Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
Delayed
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 20:49:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[177] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[54] access for all at Devon stations report
[34] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[28] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW Website and Railcard Min Fares/Routing  (Read 3763 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2010, 09:08:36 »

Could someone make sure I'm not going mad and confirm that the FGW (First Great Western) website is selling a ticket that wouldn't be valid.

Cosham to Southampton Central, Any Permitted SDR is ^8.20 without railcard
Same ticket is ^5.40 with 16-25 railcard, subject to ^12 minimum fare before 10am

On the FGW website, I can buy this SDR and get a reservation for trains before 10am with a railcard discount.  As far as I know, this ticket wouldn't be valid on the train.

The website only quotes the lower price for Monday 6th September and Tuesday 7th September ... slightly outside the July and August period!

Same on the East Coast website - says these tickets are valid.  Checked my diary and these aren't bank holidays, so shouldn't be valid.

Is there anything obvious that would make this ticket valid or simply another case of online journey planners quoting for invalid tickets?

Edit: changed the thread title to reflect my later question
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:54:32 by Brucey » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:28:27 »

I've askesd my Fares contact at FGW (First Great Western) the question....
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:45:28 »

Minimum Fare does not apply July and August. So September should be showing correct thing. See what Chris comes back with.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:46:21 »

The website only quotes the lower price for Monday 6th September and Tuesday 7th September ... slightly outside the July and August period!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 08:53:40 »

Another (possibly crazy) thing that I've found for the same journey.  Could someone confirm I'm using the Routeing Guide correctly.

Cosham - Southampton Central SDR ^7.40 (SN Only) / ^8.20 (Any Permitted)
Cosham - Eastleigh SDR ^6.60 (Any Permitted)

Cosham is in Portsmouth Group
Eastleigh is a routeing point

Using the Yellow pages, Portsmouth Group to Eastleigh is CW (Christian Wolmar (rail journalist))+WW only.  CW shows Portsmouth to Southampton whilst WW shows Portsmouth to Eastleigh (direct via Hedge End) AND Southampton to Eastleigh.  (Hope I've followed this bit correctly)

Can I correctly assume that the Eastleigh ticket is valid for a break at Southampton Central (and therefore save ^1.60 on each journey)?  The FGW (First Great Western) website offers the ^6.60 ticket when I put via. SOU, so this must be correct? Grin
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 08:58:19 »

I've askesd my Fares contact at FGW (First Great Western) the question....

Partial answer is that it seems to be a programming error with The Trainline site, as NRE(resolve) shows correctly....Been passed to SWT (South West Trains) as well to investigate. Other instances of the same problem elsewhere on the network have been discovered.

More when I get it.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 12:32:17 »

Can I correctly assume that the Eastleigh ticket is valid for a break at Southampton Central (and therefore save ^1.60 on each journey)?  The FGW (First Great Western) website offers the ^6.60 ticket when I put via. SOU, so this must be correct? Grin

Remember though you'll have to ask the barrier staff at Southampton to let you in and out, because the barriers won't be programmed for break of journey - this is normal in most places because of the extra programming involved. 

I've had a bit of a debate at Central on a Swanwick to Southampton Parkway ticket, which is a little cheaper than the Central fare.  They first tried the 'should have changed at St Denys' opening gambit, and I replied with the fact there's an easement allowing doubling back via Central for stations on the Netley line...

30262 Customers travelling Southampton Airport Parkway and North thereof to Bitterne and beyond may doubleback between St Denys and Southampton Central. This easement applies both directions.

Paul
bigdaz
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 20:06:14 »

Is there also an easement if you're travelling to Farnborough North, to double back via North Camp?  NRE(resolve) tried to route me like that the other day but I didn't want to in case it wasn't allowed!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 20:17:54 »

Can't find an easement that says that in The Rail Routeing Guide. However if National Rail Enquiries or an online ticket retailer gives you an itinerary for a particular ticket then it has to be valid. Always worth printing your itinerary if you have doubts about route validity.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 10:24:48 »

However if National Rail Enquiries or an online ticket retailer gives you an itinerary for a particular ticket then it has to be valid.

But beware - they often (in my experience) offer a route, but when you click through for the fares, they don't exist - and hence that particular routing doesn't either!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 16:12:22 »

You're right ChrisB. That does tend to happen when NRE(resolve) offers a route and fare that seems a bit 'strange' and when you are redirected to a retailer you find said ticket and/or route is not available after all. However I have seen numerous instances when using online retailers directly that offer 'strange' routes and yet the ticket is available, despite no easement being explicity listed in the Rail Routeing Guide. For that reason, that is why I suggested carrying a printed itinerary. Obviously if NRE doesn't concur with the ticket retailer then there's little point in printing off their suggested route and/or fare.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: