Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 07:19:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[49] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[25] access for all at Devon stations report
[16] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180 Adelantes - discussions, including their return to FGW  (Read 208953 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2010, 17:32:20 »

I must admit I thought the earlier post was just badly phrased, and what he really meant was that Chiltern were going to fit power doors on the mark 3s (like on the Irish ones) that they were buying...

Brackets to the rescue...

Paul
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2010, 17:43:41 »

I think the information that has been given is rumours from industry insiders that has been posted on the wnxx forum. Information can not obviously be copy and pasted without permission from posters of course and the forum can not be read without signing up so would only really reccomend it for people with a genuine interest in the railway and not the casual rail user. It is a good source of information as well as rumours if you know how to tell the difference between what are obvious lies.

(Btw not advertising the forum but giving an insight into where certain people get information from as well as letting people know it is not viewable to non-members like this site. If there is a problem with the post feel free to edit/delete mods)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2010, 18:56:27 »

From BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Wiltshire:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/wiltshire/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8977000/8977230.stm
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2010, 19:12:10 »

I have now listened to the Mark Hopwood interview on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Radio Wiltshire a bit more carefully and the Class 180s are indeed mentioned. Mr Hopwood actually replies to a specific question about the Adelantes.

He makes the point that there are rumours but people often put two and two together and get the wrong answer. He goes on to say that there is no deal in place, and it is just one option that FGW (First Great Western) are looking at to increase capacity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p009qv9v/Mark_ODonnell_07_09_2010/ Forward to the 2.21:45 mark. (Available until 14th September)

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2010, 20:05:50 »

Thanks, Timmer.

I think it's worth emphasizing just one key sentence in Mark Hopwood's comments, if I may:

If there's rolling stock out there that we can bring into the business and we can agree a deal with the government, we'd obviously love to do that.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2010, 20:34:28 »

Interesting that he mentions lengthening HSTs (High Speed Train)

How long ago is it that shortening some of them to make them faster was someone's bright idea? 

Paul

woody

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2010, 20:48:56 »

I have now listened to the Mark Hopwood interview and and just after the references to the Adalantes he goes on to say with reference to growth of the HST (High Speed Train) fleet in the last 15 years "We would like to put an extra carraige in some of those trains and we having a look on how we can achieve that,if there is rolling stock out there we can bring into the business and we can agree a deal with the government we would obviously love to do that".
 I wonder if that means a standard 2+8 fleet or even some 2+9 sets.What about those Irish Mk3s. 
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2010, 20:57:48 »

Quote from: Mark Hopwood (not from Nailsea)
If there's rolling stock out there that we can bring into the business and we can agree a deal with the government, we'd obviously love to do that.

i.e. if we can get someone else to pay for it...?

I wonder if that means a standard 2+8 fleet or even some 2+9 sets.What about those Irish Mk3s. 

Given the enormous amount of engineering effort that it took to convert loco-hauled mk 3 stock for use in XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))'s somewhat underutilized HSTs (High Speed Train), I don't think a mixed fleet of Irish and British mark 3 stock is a realistic prospect, putting things kindly!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:15:45 by inspector_blakey » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2010, 21:01:02 »

i.e. if we can get someone else to pay for it...?

Erm ... that was Mark Hopwood, not me!  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2010, 23:16:25 »

We don't want those expensive fire risks back. Bl**dy things always catch fire, or are breaking down, etc etc.

Although on the plus side, we will all have to get refresher training on how to dispatch one. Would also need a payrise, new trains to dispatch equals new conditions!!!!

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2010, 23:54:32 »

If the "bl**dy things always catch fire" then can you tell me how many have been written off since their introduction. Their reliability has improved immensely despite the fleet being split to various TOCs (Train Operating Company).

As for what SDS pad says about the refresher training and extra pay; just the sort of thing said by rail staff and their union representatives that set them in a bad light. The last Class 180 was used by FGW (First Great Western) in March 2009. Did staff take a paycut then?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2010, 01:51:54 »

Although on the plus side, we will all have to get refresher training on how to dispatch one. Would also need a payrise, new trains to dispatch equals new conditions!!!!

Why? Paddington have dispatched them before, yes will need to be re-assessed but I don't see why you should get extra pay?

To my knowledge pay didn't change when 180's were removed from the franchise.

If anything 180's are easier to dispatch... compared to an HST (High Speed Train) anyway.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:00:35 by Ollie » Logged
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2010, 02:16:21 »

Erm ... that was Mark Hopwood, not me!  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

Embarrassed

Duly unmangled!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2010, 09:34:45 »

Why? Paddington have dispatched them before, yes will need to be re-assessed but I don't see why you should get extra pay?

To my knowledge pay didn't change when 180's were removed from the franchise.

Frankly, nor do I....didn't you get extra when the 180s first came in? And you're *still* gertting that rise too, I bet?!! Even though FGW (First Great Western) let them go?

Get a life.....
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2010, 10:51:30 »

One current rumour circulating is the 5x180s are to go to FGW (First Great Western) to displace 5x165s to Cardiff-Portsmouth (subject to route clearance.)  However, if that happens FGW will be expected to forfeit 4x158s to East Midlands Trains but that will leave FGW with a net gain of 7 carriages.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: