Delayed
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 09:06:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[88] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[73] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[54] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[47] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[27] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturday 11th September  (Read 15170 times)
johoare

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2010, 23:42:16 »

I'm just posting this in advance.. I know Muse are playing Wembley Stadium on Saturday night (as I'm going).. I know last time I saw Muse play there and there was also a concert in Hyde Park on the same night, the trains out of Paddington to Maidenhead were so full I couldn't get on the first one.. And some people didn't get on the second one either.. I'm sure I posted that here at the time.. And if I wasn't so tired/lazy.. I'd look for it... Grin

Well it appears there is a Hyde Park Concert this Saturday night too.. So I'm sure there will be no extra trains.. I will have 3 16 year olds with me... Last time the train home (once I got on one) made me feel very ill.. I'm kind of dreading it..

I'm hoping FGW (First Great Western) have done some sort of better planning this time? But don't hold out much hope...
willc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 00:24:16 »

Well, they may have a plan but whether they will actually share it with anyone is another matter entirely, like the non-existent publicity for some fairly sensible alterations made for the Big Chill festival in Herefordshire last month (or when Oxford United played at Wembley in May). You would like to think they would have 3+3 Turbo formations or the odd extra HST (High Speed Train) out there late on Saturday but you'll probably only find out on the night. Meanwhile Chiltern are busy letting anyone who wants to know that they're running a special timetable for the Muse concerts at Wembley...
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 00:28:31 »

Well last time I checked Chiltern (because it's not impossible for me to get home somehow from High Wycombe via Wembley station (the wembley Stadium station i think)).. the timetable out of London was rubbish for Saturday night.. Has it changed in the last day or so?
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 00:37:50 »

Ok... From what I can see (on the chiltern railways site), they are running extra trains to the concert.. Does anyone know if they are running extra trains to get people home afterwards?

To be honest we all have all day to get there.. Leaving at 11pm.. on a Saturday night service.. I think it's more important we know if we'll get home or not. I might be missing something tho.. Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 00:43:41 »

OK I've finally found some trains.. They weren't on NR» (Network Rail - home page) planner the other day.. Will check tomorrow (too tired now) to see if they are on there now..

but 23.07 to 23.44 (High Wycombe)
23.22 to 00.01 (High Wycombe)
23.32 to 00.07 (HW)

which are probably the trains I;d get to avoid the nasty full ones out of Paddington.. As long as they won't be nasty full ones....
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 00:46:23 »

One of the issues of doing extra trains for events such as Muse (which I am going to on the Friday) is that FGW (First Great Western) can't guarantee they will actually get used.

Chiltern know that whenever an event is on they will get used no matter what for the obvious reason that they serve Wembley Stadium.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 01:08:59 »

I'm sure the concert will be 'bliss' and leave you 'feeling good'. Weather is overcast on Saturday so 'sunburn' shouldn't be an issue. Trains maybe busy but I doubt there'll be 'hysteria'.

I thank you.  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 01:11:23 »

In the time-honoured manner: "Your coat, sir?"  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 02:39:07 »

If you can work "plug-in baby" into that paragraph I will be exceedingly impressed...  Lips sealed

Saw them play in Philadelphia in March and (to use the local vernacular) they were awesome -  you'll have a great time.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 17:51:05 »

One of the issues of doing extra trains for events such as Muse (which I am going to on the Friday) is that FGW (First Great Western) can't guarantee they will actually get used.

But if Jo observed a very large passenger flow the last time this conjunction of events occurred, surely someone within FGW might also have done so, or noted a spike in ticket sales on the day in question and explored the likely reasons for it so you can be ready to maximise revenue when similar circumstances occur in future. Let's face it, there are always likely to be large flows of passengers throughout London when there are large-capacity events - Wembley concert capacity is 75,000 and Hyde Park is 45,000 or so, many of whom will likely be travelling from areas served by FGW. Trains out of Paddington on a Saturday evening aren't exactly quiet (in every sense) the rest of the time, are they?

A pdf of the full Chiltern timetable for Saturday, including extra trains, extra stops by other services at Wembley and Marylebone-Wembley shuttles before and after the concert is online at the changes to train times page at their website.
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 17:59:07 »

I just doubt there would be a business case to plan in advance, I'd guess it's monitored and they may do what has been done in the past and get an additional if required.

No doubt if there is that much concern about it fire of an email to customer services to forward it on =]
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 17:59:51 »

I think I might have e-mailed FGW (First Great Western) after the last time so I am SURE they know exactly how busy it's going to be Saturday evening.. I'm just hoping they will do something about it..
Fish

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 23:02:34 »

Unfortunately, due to the engineering works associated with the Remodelling of Reading, all lines are closed overnight Sat thru Sun almost every weekend.  As a result, NR» (Network Rail - home page) will not release any more paths for extra trains along the line.  I dare say there could be a possible case to run extras to Maidenhead, but certainly nothing beyond.  The last train from Reading on the Saturday night of the Rock Festival was 0003 when the music stopped at midnight.  FGW (First Great Western) tried all avenues to get extra trains, but were denied because of the engineering works scheduled (though extra trains were able to run on Sunday night which was also very busy).
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 23:28:40 »

If FGW (First Great Western) don't put on the trains, there will be an "uprising".
willc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 11:15:10 »

Even if you can't run extras, you can at the very least add extra coaches on the trains that are allowed to run out to Reading (Chiltern add coaches to their services as well as running Wembley extras) - it's not as if there aren't spare FGW (First Great Western) Turbos at weekends - or even use an HST (High Speed Train) instead to provide the added capacity which Jo is suggesting is needed.

It may well be the case that FGW does plan to do something along these lines this weekend, but why is it that they never seem to want to tell people about these arrangements when they do make them, which might encourage more people to use their trains and bring in even more money?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: