1st May (1851)
Great Exhibition opens (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 00:51:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Various 'open-top bus conversion' incidents, usually involving railway bridges  (Read 77668 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 17:31:09 »

Yet another one:

From BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) News (28/01/2013):

Bus has roof torn off in Hampshire railway bridge crash

The roof of a double-decker bus was ripped off when the bus got stuck under a railway bridge in Hampshire. The out-of-service bus hit the railway bridge in Station Road in Portchester at about 09:40 GMT. Fire crews said the bus and its roof were left on opposite sides of the bridge. The bus driver, a 45-year-old man, was treated at the scene for shock.

Another bus run by operator First Group was involved in a similar crash at the same spot almost five months ago.

Police and about 15 firefighters were called to the scene.

A crane is to be used to remove the top of the bus from the bridge, where it had become stuck.

'Severe shock'

Paul Coates, Fareham station manager, said: "The top of the double-decker bus stayed there and the rest of it went through. We closed the road and made the scene safe, and gave first aid to the driver until the ambulance arrived. We gave him oxygen because he was quite in shock when we arrived."

A spokeswoman for Hampshire Constabulary said: "Nobody was on the bus but the driver - it was out of service at the time. The driver was in severe shock and was treated by ambulance crews at the scene."

Experts from Network Rail were called to assess the scene and the road was shut for about three hours.

Operator First Group said it was investigating the incident.

A spokeswoman said: "We are as concerned by this incident as we suspect other local people will be. The exact cause of it is being investigated and the appropriate action will be taken as a result. It is too early to speculate as to what the outcome of the investigation will be. In relation to the previous incident, the cause of that was determined to be human error and the appropriate action was taken as a result."

A Network Rail spokesperson said: "When road vehicles strike railway bridges, it can cause damage, delay and cost to the railway. Thankfully, owing to sturdy engineering by the Victorians, rarely is the damage significant but we have to send an engineer to site to inspect and often we have to delay or even stop trains until this has been done."

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 17:34:30 »

This one BNM is an exact copy of one a few months back, I initially thought you'd posted an old article!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 17:50:54 »

Same make of bus as last time as well - Volvo Olympian - although slightly different body style.

News item from the Daily Mail about previous 'conversion' at the same location: http://tinyurl.com/cnehg8v

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 17:55:05 »

Same make of bus as last time as well - Volvo Olympian - although slightly different body style.

News item from the Daily Mail about previous 'conversion' at the same location: http://tinyurl.com/cnehg8v

Whats the difference in body style other than one has a clean opentop conversion and the other has a front upright!

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 18:01:46 »

I've just done some Googling and Olympians seem to be the ones that most commonly strike bridges.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 18:15:31 »

Both incidents involved Volvo Olympians with Northern Counties Palatine bodies, although the first one had dual doors. Both buses are from the same First in Hampshire & Dorset depot - Hoeford.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 18:20:41 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 18:20:43 »

Both incidents involved Volvo Olympians with Northern Counties Palatine bodies, although the first one had dual doors. Both buses are from the same First in Hampshire & Dorset depot - Hilsea.
Taking this thread off topic - BUT - I didn't think Hilsea depot had any double deckers, they are more likely to be from Hoeford depot.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 18:26:21 »

Apologies for the depot error. I was reading the fleet lists and got confused. I edited my post just before Network SouthEast replied.

The two roofless Olympians do indeed belong to Hoeford depot near Fareham.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 18:29:09 »

Well if its repaired first cymru need a new open topper to replace Bristol VR MOD571P which is now in preservation and so wont be operating the Swansea open top bus service this summer.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 19:01:24 »

Well if its repaired first cymru need a new open topper to replace Bristol VR MOD571P which is now in preservation and so wont be operating the Swansea open top bus service this summer.

Not much repair needed for that, just maybe a screen at the front and a rail all round from other conversions!

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 19:11:58 »

Bus has roof torn off in Hampshire railway bridge crash

A spokeswoman said: "... The exact cause of it is being investigated "

I reckon the driver tried to get under a bridge that was too low...

Edited to fix quote. bignosemac
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 20:13:34 by bignosemac » Logged

Now, please!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 11:46:44 »

Maybe they've all been watching Roger Moore in 'Live and Let Die'?   Grin

Paul
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 09:51:54 »

When the pressure is on a driver, mistakes happen.  They are only human,
That said, they have an enormous responsibility at all times when in the cab.
Driving single and double deckers all day long, different routes, different busses, daily varied shifts.
Sudden changes of routes & diversions all add up to a very demanding job.
I can see why this happens.
The hours drivers spend in the cab per week (39+), incidents are bound to happen.
Doesn't excuse it, as the basic fault is always "lack of attention"

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 21:04:37 »

Thanks for posting, GBM - and welcome to the Coffee Shop forum.  Smiley

Do you offer those comments as a bus driver yourself?

I'm interested as to what reminders bus drivers may be given about 'low bridges on your new route' if their duties are changed at such short notice?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 21:18:21 »

I can now understand the used to single deck comments having seen a friends reaction earlier this evening. Not quite the same but I was passenger with a friend who was driving a high top transit, normally he uses a standard lower top transit. He took out the height restrictor bar at a fast food drive thru that his normal transit goes through daily. It took him a few seconds to realise what he'd just done and remember it was a high top transit. Can only imagine if someone is driving a single decker day in day out they would forget they are in a double decker if it isnt their normal bus

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: