Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 22:59:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[145] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[109] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[93] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[92] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[34] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 50
  Print  
Author Topic: New Customer Information Systems  (Read 230863 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2010, 21:10:48 »

Hmm.  Roll Eyes

You would perhaps have thought so, IndustryInsider - but, after several months, neither of the Information Points at Redland or Montpelier have been repaired / replaced.

CfN.  Angry

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2010, 21:36:30 »

Redland and Montpelier's help points were both stolen in February.  No sign of any replacement yet. 
This is what remains:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brucebolt/4656313408/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brucebolt/4656308396/

I believe it is a very serious design fault if the devices can be removed from the wall by vandals/thiefs/etc?
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2010, 09:23:52 »

Has anyone got any information as to if any station have started having the new Full CIS (Customer Information System) fitted yet?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2010, 10:06:59 »

Not noticed any during my travels.  Lots of clocks gone though...

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2010, 10:59:35 »

Not good! Surely the screens are alot wider than the clocks, so would require the bar of which the clock used to hang from to be made longer?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2010, 11:42:25 »

new bars, I suspect...
Sprog

View Profile Email
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2010, 12:38:48 »

Hmm.  Roll Eyes

You would perhaps have thought so, IndustryInsider - but, after several months, neither of the Information Points at Redland or Montpelier have been repaired / replaced.

CfN.  Angry

Why should FGW (First Great Western) shell for new machines repeatidly when they along with the TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) ar just being constantly trashed.

I should magine that they have been severely put off of installing further machines as they are just being mindlessly vandalised. It must be loosing them ridiculas amounts of money in both purchase and installation costs.

People should not be having a pop at FGW for not chasing around like idiots repairing smashed up machines, they should be going for the scrotes that vandalise the machines in the first place.

And as for the comments about how the machine has a design flaw of being able to be removed, what a load of tosh, why should everything have to have tonnes of extra money spent on it making it essentially bomb proof? They are supposed to be a standardised cost effective PIS (Passenger Information System) system, they should simply not be vandalised in the first place. The focus on  society now is so wrong, it seems to be a case of protection not prevention. Takes the pi$$!

Station users/local residents have no one to blame for the OOU (out of use) machines in their area but some of the local residents. I suggest that you consult your local neighborhood watches or PCSOs etc to try and tackle the problem. Or failing that, just electrify that cases of the Help points so that if anyone touches anythng other than the buttons, they wont know what hit them.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:45:38 by Sprog » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2010, 12:49:54 »

I would completely agree with this.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2010, 23:04:49 »

You've made some very valid points there, Sprog.

The installation of the various PIS (Passenger Information System)/CIS (Customer Information System)/TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) bits of kit is, I believe, a franchise commitment of FGWs (First Great Western).

One wonders whether it is only the installation that is a commitment and not the upkeep?!?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2010, 09:09:46 »

Rub=n of the mill upkeep, like breakdown, yes - but I doubt repairing wanton vandalism is seen in the same light.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2010, 11:56:22 »

Plymouth now has a new help point on platform 5/6, still under cover though.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2010, 19:36:22 »

I noted 4 of the CIS (Customer Information System) on the Severn Beach Line were out of action on Friday 8th October. The one at Shirehampton is still, just about, intact, but someone has had a good go at removing it from the wall. It's in a sorry state and a disembodied voice was saying, "Please wait", over and over. The 'Information' button wasn't working either. Didn't push the 'Emergency' button obviously.

At Severn Beach the screen was blank, although the 'Information' button was working. The nice man in India wanted my full contact details to log the fault so I decided it would be easier to report the faults/vandalism at Temple Meads.

I also noted that the screen on the CIS at St Andrew's Road was showing a Windows pop-up and nothing else. The screen at Clifton Down platform two was also blank.

So with Montpelier and Redland's missing CIS that's 60% of the the screens out of action on this particular morning on the SVB Line. (Excluding Stapleton Road and Lawrence Hill.)

Shirehampton:

Severn Beach:

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2010, 19:50:45 »

I wonder, considering all the changes, are National Rail going to be sending round Mr orange jacketed photographer again for the 'Stations Made Easy' photos to show all the upgraded equipment at stations receiving it?
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2010, 20:15:59 »

Didn't push the 'Emergency' button obviously.
Out of interest, does anyone know who answers calls on the "Emergency" button?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2010, 20:36:14 »

Swindon Control, I understand.  They will then liaise with whichever emergency service(s) and / or Network Rail team needs to become involved.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 50
  Print  

Jump to: