Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 05:58:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48
  Print  
Author Topic: South Wales local services - Pembroke, Fishguard, Swanline, etc.  (Read 250822 times)
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #690 on: February 08, 2014, 18:10:16 »

The 1530 Manchester to Pembroke Dock has been amended to be worked by a 175/1 instead of a 175/0.     The Diagram starts and finishes at Carmarthen so I deduce that it terminates at Carmarthen otherwise it would have insufficient fuel to complete 3 days without re-fuelling if it continued to Pembroke Dock and back to Carmarthen.   When it was a 175/0 and with the transpositions it was possible to have a freshly fuelled unit down from Cardiff the night before.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #691 on: May 01, 2014, 18:40:54 »

The new ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) timetable 3 now online is a bit odd. It says SUMMER at the top but, unlike in previous years (2011 and 2012 at least) the dates given on the cover are May to December, rather than May to September. That's not helpful for me since I'm trying to work out when the current trial arrangment for the Fishguard services expires (yes, I know it's September but when exactly, I assumed the September timetable change, but when is that?). Also, does the fact it's a single timetable through to December mean the Fishguard service is now guaranteed through to December at least?

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: May 01, 2014, 19:29:35 »

The next National timetable runs from May to December, as it has for a number of years.  Within that timescale there are a number of standard slots for dated changes, so the ability to have a dated summer only service is still there.   

In my experience it's quite a while since most TOCs (Train Operating Company) stopped issuing May to September timetables, they'll normally just use dated columns, unless that makes the booklet too complicated.  I'd suggest confirming any date change info in the appropriate table in the online NRTT.  A quick glance through table 128 shows some trains are altered from 6 Sept, but there are others that run differently after 20 Oct.

Paul
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 19:37:02 by paul7755 » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #693 on: May 01, 2014, 19:41:41 »

... and looking in particular at services to Firshguard, they appear in the National Rail timetable until December / at a quick glance at a huge .pdf I saw noting dated nor any cautions.   I would anticipate that the instigators of the trial, and also the providers of the service, would have something in place for each eventuality of the outcome of the trial and that would/will be decided in good time before any changes of provision.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #694 on: May 26, 2014, 23:28:39 »

... and looking in particular at services to Fishguard, they appear in the National Rail timetable until December

Survey / consultation - "what now at end of trial" ...

http://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/content.asp?nav=101,988&parent_directory_id=646&id=29872&Language=

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #695 on: June 06, 2014, 00:31:04 »

With three months to go on the Fishguard trial service (according to my estimate of when it will end) I've produced a new video, which is episode 4 of my "Trains For Fishguard" series.

Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #696 on: July 05, 2015, 14:18:02 »

I was out and about (at Whitland and Carmarthen) yesterday (Saturday 4th July) collecting footage which may be useful in future videos.

RealTime Trains shows the 08:35 Pembroke Dock - Whitland runs into platform 3 at Whitland and sure enough the Pacer ran into the seldom-used bay platform. However, RealTime Trains doesn't show anything leaving from platform 3 and I didn't have time to hang arround and see how it gets out. Does it have to wait until the 09:40 Carmarthen - Tenby has reached the latter and surrended the token for the Whitland-Tenby section? If that is the case, what forms the 10:05 Whitland - Swansea? I saw the Pacer later sitting at Carmarthen at 14:00ish. I assume it got there on the 12:35 from Swansea, does it do anything else later in the day or does it just sit there until Monday morning?

I was rather supprised that the 09:40 Carmarthen - Tenby (which I had expected to be the other Pembroke Pacer) was a 158. How did that happen? 158 vice Pacer is a big supprise given it is normally 158s that appear to be in short supply with 150s turning up in lieu. The booked 158 on the Fishguard boat train also turned up for once, and the more-reliable 06:30 MAN-Milford Haven was a 158 as normal for a Saturday, so I saw a lot more 158s in the west than normal. The third (and final?) Pembroke diagram (which I think is the one that starts with the 09:56 Fishguard) was a 150 as expected.

Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 05, 2015, 14:50:13 »

I'm fairly certain the 8.35SO terminates in the bay (connecting with the Manchester) and then shunts to the up platform to form the Whitland-Swansea that on non-Summer-Saturdays would have come from PMD. The signalling appears to allow this to be done without entering the token section. It can shunt out to the branch advanced starter, which is the start of token section and clearing point for the outer home coming from the branch, and then reverse towards the inner home. Incidentally the branch signals have recently become colour lights (must have been in the last year or two) so the outer is now a 3 aspect (but the distant is still a fixed board).

I haven't seen a Pacer that way for some time - all 3 diagrams appear to be 150s now. 158s do substitute on occasion - can be a pleasant surprise!

Realtimetrains suggests the 12.35 SWA» (Swansea - next trains)-CMN runs ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) back to SWA  to form the 17.50, i.e. to get back onto the diagram that it cwould have followed on a weekday had it done the PMD cycle that is covered by HST (High Speed Train) on Saturdays. With a few hours' dead time it would be nice if resources could be found to put it on an extra run to Fishguard or Llandovery!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #698 on: July 06, 2015, 19:19:47 »

Thanks Hafren for the information.

With a few hours' dead time it would be nice if resources could be found to put it on an extra run to Fishguard or Llandovery!
The unit is only idle on summer Saturdays though, isn't it? Probably not of huge benifit to Fishguard or Llandovery if it can't run at other times of the week/year as well. However, Tenby seems to get really busy on summer Saturdays and has a special summer SAT timetable anyway, which makes me wonder whether a little tweaking to the adjacent Pembroke services perhaps would allow the idle unit to make a Carmarthen - Tenby run followed by a Tenby - Swansea service. Not possible without shifting other trains about though, so it might not work out.

phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #699 on: July 12, 2015, 14:33:23 »

I was out and about (at Whitland and Carmarthen) yesterday (Saturday 4th July) collecting footage which may be useful in future videos.

RealTime Trains shows the 08:35 Pembroke Dock - Whitland runs into platform 3 at Whitland and sure enough the Pacer ran into the seldom-used bay platform. However, RealTime Trains doesn't show anything leaving from platform 3 and I didn't have time to hang arround and see how it gets out. Does it have to wait until the 09:40 Carmarthen - Tenby has reached the latter and surrended the token for the Whitland-Tenby section? If that is the case, what forms the 10:05 Whitland - Swansea? I saw the Pacer later sitting at Carmarthen at 14:00ish. I assume it got there on the 12:35 from Swansea, does it do anything else later in the day or does it just sit there until Monday morning?

I was rather supprised that the 09:40 Carmarthen - Tenby (which I had expected to be the other Pembroke Pacer) was a 158. How did that happen? 158 vice Pacer is a big supprise given it is normally 158s that appear to be in short supply with 150s turning up in lieu. The booked 158 on the Fishguard boat train also turned up for once, and the more-reliable 06:30 MAN-Milford Haven was a 158 as normal for a Saturday, so I saw a lot more 158s in the west than normal. The third (and final?) Pembroke diagram (which I think is the one that starts with the 09:56 Fishguard) was a 150 as expected.
Just picked up on this as I have been in hospital.  Whitland shunt answered and Pacer runs 17+xx to Swansea as confirmed also.    09 40 Carmarthen to Tenby booked neither Pacer nor 158, but a 150 so an unscheduled more  comfortable ride.   This Saturday Pacer diagram is the only one now on the Pembroke Docks.   Everything else on the all day diagrams are and have been for a considerable time, booked for 150s.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #700 on: July 12, 2015, 21:58:34 »

Just picked up on this as I have been in hospital.

Welcome back to the Coffee Shop forum, then, phile.  Hope it all went well.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #701 on: July 13, 2015, 09:18:48 »

Just picked up on this as I have been in hospital.

Welcome back to the Coffee Shop forum, then, phile.  Hope it all went well.  Smiley
Thanks. Hip replacement which was OK but problem now with sore on heel which needs daily dressing by nurse.     This is holding everything else back.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #702 on: July 14, 2015, 12:19:46 »

RealTime Trains shows the 08:35 Pembroke Dock - Whitland runs into platform 3 at Whitland and sure enough the Pacer ran into the seldom-used bay platform.
This Saturday Pacer diagram is the only one now on the Pembroke Docks. Everything else on the all day diagrams are and have been for a considerable time, booked for 150s.
Thanks for the additional information.

I was out again on Saturday 11th (I'm aiming to get out most Saturdays for the remainder of this summer) to find a train had struck a herd of cows, temporarily blocking the line between Whitland and Carmarthen. Does anyone know if it was the 07:07 Milford - Manchester which hit the cows, as I think I saw this unit when it arrived at Carmarthen at about 10:25? If it did hit the cows, it seems to have sustained supprisingly little damage.

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #703 on: July 15, 2015, 12:57:46 »

the 12.35 SWA» (Swansea - next trains)-CMN runs ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) back to SWA  to form the 17.50
RealTime trains says that Pacer uses platform 2 at Carmarthen. However, this week (11th July) it was parked in the un-numbered platform face behind platform 2 (when I saw it at about 16:30). There didn't seem to be a signal at the end of that platform road (unlike platforms one and two which have the new three-in-one-aspect colour lights) so I wonder whether it is signaled for passenger arrivals but only ECS departures are permitted?

phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #704 on: July 15, 2015, 14:41:06 »

the 12.35 SWA» (Swansea - next trains)-CMN runs ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) back to SWA  to form the 17.50
RealTime trains says that Pacer uses platform 2 at Carmarthen. However, this week (11th July) it was parked in the un-numbered platform face behind platform 2 (when I saw it at about 16:30). There didn't seem to be a signal at the end of that platform road (unlike platforms one and two which have the new three-in-one-aspect colour lights) so I wonder whether it is signaled for passenger arrivals but only ECS departures are permitted?

What's the matter with shunting to and from that face.  Probably clear Platform 2 for a Summer Saturday HST (High Speed Train).    It could run ECS to Swansea from there as it could run as an empty movement.   What you see in RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) doesn't always happen.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48
  Print  

Jump to: