Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:14 Plymouth to Penzance
09:44 London Paddington to Hereford
09:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
11:14 London Paddington to Oxford
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
08:13 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
08:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
08:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
07:48 Reading to Redhill
08:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 09:36:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[68] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[26] Cornish delays
[10] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[3] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Person hit by a train at Twyford - 04 Feb 14  (Read 15221 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 14:39:12 »

Posting as one of let night's headless chickens ...  Wink ... perhaps, having slept on this it's a good time to reflect, analyse, and perhaps we can even make a couple of cheeky suggestions to FGW (First Great Western) as to little changes.

Thanks Grahame - I can take your whole post to FGW via the Customer Panel. Useful suggestions, all!.

Some clarifications that I do know answers to....

Suggestion (1):  A one line 'ticker tape' status banner on each of these - even if it says as little as "We have just [18:37] received reports of a problem on the main lines. All services are held while we learn more. Next update by 18:52 at the latest"

Don't think these boards can be adjusted in that way without a lot of work, however, I'm sure several more of those mobile destination boards (which are more free-form by way of displaying text) would be very useful. And yes, agree with adding those timing points. I've been saying this for a long time, that giving passengers as much info as possible allows them to make informed decisions about onward journeys & declutters queues of pax trying to obtain same!

One thing I'd add is the time of the start of disruption event - most commuters can work out how long a fatality takes to clear up (usually 90-120mins,for example) and can plan according to how long after said event they arrive at the station. So might be worth a different route if I've arrived 10mins after it started, but not if it happened an hour ago. But unless you know how long ago it started, you can't make a properly informed decision!

Suggestion (2): I've seen FCC (First Capital Connect) do it - a "what alternatives are there in the event of disruption?", together with, perhaps, a paragraph on the steps that FGW go though ... "Please bear with us in the early stages of disruption.   When something goes wrong, it takes us a little time to find out what's happened, and some more time to know how long it's going to take to fix and what the options are.  But we WILL promise to update you at least once every 15 minutes, even if the answer is "don't know yet"."    Alternative options listed may include use of Greenford Trains, South West Trains from Waterloo, Chiltern from Marylebone, Heathrow services, etc.   Most commuters have common sense - so explain that it's better to hold services at Paddington than to dispatch in hope and leave people crammed into trains near the wilds of Slough for indeterminate periods.

Yup - this is all bog-standard stuff that doesn't change from incident to incident. So produce literature and a pdf for the website on a disruption info page. And ensure the info points have them to put out there in times of disruption!

Suggestion (3): "Off Peak restrictions lifted" was announced ... and that was contradicted by the departure board for the 18:15 to Swansea when in flashed up.  But what exactly does 'lifted' mean.  Would my off peak return half to Melksham have been accepted on the first connection in the morning?

Not likely, unless it was definitely going to go on so long that the service for the day was effectively over. It just means that the peak restrictions *for that peak* have been lifted. I think most pax would work that out - but obviously not, so thanks for that. In fact, they ought to have said "Peak restrictions lifted", for that was what the restrictions are. That is the standard practise.

they called the 18:15 and - scrum down. It was the only possible chance to catch my last connection from Swindon, and it's unclear to me whether "person hit by train" is considered to be a rail industry fault, so whether compensation (not really interested) and / or getting e to destination come what may (very interested) would click in.

It's not. Just as a vehicle striking a bridge isn't. Which I agree with, as the railway can't be responsible for someone being in the wrong place, at the wrong time, deliberately or not. But see below for them getting you to your destination. A connection is still a connection.

Suggestion (4): back to that FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) again ... have information in there about how and when information might be expected, how it's best to keep people in stations not between, why there can't be announcements on trains while they're waiting (!) and a promise of a time limited update come what may.   And if even one or two people have that FAQ, they'll share it with others; keep people in the dark and they'll complain - help explain (better yet get them to explain to each other) and the whole atmosphere becomes easier.

More for that leaflet/pdf....

Suggestion (6): don't let staff guess answers just to move customers on.  I really didn't want to do 4 sets of stairs with heavy bags, and nearly be delayed a further hour, because of a guess!

That could have been handled *so* much better....

Chippenham - dispatcher sends off west and east trains, writes out a taxi chit and finds me a taxi.  Quite a relief - didn't really want to fork out nearly 30 quid of my own or wait 90 minutes for the late bus.  THANK YOU.   But I really wish I knew the precise rules.

You arrived off a train within the stated connectional time for that station, so they're *obliged* to get you to that train's destination (or yours, if alighting intermediately) by an alternative means. That *might* mean waiting for the next one, if it's within an hour or so - sorry. But where there isn't another, alternative has to be found. If it's the next train - negotiate if it's over 30minutes. Always worth a try, you might find a compassionate employee. But you can't demand unless its a *long* time away.
Jonty

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 18:50:07 »

My Basic Rule when there are problems is...

Up - take the first train that arrives.

Down - Chill, have a pint, and wait for the first called 125 to Reading...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2014, 20:12:03 »

Chilling out and having a pint/coffee or boarding the first available train are both perfectly valid options. I don't think we need to criticise each other for the choices we make.

Some folk just want to be home after a hard day at work, maybe to see the children before bedtime or for other quality time. Other folk are happy to have a drink or two and sit it out. Each to their own.

Both groups have valid reason to question lack of information on the ground, but should also be aware that the root cause of the problem in this case was outside the control of the rail industry. Yes, recovering from it is within the industry's control, but these are very often changing and complex situations.

Finally, take a little time to spare some thoughts for the family and friends of the deceased, the driver of the train involved, and those who had the unenviable job of attending and dealing with the incident.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 20:58:00 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 23:13:37 »

Returning to the actual incident, it appears the identity of the woman has not yet been established.

From GetReading

The death on the railway line at Twyford last night was an unidentified woman.

British Transport Police spokesman Simon Letouze said officers were called to Twyford Station yesterday following a report a woman had been struck by a train.

He went on: "The incident was reported to BTP (British Transport Police) at 5.45pm and is currently being treated as non-suspicious.

^Medics from South Central Ambulance Service also attended but the woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

^Enquiries are ongoing to confirm the identity of the woman. A file will be prepared for the Coroner.^

The incident cause delays to the service of up to an hour during the evening.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 00:28:42 »

Apparently, she was only 18.. just stood between the rails.  Sad

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: