Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:50:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Complete FGW Timetable book.  (Read 11541 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 12:49:05 »

Wonder what Blackburn and Harringay would become.  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 13:32:31 »

And that was the new timetable book valid from 23rd May 2010 was it? First Great Western Customer Services have told me again that it is ^5. I fear you forked out ^3 for something that is now out of date.

I fear you were mis-informed by Customer Services - There was a poster up at PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) this weekend advertising the *new* book for ^3.....shame they hadn't actually got any yet...

Called again and Customer Services phoned Bristol TM(resolve) Ticket Office for me (can't get out today). They've found 'em! but hardly any ticket staff new they were in and even the Station Manager was unaware. He confirmed to the CS advisor that the cover price is indeed ^3. So it looks like CS have been given duff information to pass on. Not the first time this has happened and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Nonsence the FGW (First Great Western) Network Timetable is still only ^3.00 and available from main staffed FGW stations.  I got mine from the ticket office at Oxford last week without any problem at all.  Makes it much easier to understand connections than the plethora of mini-books that never have the full service in them!

Nice one FGW!

Sorry I doubted you gwr2006.  Embarrassed Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 00:36:40 »

It's bad the message wasn't consistent, the timetable brief that was sent out in April was pretty clear:

"Colleague Guide / A5 Network Timetable:
As for December 2009, the Colleague Guide will be issued to all staff and the customer version, known
as the Network Timetable, will be available to purchase at a cost of ^3 from selected locations.
These are: Bath Spa, Bristol Parkway, Bristol Temple Meads, Cheltenham Spa, Exeter St Davids,
London Paddington, Newbury, Oxford, Penzance, Plymouth, Reading, Slough, Swindon, Taunton, Truro
and Westbury.
Please see appendix 2 for retailing instructions of the A5 Network Timetable.
We have also made the following changes to the composition of this product:
^ Route mileage is included in station banks.
^ New ^Special Events^ section.
^ Section on GW175, events and information on the 175th anniversary of the Great Western Railway.
^ We have added a station index to make it easier to locate your chosen timetable.
^ The First Great Western route map will show table numbers, again to aid navigation.
Delivery of this publication will be made on or before Friday 14 May"
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 18:18:58 »

Got me copy from the ticket office at Temple Meads this morning. Told the guy who sold it to me that I'd phoned FGW (First Great Western) CS to enquire about it. He told me that the CS advisor that had phoned the BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) ticket office on my behalf on Sunday was extremely rude, stating as fact that the cover price was ^5 and the person she spoke to must have been looking at the old stock. Felt a bit guilty that I'd caused hassle for the staff at BRI. Still, not my fault if internal politics cause problems. I just wanted accurate information!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 20:14:27 »

Hmm. Thanks for posting that, bignosemac.

I, too, saw - or heard - an example of what I considered to be unprofessional conduct by FGW (First Great Western) staff, at Westbury this morning.

It's so easy for just a very few FGW staff to give completely the wrong impression to all of us 'customers / passengers' who witness such behaviour.

Chris  Shocked Roll Eyes Angry

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 20:28:50 »

I, too, saw - or heard - an example of what I considered to be unprofessional conduct by FGW (First Great Western) staff, at Westbury this morning.

Care to expand on that, Chris?  Wink

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 20:53:50 »

Still, not my fault if internal politics cause problems.

Hmm. That's what struck a chord with me.  This morning, hearing one uniformed member of FGW (First Great Western) staff shout his opinion (including an expletive) of the alleged inefficiency of the station manager, down the open platform to another member of staff, was rather unprofessional, I thought.

Just for the record, I personally saw his particular point - but the proverbial 'little old lady', in the open-doored waiting room situated halfway between them, probably had a fit of the vapours ...  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 21:18:35 »

Engaging staff in conversations about aspects of the service they work on can often elucidate some choice comments.

On my day out today I travelled on an XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service from Exeter to Bristol. (See This thread) I had the TM(resolve) and trolley arrive at my seat at the same time, and whilst the TM was getting his head round my split-ticket, I asked the trolley guy whether XC were ever going to accept credit/debit cards again for catering purchases. The TM said that Arriva were probably happy to keep it cash only to get round VAT (Value Added Tax) rules!! Whilst this made absolutely no sense it did amuse me and I replied that surely with Arriva being taken over by DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) they could look forward to German efficiency. The TM then said that the day he has to start working for the Germans is the day he quits! He also said that DB are looking to replace the Vomiters as soon as. Now, that's something I'd agree with, but with the complicated rolling stock procurement we have in the UK (United Kingdom) I can't see it happening 'as soon as'.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 21:48:29 »

Chatting to staff can indeed be very worthwhile.

At the risk of going a bit off-topic here, the guard on my train from BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) this morning was brilliant.  He seemed a bit startled at my 'Nailsea & Backwell to Dilton Marsh'(!) journey, but he cheerfully gripped my ticket and said he'd make sure I was dropped off at Dilton Marsh.  Apparently, while we both had to 'change at Westbury', it's the same train, which then goes on to Warminster: it just has to be moved out of the way of three other trains, which all arrive at Westbury at the same time!  Roll Eyes

Sure enough, I watched all this happen, and duly arrived at DMH» (Dilton Marsh - next trains) as planned - with my thanks to that Guard for his friendly chat! Smiley

Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 18:46:39 »

I recall seeing a few posts earlier about the All Line Timetable and a few comments about the mileages missing and smaller print etc.

Well I bought a copy yesterday and I do have to question the reliability of its contents. For instance, table 126 (London to Oxford/Worcester and Hereford) has a whole heap of services missing. On Mondays to Fridays, the 0548 Padd to Gt Malvern, and 2148 Padd to Shrub Hill do not exist; on Saturdays, the first and last trains ex Paddington are not listed. Sundays are even worse, with nothing between the 1342 Paddington to Worcester and the 2127 (though the Sunday service in the opposite direction appears to be complete).

In the other direction on Mondays to Fridays, the last 2 trains don't show, whilst on Saturdays, it shows a 3 hour gap mid morning (nothing between the 0943 Gt Malvern to Padd and the 1213 Hereford to Padd).

I decided to look at Table 116 (London to Oxford), to see whether these missing trains appear in this table, but again they don't.

So all in all, its a pretty poor show and I must question if I'll buy the next one that comes out. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 19:10:03 »

Indeed. However the .pdf version available online appears to be a bit more accurate. So save your money next time and just download the National Rail Timetable, then just print off the bits you need on a per journey basis; that's what I do.

Just for clarification, it appears Steve Bray is referring to the National Rail Timetable and not FGW (First Great Western)'s Network Timetable.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 19:15:39 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 19:47:30 »

Indeed. However the .pdf version available online appears to be a bit more accurate. So save your money next time and just download the National Rail Timetable, then just print off the bits you need on a per journey basis; that's what I do.

Just for clarification, it appears Steve Bray is referring to the National Rail Timetable and not FGW (First Great Western)'s Network Timetable.

The online pdfs were in a chaotic state a few weeks ago though, just at the time the paper versions would have been going to print. A cynic might suggest NR» (Network Rail - home page) don't want them to be accurate, then people would stop asking for them...

Paul
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 19:52:55 »

The timetables could do with being made into a computer program, like Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) Traveller.

I don't buy the paper timetable as it is too bulky to carry.  Instead I keep a PDF of the whole timetable on my computer, which can be searched wherever I am and whether or not there is an internet connection available.  Its an awful document to navigate due to its length and the lack of any clickable contents/index tables.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 20:07:08 »

There is an index to individual tables/maps on the .pdfs though:

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 20:10:23 »

There is an index to individual tables/maps on the .pdfs though
Thank you ever so much bignosemac.  I don't know how many years I've been scrolling through or using the search function to find a table  Shocked Roll Eyes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: