Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 06:18:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you get a refund if.....  (Read 7065 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: August 15, 2010, 16:10:15 »

You weekend first upgrade then because it's busy, half way through the journey the new tm decides to let standard passengers sit in fc with no upgrade required

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
railwayfan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 16:19:26 »

No
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 16:31:46 »

No harm dropping a line to Customer Services, explaining what happened. If the majority of your journey was in a de-classified 1st Class carriage then you can argue that if you had waited or boarded later you wouldn't have had to pay the upgrade. However, a goodwill gesture is unlikely if the carriage was de-classified near the end of your journey.

Which TOC (Train Operating Company) are we talking about?

Hope this is a more constructive reply than the first one!  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 16:52:22 »

Got on at nail sea on the 1512 departure - crew change at Bristol - already had the weekend first upgrade.

Just after chippenham new train manager tells the train that as it is so busy, standard class pax can go sit in first - not helped by the air con in b being up the duff

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 17:14:38 »

Got on at nail sea on the 1512 departure - crew change at Bristol - already had the weekend first upgrade.

Just after chippenham new train manager tells the train that as it is so busy, standard class pax can go sit in first - not helped by the air con in b being up the duff
FGW (First Great Western) Weekend First covers a zonal system. I'm assuming you were going to Reading? In which case you could try and get ^5 back?

Nailsea - Chippenham is ^10
Nailsea - Reading/Paddington is ^15

But then after Chippenham did you still get some complimentary stuff?

No guarantees that you will get anything, but write in and see what happens and let us know Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 17:19:01 »

You paid ^15 I assume for a three zone Weekend First?

If that's the case then you only got exclusive 1st class travel in two zones, and even then only just two zones as Chippenham is the first station in the next zone when travelling toward London from the Bristol area.

No harm in asking nicely for ^10 back, but you may strictly only be entitled to ^5. After all anyone with a normal 1st class ticket would be entitled to a refund of the difference between STD and 1st fares for the portion of their journey that was de-classified.

I don't think whether you got any 'comps' is relevant. Full 1st Class ticket holders would still be able to get a refund of the difference in fares regardless of whether they'd had any 'comps'.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 18:56:26 »

Any reason 1530 Bri Pad was so busy?  Huh
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 19:15:40 »

Can't think of one but I'm not really a local yet

Hordes - and I mean hordes - got on at Bristol, bath and chippenham so it was not just one place.

Was six late leaving Weston I know that but it just kept losing time due to the amount of people joining

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 19:22:09 »

End of Bristol Balloon Fiesta? Once they're gone, they're gone, I guess, and I know that the balloons tend to drift east over Bath and beyond ... indeed they often land in the field behind us - 12 miles beyond Bath.

Perhaps I should have put that in "other ways to travel"?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 19:32:10 »

Ah yes of course, forgot about the baloon festival.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 19:37:01 »

1530 ex Bristol does seem a little early for the returning Fiesta hordes though. The Red Arrows weren't scheduled to perform until 4pm with another mass ascent planned for 6pm.

(Site report from a friend who's there.... yes there was a mass ascent this evening.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 18:08:47 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 19:59:58 »

I have a feeling that there's something buried away in notices, byelaws or conditions somewhere (although I couldn't find it in the Conditions of Carriage on a quick skim read a few mins ago) saying that the train companies are at liberty to declassify first class vehicles as they see fit, and in that case they have no liability to first class ticket holders already occupying them. On that basis you may not be entitled to a refund, but as I can't seem to find a source for it at the moment I may be out of date or just outright incorrect - anyone else know what I'm talking about?

There's always the chance of some sort of ex gratia reimbursement if you ask nicely though I suppose.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 20:22:23 »

There is this from the NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) which could be interpreted (as usual, down to interpretation) as relevant in FA's case.

From the National Rail Conditions of Carriage:
G. TRAIN ACCOMMODATION AND RESERVATIONS

38. Travelling in standard class accommodation with a first class ticket

If you have a first class ticket (or the equivalent) and the first class accommodation (or the
equivalent) shown in the National Rail timetable is not available on any train you travel in,
you may claim a refund of the difference in price between the first class and the standard
class ticket for the relevant part of your journey.

That bit about 'a first class ticket (or the equivalent)' could potentially cover FAs scenario. De-classification makes the 1st Class accomodation 'not available'. In FAs case the difference in fares is the upgrade payment for the 'relevant part' of her journey, which I think should be ^10 as she was in Standard accomodation through two zones. Or FGW (First Great Western) could say that the refund should be based on the zones travelled in prior to the de-classification, in which case it would be ^5.

Either way, I think this part of the NRCoC can be interpreted to cover the de-classification of 1st Class accomodation for refund purposes.

Just my interpretation mind, not a statement of fact!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 21:07:08 »

De-classification makes the 1st Class accomodation 'not available'.

I don't think I agree with that interpretation - of course the first class accommodation is still there! It's just that there are plebs sitting in it who haven't paid extra...

I'm absolutely sure there is a clause somewhere in a relevant document that absolves train companies of liability to refund first-class ticket holders when the vehicles are declassified (I just can't for the life of me remember where I read it), otherwise they'd never do it.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 22:05:18 »

Doubt whether anything is due to be rights - the arguement is that you got what you paid for. Just because some people got more than they paid for is not a reason to refund you. You didn't pay for an empty carraige!

Bit like upgrades on an aircraft, I would think. Can't imagine BA» (British Airways - about) refunding their first class passengers because some economy class peeps where upgraded.

Your only arguement for a refund would be that you did not get what you paid for.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: