07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 08:33:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 48
  Print  
Author Topic: South Wales local services - Pembroke, Fishguard, Swanline, etc.  (Read 250964 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #315 on: August 25, 2011, 15:13:41 »

Was waiting at Pyle this morning at 05:05 when i was passed by a class 143 which went through empty stock to Swansea to work the 05:50 Swansea - Pembroke Dock service. I was thinking about ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) if it might be possible to run this as a passenger service if they can get a guard for it.

Another idea was to run the early morning Fishguard Hbr - Swansea service to Cardiff instead which would depart fishguard at 02:00 arriving  in cardiff at 04:20 this would then form a 04:42 Cardiff - Swansea - Carmarthen- Pembroke dock service which would also convey anotther unit which would form an 06:10 Swansea - Cardiff service which will form a peak hour service  from Cardiff to Ebbw Vale with the 06:44 Maesteg - Ebbw Vale service being replaced by an 06:14 Maesteg - Cheltenham Spa service which use the stock which currently comes off canton to work the 07:12 Cardiff - Cheltenham Spa.

Jez

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 25, 2011, 22:11:12 »

Last weekend I caught one of the extra Swanline services from Briton Ferry (extra due to the Rugby), it was a 143, it turned up late, the guard apologised for the lateness and informed us it was due to the engine on the back car not working.  When we got to Port Talbot he informed the passengers on the rammed pacer that he recommended they get off and catch the 125 which was 4 minutes behind. I decided to stay on the pacer as I wasnt in a particular rush plus knew at least id have a seat (the amount of people waiting for the 125 on Port Talbot Parkway platform implied it would be overcrowded). I ended up travelling on the pacer all the way to Cardiff, the 125 overtook us by Margam. Some of the passengers were complaining, also some couldnt understand why the pacer didnt go faster once the 125 had passed not really understanding trains paths.

Finally got to Cardiff around half hour late, the guard did really well to control the situation tho. Do wish they would ensure they had enough stock preferably with engines working if they are to put on these extra trains. Some of the Manchesters were also making Swanline calls but some people at Briton Ferry told me due to the Manchester train being rammed with people they were told to wait for the Swanline which was 10-15 mins behind (or 25 due to the delay!) Makes it a bit pointless getting trains to make additional calls due to events if no extra capacity.

Are we expecting things to go back to normal from September on Pembroke Dock and HOW with 1 car 153's on most diagrams, as the Summer peak will be over by then.

Jez

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 25, 2011, 22:12:34 »

Was waiting at Pyle this morning at 05:05 when i was passed by a class 143 which went through empty stock to Swansea to work the 05:50 Swansea - Pembroke Dock service. I was thinking about ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) if it might be possible to run this as a passenger service if they can get a guard for it.

Another idea was to run the early morning Fishguard Hbr - Swansea service to Cardiff instead which would depart fishguard at 02:00 arriving  in cardiff at 04:20 this would then form a 04:42 Cardiff - Swansea - Carmarthen- Pembroke dock service which would also convey anotther unit which would form an 06:10 Swansea - Cardiff service which will form a peak hour service  from Cardiff to Ebbw Vale with the 06:44 Maesteg - Ebbw Vale service being replaced by an 06:14 Maesteg - Cheltenham Spa service which use the stock which currently comes off canton to work the 07:12 Cardiff - Cheltenham Spa.

The overnight fishguard then goes on to form the 4.35am HOW I think so its needed for that.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 25, 2011, 22:47:22 »

HOW ?
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #319 on: August 25, 2011, 23:15:58 »

HOW ?

Heart of wales, and oops i forgot about that 04:35 Swansea - Shrewsbury service, pity it isnt worked by an empty stock from Carmarthen
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #320 on: August 27, 2011, 22:20:49 »

Simply as a reminder: we do have an 'acronyms and abbreviations' page on this forum, at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/acronyms.html which may help.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 31, 2011, 23:25:18 »

Now the last Bank Holiday of the Summer has happened and the Summer peak is all but over will we see the Pembroke Dock revert back to a 3 diagrams being run by a single 153?

Apparently last Saturday a 153 was on a Coryton service freeing up a pacer to run Pembroke Dock.

Also the Heart of Wales seems to have more 150s on it recently. Could be because a 153 is out being refurbished?
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #322 on: September 01, 2011, 09:39:35 »

I think they have stopped or at least reduced the number for class 150's to FGW (First Great Western) so that they can use another 150 the West wales/Heart of wales/Swanline circuit

From september 12th there should be an extra class 150 on  services to Pembroke Dock/Fishguard Hbr/Shrewsbury/Cardiff although which of the services will be worked by a class 150 or 153 will vary day to day.

I suspect with passenger numbers increasing on the swanline service that perhaps we could see more class 153's on the cityline services in cardiff displacing a pacer to release a class 150.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #323 on: September 01, 2011, 11:59:47 »

Arriva have posted  the new timetables:

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/timetables/

1st observations, the 06:42 Cardiff - Pembroke Dock/Fishguard Harbour is shown as splitting at Whitland and the 15:14 Swansea - Fishguard Hbr sits in Swansea for up to 20 minutes which could be longer depending on what time it arrives into Swansea.

smokey

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 01, 2011, 14:50:01 »

Am I right in thinking that the HOW Heart of Wales line (LLanelli to Shrewsbury) is the ONLY line in Britain that was Proposed for Closure Before the Great Doctor's report and yet is still open today.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #325 on: September 01, 2011, 16:32:07 »

I think so i cant remember any other lines which stayed open for passenger trains
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 01, 2011, 16:33:04 »

My history is a little fuzzy on this one, but I have a feeling that's not correct. According to the Wikipedia entry on the Central Wales Line (so take with a pinch of salt, of course) the line wasn't slated for closure by Beeching, whose 'Reshaping of British Railways" report came out in 1963, because at the time it carried significant goods traffic and also served a steelworks at Bynea plus industry around Ammanford and Pontarddulais.

It certainly was proposed for closure shortly afterwards though, but was reprieved by Harold Wilson's government - he was in office 1964-1970 then 1974-1976, I assume the decision was made by the first administration. Gerry Fiennes relates a story in one of his books where closure plans for the line were being discussed, and it is said a civil servant produced a constituency map and pointed out "Minister, that line passes through six marginal constituencies". The current operational arrangements (i.e. Light Railway Order) date from 1972.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #327 on: September 01, 2011, 16:54:43 »

Looking at Section 6 of the Great Doctor's report "Passenger Services Under Consideration for Withdrawl before the Formulation of the Report".

As far as I can see the HOW is the only complete line closure , not implemented. Although of course the Swansea Victoria end closed.

However, Taunton to Castle Cary, and Princes Risborough to Banbury are marked as already implemented, presumably only  for the stopping services, with the lines reamining open for through services.

Whilst Gloucester to Chalford  stopping service withdrawal was proposed.

Also mentioned was Leicester Belgrave Road to Skegness where the Eastern part of the line from Bottesford remains open as part of Nottingham Grantham/Skegness route (ex GN) and boosts one of the newest bits of pasenger track on Network Rail.

phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #328 on: September 01, 2011, 17:43:44 »

Now the last Bank Holiday of the Summer has happened and the Summer peak is all but over will we see the Pembroke Dock revert back to a 3 diagrams being run by a single 153?

Apparently last Saturday a 153 was on a Coryton service freeing up a pacer to run Pembroke Dock.

Also the Heart of Wales seems to have more 150s on it recently. Could be because a 153 is out being refurbished?

153 booked Coryton Saturdays
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #329 on: September 03, 2011, 01:27:04 »

I do think the title of this thread should be changed to south wales local services as it is now incorporating the fishguard, swanline and other services in south wales.

Update on  fishguard:

'' the 06:42 Cardiff - Pembroke Dock services will now run to Fishguard Hbr as well and will split at Whitland departing about 8 minutes after the Pembroke Dock train has departed. The 15:14 which couldnt be re-timed due to pathing issues getting the stock from canton to cardiff central, will have a 20-23 minutes wait at Swansea where it will depart at 16:40.

Also demolistion of the station at Fishgaurd & goodwick station is taking place and the station could be opened by the end of the year, Praise must go out to Pembrokeshire county council and switch and others for all the work they have done campigning to get the station re-opened and  for  the work everyone did finding the funds for it.

Track will have to be slewed towards the platform again, as it was moved by network rail last year. the council are working on getting the car park sorted for passengers and lets hope that the service will be used by local's
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 48
  Print  

Jump to: