Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 20:08:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[94] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[83] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[73] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[49] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Weymouth - summer weekend loco-hauled services - 2010  (Read 25371 times)
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 20:13:24 »

Looking at the timings on this year's summer timetable it doesn't seem to be any different to last year - there's no obvious loco hauled service on weekdays while the 0909 from Brizzle and 1655 from Weymouth are clearly timed differently.

There seems to be an extra down train on Saturdays though (ignoring the loco hauled service) - after a pattern through the day of '1 in, 1 out' into Weymouth, there's a 1909 and 2008 arrival before the 2021 out of Weymouth. As there's a 2309 arrival in at the end of the night, presumably those 2 services double up. This makes 9 down, 8 up in summer and 8 down, 7 up in winter.
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 16:20:12 »

Does anyone know if the Class 67's were used on the 0909 Bristol-Weymouth and 1655 Weymouth-Bristol today?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 16:22:53 »

First Saturday of new TT is next week!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 15:50:25 »

Anyone aware of what stock is being used from this Saturday (29/05) on the 0909 ex BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 17:44:39 »

With the forecast for Saturday looking pretty awful there should be plenty of seats for those wishing to bash this train.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 23:30:16 »

any one know what is being used, on another forum i'm registered (a ferries forum) a thread has turned to discussion about loco hauled routes, i commented about the weymouth saturday services and a reply was that it is being operated this year by a shortened 4 or 5 carriage HST (High Speed Train), anyone know if this is true?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 06:06:26 »

Last Saturday 5/6 it was operated by one class 67 loco and four coaches which makes sense rather than dragging a 'dead' loco all the way down to Weymouth where there is a turn around layout.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 08:23:58 »

Should be one of the class 67's and the stock that is used on the Cardiff - Taunton - Painton Diagram on weekdays.
James158

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 15:49:31 »

Hi

I am a new member of FGW (First Great Western) Coffee Shop. I thought you might like to know that FGW has laid on an extra summer Saturday service to Weymouth. This service is loco hauled and is formed of 5 coaches. Departs Bristol Temple Meads at 0909 and arrives Weymouth 1142. Calls at every station apart from Freshford, Avoncliff, Bruton, Thornford, Yetminster, Chetnole and Upwey. On return this train departs Weymouth at 1655 calling at the same stations as en route and arrives Bristol Temple Meads 1927. This train has more seats than the standard class 150 or 158 and has lovely comfy seats in a table formation in every coach.

This extra loco hauled service runs every Saturday until 5th September 2010 and will cost you the same price as a normal train ticket to Weymouth.

Me and my mum will be on it tomorrow but we will return on the 2021 as we think it leaves Weymouth too early. It should leave at 2021 instead of the class 158 that always does the 2021.

Thanks
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 15:53:37 »

Welcome along James158, and thanks for the post. I've merged it into the thread that we already have discussing the loco-hauled services to Weymouth  Smiley
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 16:41:00 »

Just a few correction, it has 4 coaches, and interestingly with the blue brake coach this only provides 224 seats, which is less than the equivalent 150 or 158 in 4 car formation. There is also the problem that a lot of the air con on the set is duff, so it might be quite warm in all coaches other than the TSO (The Stationary Office (now OPSI)).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 08:45:43 »

Saturday, 31st July 2010 ...

-

-

-

-

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 16:10:56 »

Nice pictures Graham! That silver-liveried 67 looks quite good with the blue and grey mark 2s. Just a bit of a shame that DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) Schenker couldn't rustle up 37425 (in matching BR (British Rail(ways)) livery) to haul that service again!
john new

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 18:03:52 »

On Saturday 31st July amongst those at the lineside watching the Class 67 arrive at Weymouth was a person stating that although the train will continue to run as advertised sufficient numbers of the extra transferred in 15* units are now available with the outcome being the SO 9:09 train from Bristol and the return diagram from Weymouth will run but with  a unit formation and not the loco + 4 set.

Is anyone able to give a definitive answer as to whether this rumour has substance, i.e. is true, or is just a false rumour?

John

New poster to the group.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 19:23:49 »

Welcome to the Forum john new!  Cheesy

Would be a shame to see the end of the Weymouth loco hauled, but I'd hazard a guess it's far cheaper to use units if they are available. Although FGW (First Great Western) may lose a fair bit of revenue from the rail enthusiast community.

The rumours about the end of loco hauled on the summer SO tend to gather pace as the 1st week of September approaches every year.

Can't answer your question directly, but there are a few FGW 'insiders' on this forum who may know more than just rumour.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: