Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 02:27:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50
  Print  
Author Topic: New Customer Information Systems  (Read 230789 times)
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #720 on: August 17, 2012, 09:03:05 »

New screens now in operation on Platforms 5/7 Bristol Temple Meads.   On 9/11 we now jave 2 side by side, one permanently on Page 1 and the other Page 2.  Don#t have to wait for them to scroll over
stationstop

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: August 25, 2012, 12:23:47 »

The majority of screens have now been replaced with the new system at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains). There is also a scrolling LED board on platform 2!

A notable platform of course because it's not used for anything other than storing spare/out of service units.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #722 on: August 25, 2012, 14:36:50 »

Welcome to the Coffee Shop forum, stationstop.  Smiley

Thanks for that update.  It is indeed rather bizarre to have installed a new board for platform 2: perhaps it will be used to confirm that 'This train is not available for customer use', or whatever?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 25, 2012, 15:44:32 »

Or a sensible decision to have a screen in place should the platform be brought back into use in the future.

Perfect for Portishead terminators.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: August 25, 2012, 17:19:26 »

I see a few problems have already started with some screens having pixel failures, the ones at Pewsey just randomly flashing and displaying nothing, and clocks stopping/or showing hours out of sync.   Lips sealed

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 28, 2013, 17:48:33 »

I've noticed new LED 'next train departure' screens going in at some of the smaller stations that used to only have the combined help point/departure screen recently.  They include Radley, Heyford and Tackley.  Welcome I suppose, though a little over the top at somewhere like Tackley in my opinion.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 28, 2013, 20:15:32 »

Especially considering that some other busy stations only have the yellow button help points, which only provide the most basic of audio information, simply the final destination of the next trains, not even a calling pattern. Stations I can think of that should have either next train screens or help points fitted with screens are Camborne, Highbridge & Burnham, Keynsham and Oldfield Park, but I expect there are others too.
insider

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 29, 2013, 01:47:15 »

New Screens have been put in at Shiplake & Wargrave on the Henley Branch.

It seems that unlike main stations these screens run off a GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) signal and not a normal network connection, perhaps, more stations will follow suit??
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #728 on: September 29, 2013, 07:16:20 »

GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) (General Packet Radio Service) is the data standard - or at least one of the data standards - used for data rather than voice over mobile phone.  And I can confirm that the information point at Melksham station (at least) works off a mobile phone signal.

I cannot stress enough how useful it is having this help point, with screen (available, working, showing current data) - as a confirmation / comfort to regular users when services are on time, as an alert when there are service issues, and as a current timetable for anyone who finds the complete Cardiff to Portsmouth line timetable hard to read ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 29, 2013, 07:26:06 »

Just as an aside I have had several people tell me they now have GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) on their iPhones since the recent software upgrade. In fact nothing has changed except it now says GPRS when 3G is not available rather than a white dot!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 29, 2013, 09:42:22 »

...Perfect for Portishead terminators.

Is that the local rugger team?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #731 on: September 29, 2013, 18:50:29 »

Hanborough has this week had a scrolling high level CIS (Customer Information System) screen installed. Engineers (Mitie) seemed to be working on it on Thursday and it was displaying a general message "Welcome to Hanborough" plus some gobble-de-goop referring to GPRS (General Packet Radio Service). Later that day it seemed to be working correctly but at 20.00 yesterday evening when the FGW (First Great Western)/CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) Cotswold/Purbeck Express excursion train returned from Dorset it was again displaying the gobble-de-goop message.

Incidentally while the train passed over the metals of the Swanage Railway it was only allowed to go as far as Corfe Castle because of fears that it would foul a platform at Swanage. Fortunately the Swanage Railway management were very helpful and laid on a special steam train to take travellers to and from Corfe Castle and Swanage. Never the less it was a most enjoyable day out and for the steam entheusiasts the short steam hauled journey into and from Swanage was an added bonus.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 29, 2013, 22:33:44 »

I've noticed new LED 'next train departure' screens going in at some of the smaller stations that used to only have the combined help point/departure screen recently.

In my neck of the woods I noticed in the last few days that Aldermaston now has them, and it looks (from work-in-progress) as though Midgham will get them too.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 30, 2013, 23:20:21 »

I saw one of the new screens in action today. They also provide train announcements through a small speaker in the bottom of the screen. They are more basic than the announcement systems previously fitted and use a text-to-speech system rather than actual pre-recorded clips.
Nibat

View Profile Email
« Reply #734 on: October 03, 2013, 04:34:35 »

Especially considering that some other busy stations only have the yellow button help points, which only provide the most basic of audio information, simply the final destination of the next trains, not even a calling pattern. Stations I can think of that should have either next train screens or help points fitted with screens are Camborne, Highbridge & Burnham, Keynsham and Oldfield Park, but I expect there are others too.

Weston Milton and Polsloe Bridge, for example, already had helpoints with screens installed originally.  Unfortunately they were replaced by ordinary ones after they were constantly vandalised.  Camborne also shows in the list of screens, so I can only guess that if there isn't one now is because of the same reason...

Unfortunately, some *d**ts only learn one way...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50
  Print  

Jump to: