Delayed
07:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Swansea
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 07:56:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[69] access for all at Devon stations report
[44] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Different route to avoid using the tube  (Read 6689 times)
James158

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2010, 01:21:47 »

Hi

Please could somebody help with a different route enquiry.

Me and my mum has advance tickets from Bristol Temple Meads to Eastbourne in August and we wondered if we could change at Reading and take the train to Gatwick Airport and then to Brighton. This would then avoid us using the tube as I will be carrying a heavy suitcase up flights of steps and I didn't enjoy doing that at all last year.

Or, is the advance ticket only valid for using the tube. It shouldn't be as the train coming back is via the above route for the same price. All it says on the ticket is ''only valid for routes passing through Slough''. It is a shame that the 12:39 to Brighton didn't have a cheap ticket available as that journey would have been a lot quicker and easier.

Thanks for your help.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 01:51:18 »

With Advance tickets you have to stick to the itinerary as booked. I suspect you don't have seat reservations out of London Victoria down to Brighton/Eastbourne(?), but you will still need to travel as far as Paddington.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 01:57:27 »

Agreed: if you have purchased advance tickets, you have to keep to the particular train journey for which those tickets were booked.  Not necessarily the same seats - but the same train journey.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 03:28:43 »

If you've booked what's descibed as "Advance Single" tickets, then:

VALIDITY

You must travel on the date, time and trains specified. You may not start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station except to change to/from connecting trains as shown on the ticket(s) or other valid travel itinerary.

But if you've booked "Off Peak Single" tickets in advance then:

VALIDITY

Your journey must be on off-peak trains on the date specified. Off-peak times vary by route - our journey planner only shows off-peak tickets on trains for which they are valid.

In other words ... with the second type of ticket, even though it says "Routes via Slough" you are allowed to get off at Reading and cut your journey on that ticket short there. You could then buy a separate new ticket onward from Reading.   I'm not sure if you would be allowed to resume the previous ticket's use at Redhill, or have to use fresh tickets all the way from Reading to Eastbourne.

With the first type of ticket, you must use it on the specified train all the way to Paddington.  Technically, even if one of you was taken ill in Reading and you had to be taken from the station to hospital by ambulance, you would have to buy fresh full rate singles from Bristol. You could even be penalty fared as you tried to leave the station / change trains going off your original ticket.

In general, "Advance Single" tickets are very limited indeed in changes that can be made to your journey, and you should only book them if you are certain of your journey times, joining and leaving points, or if you are prepared to take the risk of loosing all or most of your money if you get it wrong, or if circumstances outside the control of an ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) member conspire to have you miss your train.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
James158

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 05:24:14 »

With Advance tickets you have to stick to the itinerary as booked. I suspect you don't have seat reservations out of London Victoria down to Brighton/Eastbourne(?), but you will still need to travel as far as Paddington.

No, we don't have seats reserved from London Victoria to Eastbourne. But it shouldn't be too busy, so I am sure we will get a table. We will go to Paddington and take the tube to Victoria.

Thanks for your help.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 10:19:01 »

Even if you went Reading Gatwick you'd probably still have to carry your suitecase up and down stairs.

You can do Padd - Victoria by escalator Bakerloo Oxford Circus cross tunnel (level) onto  Victoria line to Victoria then up escalator. It's quite often quicker than dragging round the Circle. Although I think there are still steps up from LUL (London Underground Ltd) ticket office to concourse at Victoria, unlike Padd where there are escalators down to the LUL ticket office. So it can be done with probably with only one flight of stairs.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 11:05:55 »

... This would then avoid us using the tube as I will be carrying a heavy suitcase up flights of steps and I didn't enjoy doing that at all last year ...

Taxi - Paddington to Victoria?   Not all that expensive if you compare it with two walkup fares on the tube - 10.80 (est) v 8.00 on the tube.

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/london/paddington+station/Victoria+Station
http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Travel/Transport/London/Underground.htm

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 11:08:45 »

But won't their tickets include the Tube if tehy are through tickets?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 11:16:39 »

Good point.   Still - on the cost of a holiday, with loads of chattels being taken along, they might feel that a tenner is a small extra price to pay for a journey that's less tiring and stressful.    I know that when I work in London, I use the taxi from Paddington if I'm carrying dragging more than about 25kgs.

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 11:24:11 »

... This would then avoid us using the tube as I will be carrying a heavy suitcase up flights of steps and I didn't enjoy doing that at all last year ...

Taxi - Paddington to Victoria?   Not all that expensive if you compare it with two walkup fares on the tube - 10.80 (est) v 8.00 on the tube.

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/london/paddington+station/Victoria+Station
http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Travel/Transport/London/Underground.htm

Having done Paddington to Victoria (well to a hotel right by there) I can tell you its a lot more than 10.80

Came more to something like 15.00

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 12:59:54 »

I know I've said this before on a different thread... But get the 36 or 436 bus from outside Paddington all the way to Victoria.. No steps at all, apart from the one to get onto the bus  Grin.. If I remember rightly bus tickets are ^2 each... Much more pleasant than the tube and much cheaper than a cab..
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 19:08:55 »

Yes, you're absolutely right - GBP2.00 single fare, must be bought from the machines at the stop using exact change before you board the bus.

Not included in the cost of a through rail ticket but may well be far less stressful than the underground esp with luggage (and I don't see any issue with regards to routeing or availability of the advance ticket, as long as you're at Victoria in good time for your booked train which you must catch).

Out of Paddington up the ramp to Praed Street, turn left then wait at the first bus stop on the mainline station side of the road to catch a 436 which runs every few minutes.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 20:17:13 »

More visually pleasing as well. Down Edgware Road to Marble Arch, then Park Lane, Apsley House, Hyde Park Corner, skirt the western side of Brenda's gaff, then onto Victoria.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 21:28:28 »

..and is generally quicker than the tube too.. I do that journey every day and only a handful of times (state opening of Parliament for example) is the bus slow as it gets stuck in traffic.. I'd recommend it every time
James158

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 21:32:42 »

Yes, our tickets include using the tube.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: