Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 22:45:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[147] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[126] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[46] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[23] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Calculating excess fares  (Read 5800 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2010, 12:31:12 »

I know this is slightly outside the FGW (First Great Western) area (except the one or two per day!), but I hope someone more knowledgeable about fares could help me out.

I need to get to Chichester from my parents house every day for the next few weeks.  Someone would drop me to Havant station and a SDR with my railcard is ^2.65.

However they won't be picking me up, so I'll need to return to Cosham to walk back home.  The fare from Cosham to Chichester is ^4.45.  Obviously I'd rather not pay the full extra ^1.80 each day, when I'm only making part of the journey.

If I bought HAV-CCH then on my way home went to the ticket window at CCH and asked for an excess fare for the return only, how much would I be charged?  Would it simply be half of the difference, i.e. 90p or is there some other crazy way they work these things out?

Also, could I buy the excess at the ticket window in Havant in the morning for travel later in the day?

TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack (aka "mini-stroke"))
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 13:49:55 »

The way I understand excessing is that it enables one fare to be "upgraded" to another fare but both teh start and end fare must be real fares.  So I doen;t think your proposal would work.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 14:17:14 »

The way I understand excessing is that it enables one fare to be "upgraded" to another fare but both teh start and end fare must be real fares.  So I doen;t think your proposal would work.

Hence another example of why the fare system is screwed

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 14:17:50 »

I don't think so either - they'll just sell you a single from Havant to Cosham./...
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 14:18:59 »

OK, thanks for the replies.  Looks like I'll just be buying a Cosham to Chichester every day (albeit bought at Havant).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 14:19:33 »

Hence another example of why the fare system is screwed

Why? All the OP (Original Poster / topic starter) is doing is travelling one way from his original departure station (having used both parts of the return) to Cosham.

That to me logically is a single from Havant to Cosham.

Simple.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 14:20:43 »

The way I read the reply - and past explanations lead me to believe it - if he wanted to excess a return ticket he had to do in both directions even if only wanting one

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 14:21:30 »

yup, that''s the way I read it....so the single would be cheaper...
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 14:29:51 »

yup, that''s the way I read it....so the single would be cheaper...
I don't think the single would be cheaper.  The cheapest option appears to be buying Cosham to Chichester but using the "You may start, break and resume or end your journey ..." rule to start at Havant.

The options appear to be:
1. Cosham - Chichester return ^4.45
2. Havant - Chichester single ^2.25 plus Chichester - Cosham single ^4.10 = ^6.35
3. Havant - Chichester return ^2.65 plus Havant - Cosham single ^2.40 = ^5.05
4. 7 day season ticket ^32.60, i.e. ^6.52 per return (more expensive as my railcard doesn't have a minimum fare in July and August)

Cheapest appears to be just the straight return.  The reason I'm questioning over such a small amount is that over 12 weeks (which is how long I expect to be making the journey), the 90p per day would have come to over ^50.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 15:00:46 »

Of course, this comes from the bizarre policy of returns being pennies more expensive than singles

Which is pure stupidity

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 15:09:05 »

Of course, this comes from the bizarre policy of returns being pennies more expensive than singles

Which is pure stupidity

i agree with you on that.  Hardly reflects the more complicated travel arrangements that people have these days.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 15:10:16 »

yes, I agree with you there.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 15:14:41 »

Overdistance excess on one leg only = half the difference in fares as long as you keep to the same ticket type.

'Buy before you board' also applies to excess fares. If you have an opportunity to buy the excess before boarding you must take it. A guard can rightly refuse an over-distance excess if you boarded at a station with an open ticket office. In this instance TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) don't count, because they are dumb machines that can't do excesses!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 15:42:14 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 16:50:33 »

Just a thought, but may be worth checking if a Cosham/Chichester season for the appropriate duration will save you any money. Given the big discount on seasons it's possible that it will.

NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) season ticket calculator

That then gives you the freedom to make whatever journeys you please (including joining/alighting short) between those two stations at any time of day.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 16:56:11 »

Just a thought, but may be worth checking if a Cosham/Chichester season for the appropriate duration will save you any money. Given the big discount on seasons it's possible that it will.

NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) season ticket calculator
Thanks for the link.  However in July & August, I can use my railcard before 10am without any minimum fares (so day tickets work out cheaper).

Also, its an agency job with no notice period in the contract.  I've had experience with another agency before where they didn't need a whole bunch of temps (myself included) half way through a day and just sent us all home (to make things worse, we only got paid for the three hours we'd been there that day).  So I'm being more restrained this time by only buying day tickets - even if they work out more expensive.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: