Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 05:02:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Perranwell ... some of the natives are still restless.  (Read 14739 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 13:20:20 »

and my sincerest apologies for drifting so far off topic Grin

Don't worry ... I have split the topic as it had gone off onto two really long and disconnected branches (like Mallaig and Kyle of Lochalsh) ... and no-one had much of a chance of keeping everyone happy as they posted onwards.

The HSS (High Speed Services) / Kent topic is now at:
     http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=4930.0

And we can carry on with Perranwell here.

Interesting, the Kent changes, the Perranwell changes, the TransWilts changes in December 2006 and the removal of the Bristol - Oxford service a couple of years before that can all be characterised by alterations which withdraw services / facilities that some people have come to rely on (perhaps just a retiming by less than 30 minutes at Perranwell, more severe in the other cases). 

Even a small and apparently insignificant change can course major problems - such things are not just a matter of when a train runs, but can alter the whole social / economic setup for some or many.  I can find you people who have had to give up their jobs because of changes to train routes and timetables ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 12:21:46 »

I regularly use Perranwell station and greatly appreciate the improved service.

The only thing I have brought up with FGW (First Great Western) is the connections at Truro with the main line. If the opposite hourly train stopped in the up direction the problem would be solved. This would also bring back hopefully the previous 0910 [0913 previously] first off peak train that had good connections to Penzance, St.Ives and Plymouth.

I have had no problems with trains stopping to alight or board in either direction and all train crew have been friendly when I have requested a stop..

I do not see why anyone should be confused or have anything to complain about from the notice that says 'some' of the trains stop on request when in fact 'all' trains that are scheduled stop on request.

Fuss about nothing.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 12:42:07 »

I do not see why anyone should be confused or have anything to complain about from the notice that says 'some' of the trains stop on request when in fact 'all' trains that are scheduled stop on request.

Fuss about nothing.

Not quite sure I agree with your Comment. I think both "some" and "all" are both potentialy confusing in this situation.

"Some" is probaly worse, as it immediately raises the question "which" trains stop by request.

"All" I would take to mean all trains passing through the station, which I understand is not teh case at Perranwell.

This is a classic case of where you need to apply Kipling's poem.

I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.

If you provide answers to all of these acurately then you've probably given teh best inforamtion possible.

The interesting one to answer is "why" eg Why is it a request stop.

Does anyone know the percentage of potential trains that could stop, don't stop due to no potential joiners or leavers? If it's greater than 50% (possibly 60%) then why is it a request stop?

FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 13:14:31 »

I basically feel that my local station at Perranwell with an approximate usage of 200 a week [assuming stats are correct] is extremely lucky to have an hourly service request stop or not. Especially in comparison to Melksham's problems.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 14:53:08 »

I too use Perranwell, I now know why the stopping services are the 20 past departures from either end, apparantly the 50 departures tie in with the old times on the line and were therefore considered to be used more extensively rather than the 'newer services'. It makes sense to use the relatively heavier used single car to skip Perranwell. Hopefully when demand levels out this decision can be reversed, and the better connected 50 departures can be timetabled to stop instead. 
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 16:08:39 »

I basically feel that my local station at Perranwell with an approximate usage of 200 a week [assuming stats are correct] is extremely lucky to have an hourly service request stop or not. Especially in comparison to Melksham's problems.
If the stats are correct that works out at about 28 passengers a day. Perranwell during the week has about 20 trains that can stop a day so that is just over 1 passenger per train. Does this seem sensible, or are the stats for Perranwell incorrect and underestimating usage? Does more than one passenger board each train as the article kind of implies this? What do the staff think?
jester

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 18:29:43 »

There are definately more people travelling from Perranwell, seemingly due to the lack of buses which coincided with the new timetable. It also shows some people using it one way and busing the other (bus pass users mostly) I have met lots of new train users, both youg and old, mostly commenting on the convenience into Truro and how inexpensive thee journey is.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 15:40:54 »

The residents of Perranwell should be even more delighted NR» (Network Rail - home page) (Birse) are installing new lighting this week, the groundwork seems to replicate that done at Penryn so should be much better.

RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 22:46:58 »

.... and the new information point trunking is now being installed. Unfortunately it seems to be passive like those recently installed in Truro. Would have liked some screen display but this is a good step forward.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 09:01:07 »

.... and the new information point trunking is now being installed. Unfortunately it seems to be passive like those recently installed in Truro. Would have liked some screen display but this is a good step forward.
It's meant to have a screen on it along with all the unmanned stations
Nemesis

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 06:33:28 »

All the trains booked to stop at Perranwell do so if there is a customer waiting on the platform.  Similarly, stops are made, (if booked), for pax on board trains who wish to alight there. 

I overheard a driver telling a guard that there is a laid down procedure of buzzer signals to indicate when a stop is required for passengers already on a train.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.  ~John Lennon
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 09:26:42 »

I overheard a driver telling a guard.....

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 16:16:02 »

It's meant to have a screen on it along with all the unmanned stations

The new passive screenless terminal at Perranwell was cut into service yesterday afternoon, has three buttons, an emergency, a call for travel information assistance and a computer generated announcement message (as per the old small blue box type) one.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: