29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 03:23:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 48
  Print  
Author Topic: South Wales local services - Pembroke, Fishguard, Swanline, etc.  (Read 250961 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #330 on: September 03, 2011, 11:16:03 »

I do think the title of this thread should be changed to south wales local services as it is now incorporating the fishguard, swanline and other services in south wales.

Done!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 03, 2011, 11:19:46 »

I do think the title of this thread should be changed to south wales local services as it is now incorporating the fishguard, swanline and other services in south wales.

Done!  Wink Cheesy Grin

Thanks! Amazing a thread I started to ask a question about Pembroke Dock services has turned into a 20+ page discussion.

Anyone know what is booked for Pembroke Dock now? Are pacers still regularly booked?
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #332 on: September 03, 2011, 14:21:07 »

Not to sure with the new timetable starting a week monday, More than likely it will be a mixture of class 150's & class 153's same as the heart of wales & swanline's. I cant remeber if the 07:09 Pembroke Dock - Swansea service will be worked by a class 175 as that unit is to be used on the 08:04 Fishguard Hbr - Manchester Piccadilly service.

That said there is still the possibility that a pacer could turn up, i have noticed that the 05:50 Swansea - Pembroke dock seems to be booked regulary for a pacer set although whether that changes in  the next week or so i dont know.

I am hoping to be on the new services on monday 12th and i will have a look to see what forms the 17:10 Swansea - Cardiff service whether or not the 15:14 will be formed of 2 class 153's with 1 being detached at Swansea.

Many thanks for changing the thread title
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #333 on: September 03, 2011, 17:44:11 »

175 Fishguard to Manchester
)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 17:56:26 by phile » Logged
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 03, 2011, 21:43:13 »

There was a pacer today on one of the swanlines plus at least 1 pembroke dock diagram.

I travelled on a refurbished 153 for the first time today (1710 swanline) - quite liked it, 153s used to be my least fave ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) train before this. Most of the 153s must have been refurbished by now.
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #335 on: September 03, 2011, 22:41:05 »

As booked on a Saturday
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: September 04, 2011, 01:38:28 »

Was the slewing of the track away from Fishguard & Goodwick's platform really only done last year? What a really shortsighted move that was if true, forgivable if it was done long ago.

If they have found funding for opening Fishguard & Goodwick, I really hope they get on and get all aspects of the work that require posession of the line done before the extra trains start. I can't see a good reason for demolishing the building if they don't do that, and therefore will feel really guilty for not trying to get it listed. Unless there's a track renewal due, I'd expect the platform to be built out to the track, rather than the track be slewed back to the platform. No idea how long shifting the track would take, but building a brick wall, filling the space behind almost to the top with gravel and covering that with tarmac or concrete should be achivable within the 1 week they have left. They'd have a little more work to do after that before they can open the station, but I don't think any of that would require posession of the line.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #337 on: September 04, 2011, 07:21:40 »

When i travelled on the fishguard branch back in late 2008 i am sure the track was closer to the platform than it is now, so maybe it was 2 years ago that the track was moved.

There is a lot of information on the fishguard branch and re-opening the station at goodwick on wnxx, although you will have to register before you can view th thread
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #338 on: September 06, 2011, 18:11:31 »

The building at Fishguard & Goodwick station and the platform surface has been cleared although the platform will require work to bring it up to modern safety standards.  some journeys on the local town bus service have been diverted to fishguard harbour station to meet with the trains.

anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #339 on: September 12, 2011, 14:44:59 »

Fishguard services started today. the 08:04 Fishguard Hbr - Manchester service was worked by 175006. However not everything seems to have gone to plan with 09:56 Fishguard Hbr - Carmarthen service departing 19 minutes late.

Sadly because of work paying my wages late i was unable to go up on the 07:10 from Pyle to Fishguard and the 09:56 from Fishguard, however the fishguard portion i was told was worked by 150208.

I must congratulate everyone who has worked hard to get this trial up and running and i hope the station at Fishguard & Goodwick is opened asap.
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 12, 2011, 21:07:12 »

There were some problems this morning which might have had an impact on the Fishguard service. Various trains were delayed between Swansea and Llanelli because of cable theft. The 6.42 CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)-PMD/FGH (which was 153+150) also started late at Cardiff; it might have lost more time through the Gowerton area - the 6.00 MFH-MAN, which passes that section before it, lost a bit of time there, but was not too severely delayed.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 17, 2011, 13:36:35 »

Seems to be a 175 doing one of the Swanline diagrams today - the one that is meant to come off HOW too. Anyone know if the 5am ish from Shrewsbury was a 175 or was it swapped at Swansea.  The other Swanline diagram is a 150 when often its a pacer.

Also I notice now the 13.10 Swanline is no longer a through train from HOW. Anyone know what is happening with the various diagrams at that time of day as apparently the one that does form the 13.10  Swansea-Cardiff sits in Swansea for hours before.

Seem to be mainly sprinters back on Pembroke Dock now the summer peak is over, although not sure if pacers still appear on Saturdays?
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 17, 2011, 13:45:50 »

Tenby can be quite busy until the end of September, so it would make sense to maintain capacity on Saturdays. Train loadings tend to drop once the high season is over, but are still quite healthy for another few weeks; I don't know what's being used now, but this year, unlike a few years ago, they were quite good at strengthening before the summer timetable had started.

A quick look at live departure boards suggests there are diversions via the Vale of Glamorgan today. When this happens, Swanline stops are sometimes covered by the Manchester services, which might account for the 175.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #343 on: September 17, 2011, 15:36:46 »

Seems to be a 175 doing one of the Swanline diagrams today - the one that is meant to come off HOW too. Anyone know if the 5am ish from Shrewsbury was a 175 or was it swapped at Swansea.  The other Swanline diagram is a 150 when often its a pacer.

Also I notice now the 13.10 Swanline is no longer a through train from HOW. Anyone know what is happening with the various diagrams at that time of day as apparently the one that does form the 13.10  Swansea-Cardiff sits in Swansea for hours before.

Seem to be mainly sprinters back on Pembroke Dock now the summer peak is over, although not sure if pacers still appear on Saturdays?

All i can guess is that the set could be that which does the 07:09 Pembroke Dock - Swansea (Arr 09:22) especially since that it doesnt form teh 09:55 service to Manchester.

I also have been told that the unit which comes down the HOWL  and terminates in Swansea at 13:01 sits in Swansea til it forms the 17:10 service to Cardiff.

phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #344 on: September 17, 2011, 17:57:47 »

Correct.   13 01 arrival works 17 10 Swansea to Cardiff.   This is to enable the 150 sitting at Swansea off 09 22 arrival to move to Cardiff for 15 14 Cardiff to Fishguard Harbour.
Rather than dwell only on individual Unit workings, doew anybody know anything about Fishguard passenger loadings
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 48
  Print  

Jump to: