Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:42:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[81] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[30] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[29] access for all at Devon stations report
[18] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[15] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help please- Bath to Liskeard on Wednesday Evening - Do I need to avoid XC  (Read 4824 times)
Tim

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2010, 09:45:49 »

I am planning to travel to Liskeard from Bath after work on Wednesday 4 August (returning by car with the rest of the family).  A look on the journey planner shows that the cheapest fare (^22 advance single, 1807 ex Bath) is with CX from Bristol.  I am tempted to take this fare as it is cheap, despite my dislike of Voyagers, rather than catch a FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train) from Taunton or Westbury)

Does anyone with more experience of that route than I have anything to disuade me from using XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)).  I would be put off if someone were to tell me it is likely to be crowded or delayed.     
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 10:38:28 »

Can't beat the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) advance fare for that day. But if you really want HSTs (High Speed Train) all the way then buy the ^34 Off Peak Single (SVS) and take the 1800 FGW (First Great Western) to Taunton arriving 1928, then the 1948 FGW to Liskeard arriving 2144.

If you can leave Bath a bit earlier then you can take 1731 to Westbury, change onto the 1803 for Taunton, then change onto the 1852 to Liskeard arriving 2052. Again no cheap ADV goiing this way, so still the ^34 SVS. Bear in mind with this option you will be on a Bristol Parkway to Westbury train with the 1731 from Bath Spa. No seat reservation possible. Also the connection at Westbury for Taunton, while official, is tight at only 5 minutes. Miss that and you're at Westbury until the 1901 for Taunton connecting into the aforementioned 1948 FGW to Liskeard.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:18:28 »

Thanks,

Does anyone know about likely crowding levels on the voyagers?  I note that the HST (High Speed Train) all the way option has Pulman Dining (1803 ex Paddington) which is tempting (would I get a seat in the Restaurant on a standard ticket?, and if not would they sell me hot food to take to my seat Travelling chef style?)   

Can;t decide to do cheap and nasty or splash out and do it in style
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 12:01:45 »

1844 from Bristol is an interesting one. When i've caught it from Taunton before on a Wednesday in March it was a 4 car Voyager and I stood to Exeter. Considering the fact that it is summer i'd probably give it a miss! Particuarly with the fact that its the first 'fast' train to Devon since 1744.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:12:08 »

can't comment on the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Voyager loadings from Bristol. As I avoid them where at all possible I have no idea what the 1844 from Bristol will be like. However if you do go for this option on the (current) ^22.00 ADV you will get a seat reservation. Book your ticket via crosscountry.co.uk and you can also choose your seat on the Bristol to Liskeard leg.

As regard the Pullman Restaurant on the 1803 ex Paddington, this service is only officially available from Paddington and Reading according to the timetable. It is usually well used from those points, even on a Weds, so they are unlikely to offer you a seat in the restaurant from Taunton. However, that being said, if it has been quiet from London you may get the opportunity to have a meal; I've seen people board at Taunton in the past and been served. No guarantees though - depends how desperate they are for the custom and what stock is available.

On the Pullman services there is just a standard buffet for the proles!

Another option if you can leave work early enough: Take the 1536 from Bath and change onto the 1623 at Westbury arriving Liskeard 1906. Current available ADV fares are ^23.00 Standard or a bargain ^29.50 1st Class. Plus the 1623 from Westbury has a Travelling Chef with at seat service if you choose the 1st Class option. I fear this train maybe to early for you though!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 15:05:19 »

thanks for all your help.  I suspect that the Restaurant is a non-starter

I hadn't realised that they only offer only one sitting.  I guess if you don;t get to the Steward shortly after boarding at paddington your chances of a seat must be low.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 18:21:16 »

You can pre book, might be worth giving them a bell?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 18:44:52 »

Booking is only available to 1st Class ticket holders. ADV 1st ticket from Taunton at 1948 currently ^63.50.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
pullman

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 22:29:52 »

I recently travelled on the 10:48 Penzance to Paddington in the Pullman Restaurant, which was rather quiet. But is there any chance of a standard class passenger getting a seat on the 18:03 Paddington to Penzance, or would it be heavely booked by 1st class passengers.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 23:33:57 »

Pot luck. Day of the week and time of the year are important factors. A Tuesday in February you might stand a chance of getting a seat in the Pullman Restaurant on the 1803. Same goes for the 1903. Friday nights would be unlikely at any time of the year.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 08:44:21 »

Thanks for all your help.  I went for the ^22 vomitor option in the end.  I'll let you know how aweful it was
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 10:39:16 »

I'll let you know how aweful it was

It's unlikely to be as bad as your spelling...  Roll Eyes

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 17:22:13 »

Well my spelling has not improved, but the train wasn;t too bad.  It was a 5 car Voyager which was full but no standing at Bristol, half full by Taunton and almost empty by Plymouth.

My only complaint would be that platform 10/12 at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) doesn;t have anywhere to sit although there would be plenty of space for seats.

I ate in Bath and bought a cuppa at AMT so lack of food was OK and away from teh ends of the coaches the smell wasn't too bad.
bigdaz
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 18:25:44 »

bought a cuppa at AMT

Surely Bath to liskeard didn't entail going via Aldermaston?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 20:12:35 »

Surely Bath to liskeard didn't entail going via Aldermaston?

Grin

http://www.amtcoffee.co.uk/   I suspect

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: