Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:10 Newbury to Reading
Short Run
07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 10:07:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[83] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[17] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[16] access for all at Devon stations report
[10] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[8] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol-Birmingham via Didcot diversions - are we likely to see these again?  (Read 7362 times)
XPT

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2010, 19:06:41 »

I remember back in 1998 there being some interesting diversions between Bristol and Birmingham during engineering works.  The services would run via Bath, Swindon, Didcot, Oxford, Leamington Spa, and Birmingham International.    I can't actually remember if these services actually ran non-stop between Bristol and Birmingham or not.  I do remember they Didn't stop at Bath, Chippenham, Swindon, and Didcot though.   Anyway, these were a very interesting diversion(especially back in those days with Valenta HST (High Speed Train)'s and Class 47's).  Pretty much a completely different route to the normal route.

I don't think this diverted route has been used since then as far as I'm aware.  I do know that there are regular engineering works between Cheltenham and Birmingham.  But the way it works now seems to be train between Bristol and Gloucester.  Then a rail replacement bus service onto Birmingham.    Why do they not have trains running via the diverted route via Didcot anymore?   Is it because since 1998, Network Rail have not allowed Virgin Trains/Arriva Cross Country to operate along the Great Western mainline between Bath and Didcot Parkway?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 19:21:26 by XPT » Logged
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 19:32:26 »

That diversion was in use more recently than 1998 - I certainly caught a diverted Virgin XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service from Temple Meads to get back to Oxford in the autumn/winter of 2001. Route from what I recall was up Filton Bank, calling at Bristol Parkway then non-stop to Oxford, using the west curve at Foxhall Junction to avoid Didcot. The service I was on certainly called at Oxford (that was where I was going...) but not sure about other stations going forward.

I suspect such diversions are unlikely today given the large increase in frequency in cross country services, bearing in mind that they roughly doubled in 2002, which would make capacity north of Didcot an issue (and possibly also on the GWML (Great Western Main Line) between Bristol and Didcot).
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 22:33:05 »

It is possible that Foxhall Junction may be used by FGW (First Great Western) HSTS during the Reading blockade Xmas 2010, from the West round to Oxford to Banbury reverse and up to Padd
willc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 00:18:18 »

Yes, that's the plan.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 06:32:27 »

It is possible that Foxhall Junction may be used by FGW (First Great Western) HSTS during the Reading blockade Xmas 2010, from the West round to Oxford to Banbury reverse and up to Padd

If only the chord had been built at Bicester

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
willc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 09:27:31 »

But not a lot of use without speed and capacity enhancements between Oxford and Bicester too. Even after Evergreen3 is completed, there won't actually be a lot of spare capacity over and above what is needed for Chiltern's services, plus the odd binliner to Calvert and MoD freight to Bicester, due to the decision on cost grounds not to carry out full redoubling because of the work that embankments need in places. That would only be tackled if East-West is ever funded.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 16:38:35 »

I believe the plan is roughly one train per hour from Swansea to Paddington via Banbury and one train per hour from Devon/Cornwall via Bristol TM(resolve) to Paddington.  By the time they reverse at Banbury and with the need to fit in a slightly reduced normal Chiltern Line service, squeezing any more that way would probably be a non-starter.  Cotswold Line trains are to terminate/start at Oxford and Cheltenham/Gloucester's to run as a shuttle to/from Swindon.  Things might get busy on the HST (High Speed Train)'s via Banbury, but it's a whole heap better than trying to turf all of the punters on to buses, which will be busy enough operating the routes between Didcot/Reading/Maidenhead and the North Downs and Kennet/Basingstoke lines!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 17:57:32 »

Will make a weekend first supplement seem quite good value with an extra hour on the train (and overcrowding in standard due to the reduced number of services operating.)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 18:04:26 »

And the joy to come of the Crossrail blockades at Stockley Park and East Ealing / West Acton and we won't mention the throat of OOC (Old Oak Common (depot))

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 18:25:34 »

If capacity on the Chiltern route becomes a problem, is there not a case for doubling up Chiltern's units and them running a 50% service. I'm reminded of when FGW (First Great Western) run via Honiton and Axminster - traditionally SWT (South West Trains) have just been bounced out of the way for the bigger trains - same could happen on Chiltern, hopefully by negotiation of course.

IF theoretically the Bicester Oxford improvements and curve were finished, wouldn't FGW have been able to fit into the paths supposedly available for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) or freight anyway - at least as far as Bicester... Huh

Lastly, I believe there is now an evening HST (High Speed Train) from Banbury to Paddington (via Oxford) under the new timetable - is this for train crew practice on part of the route?

Paul
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 23:02:04 »

The advertised Banbury - Oxford HST (High Speed Train) in the evening was a mistake - it doesn't exist.

The Christmas Reading block will see two train per hour from Swindon to Oxford, via Foxhall curve, and on to London via Banbury, with a new signal installed at Banbury to permit up departures from the down platform. Journey time from Oxford to Padd will be about 1hr 40min. These services will be ex Bristol and Swansea, and vice versa. Services to/from the South West will run via Westbury, Salisbury, Basingstoke and Waterloo.

Some great journey opportunities!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 23:05:38 »

How long is this blockade going to be and what are the proposed dates?

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
willc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 00:28:38 »

If capacity on the Chiltern route becomes a problem, is there not a case for doubling up Chiltern's units and them running a 50% service. I'm reminded of when FGW (First Great Western) run via Honiton and Axminster - traditionally SWT (South West Trains) have just been bounced out of the way for the bigger trains - same could happen on Chiltern, hopefully by negotiation of course.

IF theoretically the Bicester Oxford improvements and curve were finished, wouldn't FGW have been able to fit into the paths supposedly available for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) or freight anyway - at least as far as Bicester...

Not too difficult to slot in FGW trains. The weekend Chiltern line timetables happily accommodate an hourly Virgin Voyager service each way when needed during engineering closures between London and Rugby. Take out Chiltern's London-Bicester services, say, and you open up more paths - though that might not be such a great idea given the traffic mayhem there was in Bicester during last year's sales due to people heading to Bicester Village.

There are no paths for XC under Evergreen3. Those, and much of the freight capacity would depend on the full East-West scheme being implemented through to Bletchley and the WCML (West Coast Main Line), not just Chiltern's project, which, as I noted above, still includes a fair quantity of single track.

The Reading blockade will run from Monday, December 27 until Thursday, December 30. And I have been told by Network Rail that both faces of the down platforms at Banbury will be able to turn back trains. The work needed is due for completion in November.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 13:56:52 »

The Reading blockade will run from Monday, December 27 until Thursday, December 30.  And I have been told by Network Rail that both faces of the down platforms at Banbury will be able to turn back trains. The work needed is due for completion in November.

And potentially several more times over the coming years during holiday periods.  The turnback signals will also be useful under normal operating conditions in the future for FGW (First Great Western) and Chiltern terminators to just return south without the need for a time consuming shunt - colourlight or Semaphore signals is the question, Banbury has a very odd mix of both at the moment!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Adrian the Rock

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 21:11:20 »

Does anyone know if there are any plans to remove the current 20mph speed limit on the up Wycombe between Greenford and Park Royal?  I remember last time the Chilterns were diverted into Padd it seemed to be a real trudge along that stretch.

Also I note the Northolt proposals for Evergreen III will effectively lengthen the single-line section north of Greenford at the Northolt end, as up trains will then have to use a facing crossover between W and S Ruislip, and run 'bang road' through the down platform at the latter.  Seems a bit of a retrograde step to me.  I know that line's not used a huge amount, but for these occasional diversions it is very handy and would be more so if it could handle more frequent services.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: