Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
16:56 Exmouth to Paignton
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
17:23 Exmouth to Exeter St Davids
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
15:47 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
15:51 Paignton to Exmouth
16:14 Paignton to Exmouth
Delayed
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
15:02 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 17:02:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[23] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[9] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebbw Vale Town - improvements  (Read 2833 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 25, 2023, 07:07:03 »

From the South Wales Argus

TRANSPORT for Wales has spoken of its “exciting plans” to almost double the number of services on the Ebbw Vale line.

New services will start running between Newport and Ebbw Vale Town during the next timetable period, which runs from December 10, 2023, to June 1, 2024.

Some 50 new trains have joined the fleet with more than 100 set to be introduced on the mainline and Metro networks over the next two years.

With more trains available, a full hourly service between Cardiff and Cheltenham Spa will start next year.

Ebbw Vale has a population very similar to that of Melksham.  Just sayin.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 16:00:45 »

From Nation Cymru

Transport for Wales has confirmed it will delay the introduction of increased services on a south Wales line due to a shortage of trains after a number suffered wheel damage.

The rail operator had previously planned to launch direct services between Ebbw Vale and Newport from this week with two trains per hour – one to Cardiff and one to Newport.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 16:22:09 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 17:21:16 »

A shame there's a slight delay.

With Park Junction Signal Box closed and control moved to the Wales Route Operating Centre in Cardiff you can now see trains moving along the line on the various mapping sites.

Traksy:  https://traksy.uk/live/M+NaN+/M+34+EBWVPWY+2

Railcam (with subscription):  https://railcam.uk/diagrams/x_anydiag.php?di=Newport

OpenTrainTimes yet to be updated, and a message has been put up apologising for the lack of recent updates and the fact they are now playing catch-up, so I don't know how long it will be.  SignalMaps doesn't yet cover that area.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 15:53:20 »

A shame there's a slight delay.

OpenTrainTimes yet to be updated, and a message has been put up apologising for the lack of recent updates and the fact they are now playing catch-up, so I don't know how long it will be.  SignalMaps doesn't yet cover that area.

The improved service was launched today.

A dozen or so additional services to/from Newport between the hourly Cardiff services until early evening, forming 30-minute interval of departures from Ebbw Vale, after which some of the Cardiff services are routed via Newport.

opentraintimes has indeed caught up with the new signalling and you can see the details here:  https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/bristolparkway#T_NWPTRTG

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 17:05:10 »

... departures from Ebbw Vale, after which some of the Cardiff services are routed via Newport.

Looks good and makes sense 

http://www.railrover.org/pages/explore-cardiff-and-valleys.html
* Is an explore Cardiff and the Valleys ticket be valid on these trains via Newport?
* Is it valid for leaving an Ebbw Vale to Cardiff train at Newport?

Might sound like a pointless question ... except I might want to - FOSS (Freedom of Severn & Solent Rover) from Melksham, to Barry (to buy the Gavin and Stacey souvenirs we forgot last time), to Maesteg (not been there - we were late and got turned at Tondu last time) and then to Ebbw Vale to see the works in the early evening before heading home.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 08:59:56 »

... departures from Ebbw Vale, after which some of the Cardiff services are routed via Newport.

Looks good and makes sense 

http://www.railrover.org/pages/explore-cardiff-and-valleys.html
* Is an explore Cardiff and the Valleys ticket be valid on these trains via Newport?
* Is it valid for leaving an Ebbw Vale to Cardiff train at Newport?

Might sound like a pointless question ... except I might want to - FOSS (Freedom of Severn & Solent Rover) from Melksham, to Barry (to buy the Gavin and Stacey souvenirs we forgot last time), to Maesteg (not been there - we were late and got turned at Tondu last time) and then to Ebbw Vale to see the works in the early evening before heading home.

Best way to find an answer is to ask ... I asked TfW on WhatsApp ...

"The Cardiff and Valleys Day Ranger would not be valid for you to pass through or end your journey at Newport. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience. ^Gwen" and she went away and checked that with a colleague and came back to confirm.

So:
19:02 ex Cardiff - last valid train to Ebbw Vale; not valid on the three later trains that reverse at Newport except between Pye Corner and Ebbw Vale

18:05 ex Ebbw Vale - last train to Cardiff; not valid between Pye Corner and Cardiff on the seven later trains that reverse at Newport.

Is there an irony in the answer about "not passing through Newport"?  As I understand it, the curve from Ebbw Junction to Park Junction IS in Newport - or do I have that wrong?

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 10:20:07 »

The day ranger should have the same route validity as the corresponding walk up tickets within the area of validity.

In practice I suspect you'd have no problem taking a service via Newport using the day ranger when there is no alternative journey. A word with the guard before boarding should allow travel. It'd be a very hard hearted guard who'd either strand you in Ebbw Vale or demand another fare.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2024, 11:55:55 »

The day ranger should have the same route validity as the corresponding walk up tickets within the area of validity.

In practice I suspect you'd have no problem taking a service via Newport using the day ranger when there is no alternative journey. A word with the guard before boarding should allow travel. It'd be a very hard hearted guard who'd either strand you in Ebbw Vale or demand another fare.

I've asked  a tfw guard i know and as long as you board the train.before Newport your day rover will be valid. Its the case as there's been times when trains have been diverted to Newport  when.theres engineering work going on.

They are going to add Newport to the valleyines day rover but it won't be done until the metro is up and running  and it will only be valid on tfw services.

Theres a campaign in the Ebbw Valley against stopping the Ebbw Vale to Cardiff trains at Cardiff parkway due to the increased journey times.  There is a bit of slack in.the timetable between Cardiff abd Pye corner so could possibly be enough time to add a stop .
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 12:18:33 »

I've asked  a tfw guard i know and as long as you board the train.before Newport your day rover will be valid.

Thank you.  That is the opposite of what the WhatsApp customer enquiry clerk told me, and (further) she went away and checked with a colleague.  But in practise I suspect you'll be ok if on a Cardiff <-> Ebbw Vale train that makes an intermediate call at Newport Station.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 13:08:29 »

Pragmatism on the ground, as I suspected.

I also asked via social media and got the same response from Gwen. Last train from Ebbw Vale you can catch when holding the day ranger is 1936 she told me. Her reply regarding this operational convenience ahead of customer service was:

"The team have gotten back to let me know that the Cardiff & Valleys ranger ticket is a product that was specifically designed for stations within the Valleys and Cardiff area, and Newport was not in the scope to be included as it is outside of the geographical boundary. Transport for Wales have no plans to add Newport to the list of stations under this ticket. If you would like to travel on a service that goes via Newport you would need to purchase a valid ticket, a standard single ticket price from Ebbw Vale Town to Cardiff via Newport would be £5.20 ^Gwen"

So customer services in liaison with the fares team say there are no future plans to include Newport in the day ranger area of validity. They may argue they're worried that folk will use GWR (Great Western Railway) services between Newport and Cardiff but that can be prevented with T&Cs just as they currently do with the day ranger on journeys between Bridgend and Cardiff. I guess time will tell as to whether they do include Newport in the future.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2024, 09:52:49 »

A report from Twitter that the Newport service and improved frequency got off to a very sharp start, with the first train full and standing.

Mark
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2024, 13:03:32 »

A few delays today. Interesting watching how quickly the line recovers.  There’s no layover time at the Ebbw Vale end, but plenty at Newport and the longer passing loop than on, say the Borders Line, means recovery isn’t quite as prolonged.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: