Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 07:02:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Refunds on Return Ticket Portions  (Read 3322 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2010, 16:58:39 »

Trout has had an interesting holiday... Well i'd hardly call it a holiday under the circumstances!

Trout went abroad to Spain to visit Grandad Trout, who within 1 day of me being there, Grandad Trout was rushed into hospital with Nuemonia (sp?) Sad

I flew out to Spain from London Stansted, and as I was working in Southampton the morning of my flight, I took the rather excellent (significantly slower) Southern service into London Victoria. I purchased a First Off Peak Period Returns at ^27.70 with the intention to use it to return to SOU and then buy another ticket to get to Frome (Changing at WSB» (Westbury - next trains))

To get to Stansted I used the Operater I despise the most... NXEA (National Express East Anglia)! Which I paid for a First Class Anytime Period Return ^30.35 (Effectively the price of 2 singles each way)

Now as my Grandad has been ill, I won't be returning until Sunday, and my Dad booked me on his return flight with QueasyJet into Bristol, Rendering the Southern and NXEA Return Tickets useless...! Angry

So my question is, Can I apply for a refund on the return portions of the tickets? or should I be making a claim on my Travel Insurace?! The latter something I wanted to avoid as much as possible. As getting anyone to cover me under travel insurance is hardwork (Subject to my medical status and 2 previous claims for hospital admissions abroad!).

I guess I should stick to staying in the UK (United Kingdom)... Cheesy

Cheers Wink

TT

* Edit - Changed fare to correct price, as shown in Bold
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 16:26:26 by thetrout » Logged

Grin Grin Grin Grin
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 17:06:34 »

Sorry to hear about your stressful holiday!

You can claim a refund for the unused return portions, but at half the face value less a GBP10.00 admin fee per ticket so doesn't look like you'll get much by going through those channels.

Travel insurance will often cover you for cancellation/curtailment/delay etc in the event of a close relative falling ill but you'd need to check your policy because I suspect a grandparent may not be considered to be close enough.

Good luck...!
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 17:12:55 »

Thanks Inspector... Looks like it will be the travel insurance route then Lips sealed

It gets worse, I have to try and extract monies for my return ticket with Ryanair, which I know is either going to be a pain in the a**e or just isn't going to happen.

Although I do know you can alter the flights, so I may do that in the event that I have to stay out here any longer than Sunday Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 21:44:49 »

If I remember rightly Ryanair during the volcano kerfuffle tried to wriggle out of it's reponsibilities to those aboard by claiming they do not sell return tickets, but only singles. Those stranded aboard were classed by the company as being in the country of orgin (for the ticket) and were initially not going to be given hotel accommodation and other entitlements for those stranded and were just treated as delayed passengers and given a few refreshment vouvhers!
Nibat

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 21:56:04 »

Just to clarify.

It's not half of the face value of the return ticket.  You discount from the ammount you paid the price of the cheapest open single and then the 10 pound admin fee on top of that.

Usually, unless you hold an anytime return, you will end owing monies to the TOC (Train Operating Company)...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 23:31:36 »

Indeed, the FGW (First Great Western) Passenger Charter says:

"The amount refunded will be based on the cost of the ticket when purchased, minus the cost of how much travel has been used."

Not forgetting the ^10 admin fee.

I believe all TOCS are the same when it comes to refunds where the passenger has decided not to travel.

So for thetrout's tickets:

SOU-VIC ^27-70 minus ^22.75 (FDS) plus ^10. Means thetrout owes Southern ^4.95!

Assuming the other ticket was London Liverpool Street to Stansted Airport (I can't find the ^31.30 FOR fare, closest is ^30.35 FOR) then.....

LST-SSD ^31.30 minus ^20.95 (FOS) plus ^10. Means thetrout can claim 35p from NXEA (National Express East Anglia).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 16:23:32 »

Quote from: bignosemac link=topic=7084.msg70667#msg70667
Assuming the other ticket was London Liverpool Street to Stansted Airport [b
(I can't find the ^31.30 FOR fare, closest is ^30.35 FOR)[/b] then.....

Sorry that was my error, your right, It was ^30.35 I paid for a FOR! I'll edit the post now Wink Sorry for the confusion!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 20:37:39 »

In that case you owe NXEA (National Express East Anglia) 60p!! Would you like their address so's you can send the cheque or postal order?

Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: