to pass under it:

Roll Eyes

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2015, 18:45:38 »

Not a bus but an artic truck had a open top conversion yesterday on the A3047 at Scorrier just outside Redruth yesterday.
The entire body of the trailer came off.

Haven't seen news article yet. There has been 3 bridge strikes at this location in recent months having heard nothing in many years.

The signs indicate in imperial only 15'3. (4.6482m). The lorry was reportedly measured by police as 4.6 metres high. (I've heard this from a local lorry driver known to me, seen nothing official reported)

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: