Delayed
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
20:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 22:03:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[76] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[56] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[39] access for all at Devon stations report
[25] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[9] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: European Miscellany  (Read 3340 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:01:37 »

Last week, I was working in Germany and took the opportunity to travel down "overland, by rail" - I really didn't fancy the messing about from Melksham via Stanstead and potentially excess baggage, nor was I keen on the l-o-n-g drive.  It also gave me the opportunity to learn a little more about modern European rail jouneys from the passenger perspective - a change to understand alternatives and wonder at why some things are / are not done the same / different ways in the Uk.

But here ... half a dozen pictures, not quite at random (and not all quite "lighter side" material, I suspect) taken during my return.  Anyone care to comment on what / where / why I might have taken these pictures?

A.

B.

C.

D.

E.

F.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 13:24:50 »

You took them because you were in Germany

that close enough?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 18:02:26 by plymothian » Logged

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 14:39:39 »

D looks like a SWT (South West Trains) interior.  Not good on my SWT rolling stock but I think this is a 444?  Return journey from Pompey ferry port?

The building in C looks like Cherbourg's ferry terminal.  Its been a good few years since I've been to Cherbourg so can't remember if there is a railway line nearby (the good old days of day trips to Carrefour in Cherbourg on the fast ferry)!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 18:41:21 »

D looks like a SWT (South West Trains) interior.  Not good on my SWT rolling stock but I think this is a 444?
You are correct that is standard class interior of a 444.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 18:53:34 »

F Looks like an ICE3 or ICE/T can't see the bogies to see if tilt probably somewhere in Germany judging by livery of local stock in background.

C Go with C being Franch ferry port  because of bilingual notice and Nr 12 sign on track.

A. feels like ex DDR somehow but probly wrong because of tram.

Is B a shipyard with a naval ship P730 on left? Googling it  turns out to be  a type 23 frigate

So if d is a 444 then B could be Portsmouth and C Cherborg was that your route?

E is Germany probably West , guess Essen/Mulheim an der Ruhr because of tram type  and livery
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 19:25:05 »

"C" is indeed Cherbourg ... a ferry terminal that's clearly seen far busier days stands in the middle of a huge card park, and a nearby sign says "Gare Maritime Cherbourg" on a single stretch of track that has no platform of any sort left on it.   I transferred from train to boat at Cherbourg and it's quite a long walk from the Ville station.

"F" Was actually taken at Wurtzburg - you're correct with "Somewhere in Germany", and I haven't a clue as to whether they were long link or short link bogies ... I'm just a passenger and it looks like a train to me  Wink

"D" is indeed the interior of a 444 and it's on its journey.   I was struck by how empty the train was (all the way from where I got on it to Southampton) but the how very full the shorter train to Cardiff was and it stuck me - wouldn't it be useful to take a trailer or two out off some of these 4 coach units and insert them into the 3 coach units.  (Yeah - I know - although they're trailer coaches, some bright spark hasn't made all the stock interchangeable so it can't be done.)

"A" - no one has right yet, nor "B".   "E" is indeed (West) Germany - but neither Essen nor Mulheim.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 19:53:15 »

But is P730 a type 23 frigate?

If the ICE is Wurtzburg it's probably an ICE/T Nurnburg to Koln via Kassel and Hamm not using the High speed line from Kassel toHanover but going via Warburg where it does need to tilt I've done Kassel to Dusseldorf Flughafen via that route. Nurnburg Hamburg are usually ICE 1s.

Don't think tram is Wurtzburg though their livery appears to be White.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 20:08:43 by eightf48544 » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 19:58:19 »

Hmm. 'P' is the fishing boat registration letter for Portsmouth: I reckon 'P730' is a trawler, on the dockside for maintenance.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 20:29:26 »

I don't think anyone's even got the right country for "A" or "B" ... though both shouldn't be too hard - on an "obscure European" scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is really obtuse, they're at perhaps 3 or 4.   "E" is scale 8 or 9 - and I'll give you that as Nurnberg.

The public transport in Nurnberg is really impressive ... from DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) to U-Bahn to Tram and to Bus - quick, easy and signposted.  Frequent services on the U-Bahn, fast, clean, and with plenty of announcements in German in English.   Just imagine that in this country ... what is the German for "This is a teacup line service to Edgware Road only, where you mugs who came to the wrong tube station will have to haul your bags over the bridge to get to the other arm of the teacup ...."

John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 20:31:20 »

"This is a teacup line service to Edgware Road only, where you mugs who came to the wrong tube station will have to haul your bags over the bridge to get to the other arm of the teacup ...."

Well you wouldn't expect mugs to travel on teacups would you.   Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 04:58:46 »

This is P730 ...

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=1079438
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ship_La_Combattante

But I was rather more interested in the turntable with two parellel twin tracks - running around the shipyard, and also across the road and rail track and down to the water.

jakemonkfish

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 11:57:03 »

is A the level crossing just outside Poole ferry port?
MrC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 12:18:16 »

is A the level crossing just outside Poole ferry port?
Looks like it from Google Street View (although the Google shot looks like it was taken a while ago):-

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=poole&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.30596,39.814453&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Poole,+Dorset,+United+Kingdom&ll=50.710214,-1.993273&spn=0.001868,0.00486&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=50.710366,-1.993248&panoid=JqVKgmryfH9DWhIcfu6QVw&cbp=12,280.72,,1,2.73
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 12:24:38 »

Yes indeed ... "A" is at Poole - the old Hamworthy Goods line.   What a shame to see a fence erected across the line since the Google Street View was taken (that's an impressive URL, Mr C!)

Completing the story, the Butt of P730 is in the dockyard at Cherbourg

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: