29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 20:33:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[125] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[88] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[78] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[46] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Cable theft at Paddington causes severe disruption - 23 June 2010  (Read 19707 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: June 23, 2010, 15:38:21 »

Just received, from my FGW (First Great Western) text alerts:

Due to cable theft, services both to and from London Paddington are being severely disrupted for the rest of the day.

Please visit www.fgw.co.uk for updates.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 15:41:13 »

I've just had that one, too. Obviously my service provider took a bit longer to send it out. Not often I get one at all though so it must be fairly serious
James158

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 16:01:30 »

I have received a text at 15:34 from FGW (First Great Western) alerts. So it was a cable theft that caused the signalling problems at West Drayton. On the FGW website it also states the problem is caused by vandalism.

So 2 reasons:-

Signalling problems
Vandalism

All this caused by a person who stole a cable thinking it may be fun, not for the passengers who are travelling on the trains it is not. Where could they have stole the cable from?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 16:02:47 »

the following is currently displayed on the FGW (First Great Western) website

Service disruption between Paddington and Reading. Wednesday 23rd June at 15:55

Services between Paddington and Reading are severely disrupted due to signalling problems in the West Drayton area. Short notice cancellations, alterations and delays can be expected.

South West Trains, Chiltern Railways, CrossCountry Trains, Virgin West Coast (Birmingham for Worcester) and London Underground are accepting First Great Western tickets on all reasonable routes.

Disruption is likely to  continue until at least 22:00.

Customers with non-essential plans are advised not to travel.

Please see Journeycheck Alerts for updates

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 16:51:12 »

From FGW (First Great Western) live updates page:

Line incident

Line problem between London Paddington and Slough.

Train services are being disrupted due to vandalism between London Paddington and Slough. Engineers are working as fast as possible to restore services to normal. Short notice alterations, cancellations and delays of up to 90 minutes can be expected.

There will be ticket acceptance for First Great Western customers using Chiltern Trains, London Underground, and South West Trains services via any reasonable routes.

Last Updated: 23/06/2010 15:47

My emphasis in bold.  I won't quote all the individual services that are affected, obviously.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 17:09:55 »

I just got home, I caught the 15:27 from Padd called at Ealing Broadway, Hayes and then it was all stations to Oxford (and it was a 166  Angry  )

There seemed to be very few trains going west nothing on DM over took us on the DR trains east are mostly on the DR.

The drive did say the delays were due to vandalism in the West Drayton area and there were a number of Police cars in the area of the Uxbridge / Stains branch.

When I left Maidenhead on the 16:38 Marlow the station staff were announcing a lot of canceled trains, might be because FGW (First Great Western) / NR» (Network Rail - home page) are trying to get trains in the right places for tonights rush

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
James158

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 17:10:55 »

I have just visited the National Rail Enquiries website and it says a signalling problem resulting from vandalism is causing disruption at Iver. This is extending journey times of up to 90 minutes between London Paddington and Reading. These delays are expected to last until approximately 22:00. FGW (First Great Western) are running a reduced service on some routes. FGW ticket holders may travel with Chiltern Railways, South West Trains, CrossCountry services between Reading and Basingstoke and London Underground on any reasonable route.
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 17:29:28 »

Just got back off the 15:57 out of Paddington. It was absolutely heaving, again nothing overtook us on the DM, the UM west of Langley was full up with parked HSTs (High Speed Train), and judging by the amount of people window hanging, they had been there some time.

Live Departure Boards has most if not all of the thames valley fasts cancelled, and a 30 minute interval stopping service. All of the fast to Maidenhead or Twyfords are cancelled. I'm glad I'm home- it's just going to be horrendous at Paddington tonight.
James158

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 17:31:39 »

I have been sent a email at 15:31 from FGW (First Great Western). The email states:-

Dear Sir or Madam:

Due to the theft of signalling cable at West Drayton, an extremely limited train service is able to operate between London Paddington and Reading.

Network Rails Engineering Team are working as hard as possible to resolve this issue, but due to the amount of cable removed, disruption is likely to continue until 2200 this evening.

If you are planning on travelling today, we strongly advise that you check www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk for further information.

Whilst we will make every effort to operate the advertised train service, we do strongly recommend that you leave extra time for your journey.

We apologise for any potential disruption to your journey.

First Great Western
www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk

adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 17:34:04 »

Just checked Live Depature Boards again- unless I'm mistaken the 18:12 to Henley is the ONLY train for an hour and a half that will go to Maidenhead.
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 19:25:37 »

Network Rails Engineering Team are working as hard as possible to resolve this issue, but due to the amount of cable removed, disruption is likely to continue until 2200 this evening.
90ft if anyone is wondering!!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 20:22:29 »

Been told that the problem was reported before lunch time!
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 20:26:37 »

How does someone manage to steal 90ft of cable in the middle of the day without being noticed?  Surely trains passed during that time!   Huh

Here, there and Everywhere!!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 20:44:27 »

Well that was an absolutely shockingly bad journey home..

I got to Paddington at about half six.. 18.36 was cancelled even though it wasn't at the point I left work.. But not unexpected in the circumstances.. Shortly after the delayed 17.50 was announced on platform 1, first stop Maidenhead.. We all got on... At some point I think it changed to being the 18.22 but still stopping at Maidenhead (fortunately)... Eventually we left.. It was packed to the point that no more people could get on..

Between Hayes and West Drayton we stopped. For about 25 minutes.. Not ONE single announcement the whole time we were there or for the rest of the journey for that matter.. That is outrageous.. I also think, since so few trains had run (we were only the 2nd to leave Paddington) that maybe stop the train at a station not in the middle of nowhere.. Two people got ill in my small area of the train so goodness knows what the rest of the train was like..

I am not best pleased.. These things happen but it was made so much worse by no annoucements and just stopping a packed train in the middle of nowehere.. I will be complaining.. and then will sit back and wait for a standard reply about why the train was delayed rather than my points about how much worse it was made..

On top of my hour and a half delay yesterday it's not turning out to be a good week.. Sad
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 21:05:34 »

Erm ... large glass of white wine, Jo?  Tongue

Very sorry to hear about your two consecutive nightmare journeys home.  Shocked

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: