07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Delayed
05:23 Westbury to Salisbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 06:09:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 48
  Print  
Author Topic: South Wales local services - Pembroke, Fishguard, Swanline, etc.  (Read 250988 times)
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: June 08, 2013, 20:41:33 »

The ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) pembroke dock diagrams today were 1 x 150 and 2 x pacers (both 142, ive noticed 142 usually get used on Pembroke/Swansea rather than 143s, the swanline was a 142 also today).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #661 on: June 08, 2013, 21:11:38 »

What i found odd waas that the pacer rrived at Carmarthen at around 1745 then everyone travelling beyond Carmarthen was told to get the 1807 service (3 car 175) and the pacer going onwards to Swansea wasnt departing until 1833 but its still a through train from Pembroke Dock to Swansea, would be better if it was Pembroke to Carmarthen then terminates and then a separate service from Carmarthen to Swansea later on. A few people were confused why they had to change when it says Swansea on the front of the train.

It's not unique ... I was on the Harwich to Liverpool Street train a few weeks back ... pulls into Witham at the side platform, people for Liverpool Street encouraged to change, and it proceeds on a few minutes later (and slower). With luggage, plenty of charge in my laptop, I sat it out ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #662 on: June 08, 2013, 22:10:01 »

The ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) pembroke dock diagrams today were 1 x 150 and 2 x pacers (both 142, ive noticed 142 usually get used on Pembroke/Swansea rather than 143s, the swanline was a 142 also today).
No.   More or less equal between 142s and 143s.   ATW Pacers are regarded as one fleet for operating and diagramming purposes.   Just co-incidence or sods law when you see them.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #663 on: June 16, 2013, 22:01:54 »

While returning home after visiting the transport show in Swansea I noted ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) had a 158 working the 14:13 Swansea - Pembroke Dock service.

One thing I would wish is that ATW had the 07:10 Cardiff - Pembroke Dock service on summer sundays stop at Pyle at 07:38 as it would make it easy for people like myself to travel to Port Talbot Parkway and then double back to Bridgend and Cardiff on the next FGW (First Great Western) service to London rather than waiting til 09:57 or 11:57.

I say this as the locla bus serviuce does seem to struggle with high passenger numbers causing some delays especially if I travel on the 08:35 from Porthcawl which arrives into Bridgend at 09:30 which a few times has run a few minutes late which is annoying when you are planning on getting a train from Bridgend
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #664 on: September 18, 2013, 23:14:38 »

Have the ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) diagrams changed much this September? Is it still as follows?:

Class 175 - Most Manchesters except 06:30 MAN - Milford Haven and 13:08 return on Saturdays
Class 158 -
  • 06:30 MAN - Milford Haven etc. on Saturdays
  • 14:45 Gloucester - Fishguard Harbour etc.
  • 07:09 Pembroke Dock - Cardiff
  • Some Maesteg, Ebbw Vale and Cheltenham to/from Cardiff workings

Pembroke Dock 2x Pacer and 1x 150

I ask because, to my supprise and discomfort, the 16:04 from Cardiff to Fishguard was a 150 this evening, and I think I saw a 158 heading the other way around about Pembrey & Burry Port. Was I just very unlucky or are all Fishguards booked for 150s now except the morning train to Manchester (175)? Actually, come to think of it, is the 09:54 off FGH booked for Pembroke's 150 or one of the two Pacers?

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
animationmilo

View Profile Email
« Reply #665 on: September 19, 2013, 08:11:47 »

Have the ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) diagrams changed much this September? Is it still as follows?:

Class 175 - Most Manchesters except 06:30 MAN - Milford Haven and 13:08 return on Saturdays
Class 158 -

I ask because, to my supprise and discomfort, the 16:04 from Cardiff to Fishguard was a 150 this evening, and I think I saw a 158 heading the other way around about Pembrey & Burry Port. Was I just very unlucky or are all Fishguards booked for 150s now except the morning train to Manchester (175)? Actually, come to think of it, is the 09:54 off FGH booked for Pembroke's 150 or one of the two Pacers?

It might be different because they are missing 158823 the one that hit a tractor back in July.
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #666 on: September 20, 2013, 21:26:23 »

Class 158 -

People don;t usually make a fuss on Forums if the wrong class is on a train on a particular day.   It is the norm to have many variations.  There are not always 3x158s in South Wales every day as Cambrian must have preference,   It means Diagrams are broken down and 150s and 158s mixed up.
Re Pembroke Docks, why don.t you ask for the info on the "TOPS (Total Operations Processing System) request thread" on RailUKForums.  I'm sure somebody would reply.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 20, 2013, 21:33:24 »

People don;t usually make a fuss on Forums if the wrong class is on a train on a particular day. 

True. You won't see me complaining when a 158 turns up on the Severn Beach Line vice a 150.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 20, 2013, 22:27:06 »

According to realtimetrains the 1604 Cardiff to Fishguard is booked and pathed as a Class 14x (Pacer).  If that's true, a 150 would have been a result.
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 20, 2013, 22:37:13 »

I wouln't take realtimetrains info as the actual booked class; it's just the timings used. For example last time I looked the Maestegs are timed for Pacer but actually diagrammed for 150 or 158. Similarly, the journeys booked for 175s (and I think the Notts 170s) are timed as 'Class 158' albeit 100mph instead of 90.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #670 on: September 20, 2013, 23:45:58 »

Class 158 -

People don;t usually make a fuss on Forums if the wrong class is on a train on a particular day.   It is the norm to have many variations.  There are not always 3x158s in South Wales every day as Cambrian must have preference,   It means Diagrams are broken down and 150s and 158s mixed up.
Re Pembroke Docks, why don.t you ask for the info on the "TOPS (Total Operations Processing System) request thread" on RailUKForums.  I'm sure somebody would reply.
I was just asking a question. I only intended to make a fuss if the service has now joined the boat train in being booked for a class 150. If it is still booked for a 158 but factors on that particular day meant a 158 wasn't available then so be it.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
welsh1980

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 21, 2013, 18:21:53 »

Class 158 -

Arent we allowed to discuss diagrams etc on this page of the forum then?  Huh

I dont think there are any changes in the autumn timetable in terms of diagrams, which means 2 pacers and a 150 on Pembroke Dock and 2 153s on city line. Arent the Pembroke Docks quite light in winter and wouldnt need a 2 car?

The 1604 Cardiff to Fishguard is booked for a 158 but a 150 turns up quite often. That means the Pembroke Dock the next morning that goes to Cardiff is also a 150 if the day before the Fishguard is a 150.

The Saturday 630am Manchester to Milford, 1310 Milford to Manchester and 1930 Manchester-Cardiff is almost always a 158, but a few weeks ago was a 175.  Today the 1510 Milford-Manchester (1658 i think from Swansea) was a 158 also. I think the 1310 was too.

Everytime ive seen the morning Hereford to Fishguard/Pembroke which splits at Carmarthen its been a 150 and pacer. I think the pacer goes to Fishguard but im not 100% sure. So apart from a 153 all ATW classes go to Fishguard currently.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #672 on: September 21, 2013, 18:49:58 »

I was just asking a question. I only intended to make a fuss if the service has now joined the boat train in being booked for a class 150. If it is still booked for a 158 but factors on that particular day meant a 158 wasn't available then so be it.

Re Pembroke Docks, why don.t you ask for the info on the "TOPS request thread" on RailUKForums.  I'm sure somebody would reply.

Of course you are, welsh1980, and it was fair enough to ask the question, Rhydgaled.  Smiley

On this topic in particular, we have seen many such questions being asked, and their answers discussed, for the benefit of all of our readers (whether they are registered here as members or not).

We are happy to encourage such open discussion on the Coffee Shop forum, for the information of all - and those who are not interested, or who are not affected by the matter, need not read it if they don't want to.

Thanks to all who have posted here for providing this valuable historic record of South Wales local service variations.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #673 on: September 21, 2013, 18:55:57 »

I can't think of any advise that says you can't  ... and I wrote most of the advise!  Grin

edit to add sorry I double-answered that, Chris ... forgot to press "send" before I walked the dogs, so post delayed.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #674 on: September 21, 2013, 19:04:00 »

Class 158 -

I dont think there are any changes in the autumn timetable in terms of diagrams, which means 2 pacers and a 150 on Pembroke Dock and 2 153s on city line. Arent the Pembroke Docks quite light in winter and wouldnt need a 2 car?

The 1604 Cardiff to Fishguard is booked for a 158 but a 150 turns up quite often. That means the Pembroke Dock the next morning that goes to Cardiff is also a 150 if the day before the Fishguard is a 150.

The Saturday 630am Manchester to Milford, 1310 Milford to Manchester and 1930 Manchester-Cardiff is almost always a 158, but a few weeks ago was a 175.  Today the 1510 Milford-Manchester (1658 i think from Swansea) was a 158 also. I think the 1310 was too.

Everytime ive seen the morning Hereford to Fishguard/Pembroke which splits at Carmarthen its been a 150 and pacer. I think the pacer goes to Fishguard but im not 100% sure. So apart from a 153 all ATW classes go to Fishguard currently.

The 150 goes to Fishguard, but the train now starts from Cardiff Central rather than from Hereford.  The Hereford is 150 worked and forms a service to Barry Island. During the Summer, a 153 went to Fishguard on a Sunday attached to a 150 on the Midday boats.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 48
  Print  

Jump to: