Train RunningCancelled
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 14:02:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[140] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[127] access for all at Devon stations report
[55] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[6] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eireann looking to offload Mk3 intercity coaches  (Read 6813 times)
woody

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2010, 09:46:07 »

"State railway company Iarnrod Eireann is to sell off dozens of trains left languishing in a railway 'graveyard' in Dublin.

The last of the iconic 80s orange and black intercity trains are to disappear forever after the company said yesterday it was hoping to sell or lease them. They are likely to end up in the UK (United Kingdom).

The rail company is seeking offers to buy or lease 82 Mark III passenger coaches built between 1984 and 1986."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/irish-rail-company-eireann--looking-to-offload-iconic-intercity-trains-14918542.html

Opportunity knocks I think for some "value for money TOC (Train Operating Company).Certainly Xcountry could do worse than replacing its dreadful Voyager fleet with re-bogied Irish Mk3s.

6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 10:41:48 »

i agree, this is where they need to go... to xc and split the voyagers 50/50 between fgw and northen

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 10:44:30 »

also just noticed from link provided

ohhh so they are not mdf with fabric on oh thats a shame better not have those ... people may relax on the long journey
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 13:46:58 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) to replace their FLEET with 82 Mark 3s?

That doesn't sound right, let me see...

220001-034  132 vehicles
221119-141  115 vehicles

247 vehicles total...  Huh

Paul
willc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 14:40:51 »

And what exactly do you propose should propel these trains on 125mph XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services?

It's not going to be the Class 67, because it has never run at more than 110mph apart from in early trials. And how many could DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) Schenker spare anyway? Allowing for those on long leases with W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)) and Scotrail, maintenance, charters and any other loco-haulage hire contracts, you would probably do well to get a dozen to pull Irish Mk3s around, which is hardly going to meet XC's needs. IE are only offering two thirds of their fleet anyway (130 or so were built) which suggests the best ones (and the five push-pull driving cars) are being retained in case they and NIR beef up the Dublin-Belfast service.

Apart from the bogies and new interiors, they are likely to need rewiring - IE used generator cars, not locos, to provide power to the stock. They may well be a fix for part of the rolling stock shortage this side of the Irish Sea, but it won't be quick - look how long some of the recent heavy overhauls of Mk3s have taken - and it certainly won't be cheap. Not something either operators or the Government want to hear just now.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 21:25:26 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) to replace their FLEET with 82 Mark 3s?

That doesn't sound right, let me see...

220001-034  132 vehicles
221119-141  115 vehicles

247 vehicles total...  Huh

Paul
I believe that the original Virgin proposal for a new fleet of trains on XC involved a mix of voyagers and new loco hauled stock.Keep some of the voyagers for the shorter haul routes ie Bristol/Manchester and use loco hauled on the long haul routes as the XC HSTs (High Speed Train) are now.Agree that sourcing the necessary traction now would be the main stumbling block but what was Virgin going to originally use to haul its proposed loco hauled services.Operating rammed 4 car voyagers from Scotland to the southwest is a joke to say the least.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 21:57:54 »

i personally believe that going along at 90 and having a seat is better than standing up at 125
willc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 01:28:03 »

Unfortunately, where XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services are sharing tracks with 125mph WCML (West Coast Main Line) and ECML (East Coast Main Line) expresses, pottering along at 90mph isn't an option any more for pathing reasons, never mind the sections of the Bristol-Birmingham-Derby axis that were upgraded to speeds up to 125mph to take advantage of the Voyagers' performance.

And if XC was that bothered about people having seats then it could work its HSTs (High Speed Train) a bit harder.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 12:32:15 »

And what exactly do you propose should propel these trains on 125mph XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services?

http://www.csre.co.uk/intercity.html  brand new Mk III compatible power cars for less than ^2M which by recent standards is a bargain.  And in a decade or so when the Irish stock is getting old and the country can afford them, replace the coaches with Polaris new coaches
willc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 23:44:03 »

But these Chinese trains have been hawked around for a number of years now (since Grand Central was being formed, I think) and not one has yet appeared. And I can't see DafT rushing to embrace them just now.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 07:57:30 »

But these Chinese trains have been hawked around for a number of years now (since Grand Central was being formed, I think) and not one has yet appeared. And I can't see DafT rushing to embrace them just now.
And they will need type testing, just because they are being promoted as an HST (High Speed Train) replacement does not mean they conform to NR» (Network Rail - home page) and DfT» (Department for Transport - about) requirements, testing is not a quick process especially for speeds above 75mph

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 09:19:45 »

I take both those points about the Chinese trains.  But the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have recently met with manufacturers which suggests that they may be considering them.

They do seem to be less technically complex than other modern trains and certainly simpler than the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.).  This might speed up manufacture and testing.  (Huh) And the phased introduction of locos then coaches does seem to  be a sensible way of replacing life-expired stock without breaking the bank.

They also seem to be cheap (about half what the pendolinos cost).  I for one think it would be good for a new company to enter the rolling stock marker.  The Chinese are desperate to enter the European market.  If we ordered trans from them first then they might set up an essembly factory in the UK (United Kingdom) rather than elsewhere in Europe which would be good for the UK.

I know that Grand Central has looked at the Polaris before and I wouldn't be surprised if an open access company placed the first order (nor would I be surprises if one of those companies got their hands on the Irish Mark IIIs).  I would argue that the open access companies have much more of a focus on value for money and customer comfort than NR» (Network Rail - home page), DfT or the TOCs (Train Operating Company) have, and the Polaris traisn would seem to score well on both fronts.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 09:47:30 »

Another thing possibly in favour of the IE coaches is that  I believe they have power operated doors like the Wessex units.

The Mark 3 is a very tough  body shell Southall and Ladbroke Grove proved that so it seems a pity to waste them.

Pity we don't have many suitable locos to pull them. But then again a 125mph diesel loco to pull them under the wires seems a bit of a waste. Why not a loco change? After all apart from the GWML (Great Western Main Line) there is little other non electrified 125 track in the UK (United Kingdom).

Then again do we have any 125 electric locos?

Perhaps use them on the MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) with 57s. Release the Meridians to XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)). and ECML (East Coast Main Line) private operators.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 10:06:55 »

Not a bad idea.  I asume that the MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) linespeed is matched for the 57's top speed.

Moving stock round also causes depot problems.  The Voyagers have a home depot at Central Rivers which is not handly if the voyagers were sent to the SW.  A new depot would liekly need to be built.  Certainly existing depot staff might be on a sharp learning curve.

But giving XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) a few extra meridians to suplement their voyagers might work.   
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: