07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 08:52:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Overhead wire problems  (Read 6991 times)
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2010, 07:17:37 »

As of 07:00 this morning, trains between Moreton-in-Marsh and Evesham are being replaced by buses.

The National Rail website is reporting this as being due to vandalism.

But if you click on their map of the incident, at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/managed/service-disruptions/sa6a3ea6374d4d4abb3053cef40c3729/additionalMaps/Moreton-in-Marsh.pdf, you find that there are "overhead wire problems between Moreton-in-Marsh and Evesham".

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:05:27 »

i'd bet is was (attempted) cable theft ("someone has stolen the wires") which could be interpreted as vandalism or misinterpreted as overhead line problems.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 10:49:33 »

Currently showing on FGW (First Great Western) site as an obstruction on the line, while National Rail (and assorted online travel news providers) are going for vandalism. May well be signal cable theft, which wold make it at least the fourth such incident in the area since last Spetember or October.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 12:55:24 »

A little more detail here:

http://www.eveshamjournal.co.uk/news/8199960.Severe_delays_on_the_Cotswold_Railway_Line_after_train_strikes_debris/

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 20:04:09 »

I was told later in the day that it was an attempted cable theft. One modus operandi is to pull cables across the rails and have a passing train sever them, sometimes with unpredicatable results. The front two coaches were damaged.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 20:12:58 »

Is it the same problem thats been affecting the line all day?  I've just been thinking I'm glad I decided to go to the office yesterday and not today

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 22:03:55 »

The first down service to go through was the 1020ish Hereford off Padd. Problem was of course that there were no trains West of Moreton - the up HSTs (High Speed Train) in the morning were diverted via Swindon. So, it took longer to get the up service restored. Coaches were used for the early afternoon service off Worcester.

And then...........

Broken Rail between Ledbury and Colwall. LM (London Midland - recent franchise) ran coaches between GMV and Hereford. FGW (First Great Western) Hereford services this evening terminated at WSH. Must have been a bad break - they are usually clamped and a 20mph speed restiction imposed within an hour or so.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 22:21:44 »

FGW (First Great Western) Hereford services this evening terminated at WSH.

WSH? Quite some diversion - 15 miles south-east of Glasgow!  Tongue  Wink Grin

(Correct location code for Worcester Shrub Hill is WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains))

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 22:36:39 »

A fair point, bignosemac - but we do tend to be quite flexible here on the forum, allowing the use of either BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) or BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) for Bristol Temple Meads, for example.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 22:40:32 »

I will endeavour to be pedantic as well as informative, in future.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 22:43:15 »

I always want to refer to Birmginhams main station as an orange vegetable with strangely phallic resemblance

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 23:12:55 »

Birmginhams
Can't find the three letter code for that one!  Wink
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 23:13:34 »

ok - Birmingham

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 23:57:13 »

A fair point, bignosemac - but we do tend to be quite flexible here on the forum, allowing the use of either BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) or BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) for Bristol Temple Meads, for example.  Wink

My post was also a way of informing others what WSH may've stood for. You've seen me ask what abbreviations stand for on other threads when I've had no idea. I think it's good form to include the full unabbreviated text once in a post before subsequently using the abbreviation. Admittedly, I'm guilty occasionally of not doing this.......  IYKWIM  Wink

<slaps wrist> Sorry!! My pedantry radar has now had a software upgrade and should let minor location code infringements pass without comment in the future.  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 00:04:28 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 00:02:22 »

Afternoon update from Evesham Journal with some more details.

http://www.eveshamjournal.co.uk/news/8200860.Train_evacuated_after_hitting_debris_at_a_level_crossing_near_Blackminster/

I gather BTP (British Transport Police) are treating it as suspected attempted theft.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: