Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
07:48 Reading to Redhill
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 08:14:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[49] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[25] access for all at Devon stations report
[16] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Exeter St. Davids Operations This Evening  (Read 3626 times)
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2010, 22:15:50 »

A couple of questions for the numerous rail operations experts who contribute to the coffeeshop:

1) This evening the incoming stock to form the 2030 EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)-EXM (1932 ex-PGN I believe) was a 4-car 142/143 combination. Is there a reason why FGW (First Great Western) would run the same 4-car consist all the way to Exmouth? There would I think have been enough time to uncouple the two sets and the next service into P1 was not due for 45 minutes. Seems like an awful waste of diesel if it is a regular occurrence.

2) Because of the signalling problems near Newbury the 1736 ex-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) (2010/2019 at EXD as it normally waits for the Penzance service to pass) did not arrive until 2033. FGW decided not to hold the aforementioned 2030 EXM service. On the face of it this appears to be cr*p customer service (given the minimal potential delay I don't think FGW would have been financially penalised). I fail to understand why they would pull a stunt like this, unless of course the TM(resolve) of the Paignton train had confirmed that there were no Exmouth branch passengers on board (unlikely). 
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 00:10:22 »

If the TM(resolve) of the delayed PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PGN did not bother alerting Exeter that there were connecting passengers, then Exeter won't hold onto the train.  In all probability there probably were passengers, but if Exeter ring up and request a hold from Control, they will ask, "are there any connecting passengers?"  If the answer is anything other than "yes", then generally the answer from control is "no".

I have banged on before about TM's/Guards/Whatever we're called alerting stations to connecting passengers, but some are too lazy, and as you rightly points out it is cr*p customer service!  Angry

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 01:52:03 »

Had a similar bad experience once heading back to see the folks in west Wales - train to Cardiff from Bristol delayed, I ask the conductor about the west Wales connection in Swansea, he tells me to speak to the station staff in Cardiff. Staff in Cardiff tell me to speak to the train manager on the FGW (First Great Western) Swansea HST (High Speed Train). TM(resolve) on HST is having a jolly time in coach F drinking tea and shooting the breeze with a phalanx of other uniformed FGW staff and therefore much too busy to call control or make any attempt to help me out, but tells me to speak to the staff in Swansea. Guess what...? Duty manager in Swansea tells me to get the next train to Carmarthen and speak to the chargeman there. I end up in Carmarthen at about 2300 at night and have the pleasure of speaking to the grumpiest member of staff I've ever encountered who flatly refuses to help and tells me to wait for the Fishguard boat train (due through at about 0030). When I dare to ask him whether he can provide a taxi to Whitland he tells me that if I challenge anything else he's said he'll shut the door in my face and forget about me.

I ended up forking out for a taxi in despair but there was a happy ending, as when I told customer services the whole sorry tale I was eventually reimbursed the taxi fare Roll Eyes

So yes, it certainly does happen sometimes and is very annoying when it does. It's a real shame because there are so many staff who will routinely go out of their way to help!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 13:34:12 »

1) This evening the incoming stock to form the 2030 EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)-EXM (1932 ex-PGN I believe) was a 4-car 142/143 combination. Is there a reason why FGW (First Great Western) would run the same 4-car consist all the way to Exmouth? There would I think have been enough time to uncouple the two sets and the next service into P1 was not due for 45 minutes. Seems like an awful waste of diesel if it is a regular occurrence.

No driver available to take the unit left behind at EXD to the depot?  Problem with the coupling?  Large crowds at Exmouth at the end of a pop concert who would be catching the return train?  No-one thought about it?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 17:24:03 »

I've had a similar experience at Exeter with connecting trains. My parents where on holiday near Axminster and I was due to join them after work, so I caught a service from Castle Cary > Exeter after work, which ended up being 25 late, which doesn't sound like alot, but I had only 15 minutes to make my connection at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains). Roll Eyes

So I made myself known to the TM(resolve) onboard who was helpful but thetrout did not like the answer he was given, which was this "That is a SWT (South West Trains) service and they won't wait for us" Which I thought was bluddy outragous considering that the next service wasn't for another 2 hours! Angry

No brownie points for guessing what happened when I arrived at EXD...! Angry Thank goodness for free WiFi at Wetherspoons! Cheesy

But just to open a tin of worms, despite the fact that they are 2 different operators, I think they should have held the train! But to be fair I did get 100% compensation in rail vouchers Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Nibat

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 19:55:51 »

That's SWT (South West Trains) for you!!

We used to have problems down at DWL and TGM with them when they were still coming this way.  Usually if the one to PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) was over 20 min late into Exeter, 9 out of 10 times would terminate at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) with the back-working starting also there.  They wouldn't hold the train for the stopper to arrive with connecting passengers or provide alternative transport unless it was their own fault, I was told by the duty manager that they didn't consider fatalities as their fault so passenger were told to wait 2 hours for the following train...

Glad I don't deal with them anymore!!!!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 20:12:22 »

I've had a similar experience at Exeter with connecting trains. My parents where on holiday near Axminster and I was due to join them after work, so I caught a service from Castle Cary > Exeter after work, which ended up being 25 late, which doesn't sound like alot, but I had only 15 minutes to make my connection at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains). Roll Eyes

Problem is, and this is still the case even since the Axminster redoubling, you cannot really delay an up service without wrecking the whole service because of all the single track sections.  No easy answer I'm afraid, and although it's easy to criticise SWT (South West Trains), I doubt FGW (First Great Western) would hold for 10 mins either on their similarly restricted Cotswold line with its long singled sections...

Paul
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 21:12:09 »

Sticking up for SWT (South West Trains), their control will generally allow a hold up to about 5 minutes - yesterday the 1826 to Waterloo left about 5 late to allow a connection with the delayed XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Paignton that was running 15 late.

thetrout - Surely if the next service is 2hours then they are required to provide alternative transport ?  Even XC open their wallet and provide a taxi if the next service is 2+ hours (eventually)  Wink

Most of this comes down to preparation and monitoring delays, connections and putting the ball in Controls decision, rather than "oh bugger, we've just let the Exmouth go, and a late Pad-Pnz is just rolling in".  Unfortunately Duty Station Managers are very inconsistent at monitoring these situations IMO (in my opinion)  Roll Eyes

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: