Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:56 Exmouth to Paignton
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
16:08 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:53 London Paddington to Penzance
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
15:02 Plymouth to London Paddington
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 18:23:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[181] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[60] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[49] Misleading advertising?
[17] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[6] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get a cheap train ticket - The Guardian, 12 June 2010  (Read 5768 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: June 12, 2010, 00:56:44 »

From The Guardian:

Buying a cheap day return by train from Manchester to Blackpool or London to Brighton is not as simple as it should be

What is the cheapest way to buy a train ticket? Last week Guardian Money ran an article about a reader who had experienced a nightmare getting a refund after booking tickets for a service that subsequently didn't run. The story struck a chord as Bachelor & Brignall (Guardian Money's consumer champions) received a rather worrying number of complaints about ticketing.

So how should you buy tickets? We looked at popular summer day trips ^ London to Brighton, Manchester to Blackpool and Leeds to Scarborough ^ and compared deals, assuming a departure time of around 9am and returning after 4pm, looking five days in advance. Simple? Er, not exactly ...

London to Brighton

Return London Victoria is the most popular station, so we started there. We checked thetrainline.com and were given a price of ^18.50, including its ^1 booking fee. If we'd paid by credit card there would be a further ^3.50 charge. If we put our return back to 5.49pm, we found a cheaper fare, at ^16.

We then tried raileasy.com, an alternative to thetrainline.com. Initial results were for the fastest trains. Only if you look elsewhere do you find its cheapest offer. So at first we were told it would be ^21, including ^1 booking fee. Then, by clicking that we'd "like to check for cheaper prices on other trains", the cost fell to ^13.50, but that involved changing at Hove, with the journey taking 74 rather than 52 minutes. Confusingly, the booking fee at raileasy.com was ^2 on some fares and ^1 on others.

Would it be cheaper to go direct to the train operator's website? Yes. Southern Railway tantalised us with singles at ^4.25 each way, but these turned out to be at unsocial times.

For the first train after 9pm and the first back after 4pm, the fare was ^17, but jiggling with times (out 9.21am, back 5.49pm) the fare dropped to ^12.80, the best deal. Rock up at London Victoria on the day and the price leaps. Southern Railway charges ^21.60.

What about London Bridge? Would First Capital Connect, which takes only a few minutes longer, be cheaper? Both websites wanted ^14 for a return, ^1 more than going through First Capital Connect's website. There is more flexibility on this route, and, on the day, some ^13 returns were available. Single Generally a waste of time on the London Bridge to Brighton route ^ single fares were always more expensive than a return ^ but Victoria to Brighton offered some decent deals. The best option is to buy in advance from Southern Railway.

Manchester to Blackpool and Leeds to Scarborough

Thankfully this was much more straightforward. Leaving at 9am from Manchester to Blackpool and from Leeds to Scarborough on the Saturday (today) all the places came up with the same cheapest and quickest route.

In the case of the Manchester journey, this was on the TransPennine Express from Manchester Piccadilly to Blackpool North, leaving at 9.15am and for the Leeds journey on the 9.12am from Leeds to Scarborough.

The return fares were identical on thetrainline.com and raileasy.com, but since they charge booking fees, it was better to buy direct from the train operator's website. The rock-up fare on the day rose significantly, although not as much as London-Brighton.

All the advance options from the various websites and over the phone quoted the same advanced single fare. And all were cheaper than the walk-on fare for a particular train.

Incidentally, if you can bear a coach journey from Manchester to Blackpool, megabus.com was offering a single fare for a two-hour journey (40 minutes longer than on the train) for ^2.50, arriving at lunchtime.

Summer savers

Rail Cards If you're under 26, over 60 or travelling with kids you can cut a third off most ticket prices with a railcard, costing ^26 a year. They aren't always valid, so first check whether it's applicable. For journeys costing over ^60, always get a railcard. If you don't have one, and the ticket(s) costs more than ^60, buy one. The maths is simple, the railcard is ^26 and you get 1/3 off; at ^60 plus you save at least as much as the card costs. GroupSave With GroupSave, if three or four people travel together, they'll only pay the price for two adults. The deal covers destinations across London and the south east. Take up to four more children (aged 5-15) and they'll all travel for just ^1 each, single or return. Ticket splitting You can sometimes find cheaper tickets by splitting your journey. Try splityourticket.co.uk

Overall conclusion

Where there is more than one train operator plying the same route, the ticket possibilities can be mind-boggling. The best place to start, in all cases, is with National Rail Enquiries. It was the only place that came up with all available fares for all available routes.

If you speak to an operator, they will also compare the returns and the singles, something that can involve going back to the beginning of the process if you are doing this online. As thetrainline.com runs comparison engines on most of the major train operator's websites, you would expect fares to be the same.

While this is true in most cases, we found it wasn't the same for all. Southern, for example, appears to operate its own ticket comparison engine as its prices and discounts were markedly different from that of thetrainline.

Even where prices are the same, it will be cheaper to buy through the operator's website as both thetrainline and raileasy.com charge booking and card fees. These can add almost ^5 to the cost. Buying over the phone from the operating company is also a cheap option, as there are no charges.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 08:39:14 »

Only confirms my and probably this board's view that "Fares are a Mess".
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 11:58:37 »

They've really confused issues here by including the booking fees in the prices.

Take London - Brighton.  I assume they've quoted for a return journey using advance fares.  These are priced at ^10, ^7.50 and ^5.  What they've forgotten to mention is you can buy these at a station without paying the "booking fee".

They also fail to mention that a walk-up day return costs ^21.60.

The fares available on The Train Line should always be available on Southern's website (as they use the same booking system).  However the SN website should further discount these discounts - making it the cheapest place to buy.

Both websites wanted ^14 for a return, ^1 more than going through First Capital Connect's website. There is more flexibility on this route, and, on the day, some ^13 returns were available.
The ticket is a walk-up ticket.  I cant understand the use of the word some (which I've made bold).  This isn't an advance ticket, but just a Super Off-Peak Day Return.

All-in-all, I feel this is quite a poor piece of research which could have been done much better by anyone on this forum.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 13:38:05 »

The article suggests that the best place to start is National Rail Enquiries! Ha ha ha ha ha ha

The website offers fares that don't exist, contradicts the Fares Manual and often throws up some very weird routes. The telephone service is just as bad.

I would suggest that the first place The Guardian should start is calling or e-mailing Barry Doe, then perhaps investing (!) in a copy of NFM (National Fares Manual).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 14:08:20 »

I do hope nobody is suggesting here that newspaper journalists aren't to a man unfailingly diligent, hard working and incapable of being proved wrong?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 19:18:28 »

I'm not sure even Barry Doe knowledgeable  as he is could tell you the correct fare for any rail journey in the UK (United Kingdom) picked at random.

I disagree with Brucey that including the booking fee is confusing. If  you buy that ticket from those particular  websites that's what it's going to cost you. Even if part of it a booking fee that's total cost to me of the ticket. That's why I always buy from Chiltern. Partly to give them 9% and partly because so far they've given me excellent service.

As for advanced fares being available from stations they are not availble from Taplow. I understand it's a higher grade of staff that are allowed to issue advanced tickets. Even if you go to Maidenhead although they sell advanced tickets you could be unluckly and not find a qualified member of staff to serve you so a wasted journey.

Perhaps we should put and FOI (Freedom of Information) request to DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about), ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about), ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) and Passenger Focus asking for a definitive list of rail fares between all stations on mainland UK.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 19:27:56 »

Perhaps we should put and FOI (Freedom of Information) request to DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about), ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about), ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) and Passenger Focus asking for a definitive list of rail fares between all stations on mainland UK (United Kingdom).

That would be one mahoosive document!!! I think they'd just send you a copy of the NFM (National Fares Manual) CD (Capital Delivery)-Rom, or direct you to TSO (The Stationary Office (now OPSI)) to purchase one.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 07:40:45 »

That would be one mahoosive document!!! I think they'd just send you a copy of the NFM (National Fares Manual) CD (Capital Delivery)-Rom, or direct you to TSO (The Stationary Office (now OPSI)) to purchase one.
The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) apparently don't hold copies of the NFM ... http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/national_fares_manual
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 08:00:06 »

No but I suspect ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) do.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 19:46:01 »

But do the ROM and NFM (National Fares Manual) and websites always agree we've had posts on here where it appears they may not especialy regarding restrictions.

The TOCs (Train Operating Company) need to be locked in a room (I might feed and water them but it might speed the process if I didn't) and made produce a sensible NFM based on the following rules:

No more that 5 universal restrictions.

No funny ones like passing through New Street at 17:00. Restriction times of a particular train to run from starting station until period ends. Thus a train might be Peak from Oxford to Reading but Off peak from Slough.

Peak time restrictions to apply to journeys of less that 100 miles

Base fare to be cheapest between two points either direct or the sum of split fares if less than direct fare.

No one TOC fare where more that one TOC serves a route.

All maned stations to sell advanced and seat resrvations.

Any more?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: