1st May (1971)
Amtrak founded (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 00:40:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturday 11th September  (Read 15164 times)
hornbeam

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 12:17:05 »

FGW (First Great Western) and the word plan.... don^t go together from what I^ve seen. Then nor does FGW and clean, maintained, polite, and helpful go together from what I^ve seen. As you can tell had another poor service from them today.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 18:41:42 »

I've just discovered that on Saturday 18th September some 80,000 people are expected to attend a Prayer Vigil in Hyde Park at which Pope Benedict XVI will be present as part of his UK (United Kingdom) visit. It says here:

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/papal-visit/itinerary/london.aspx

Travel to Hyde Park vigil

Pilgrims are advised to use public transport as far as possible. Owing to the likely congestion and extensive road closures, Pilgrims should not attempt to travel into Central London by car, taxi or coach.

So is FGW (First Great Western) prepared?  Huh
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 20:26:40 »

You might have "just discovered" this, but it isn't a big secret Wink Given the enormous publicity surrounding the papal visit to the UK (United Kingdom), I suspect FGW (First Great Western) are aware of it, at the very least.
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 21:33:38 »

You might have "just discovered" this, but it isn't a big secret Wink Given the enormous publicity surrounding the papal visit to the UK (United Kingdom), I suspect FGW (First Great Western) are aware of it, at the very least.
Yep - GroupSave is barred Tongue
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 22:17:10 »

Good to see FGW (First Great Western) screwing as much money/ discouraging those pesky passengers. A lot easier than running extra/longer trains and actually running booked HSTs (High Speed Train)!
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 22:30:36 »

Good to see FGW (First Great Western) screwing as much money/ discouraging those pesky passengers. A lot easier than running extra/longer trains and actually running booked HSTs (High Speed Train)!
If it makes you any happier it's only for those travelling for "All stations Reading to London Paddington inclusive. Also includes One Day Travelcards" from: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/groupsave_calendar.html
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 00:23:59 »

If it makes you any happier it's only for those travelling for "All stations Reading to London Paddington inclusive. Also includes One Day Travelcards" from: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/groupsave_calendar.html

That makes it better, but the whole "Groupsave" calendar seems to me to be unfair, as well as making the discount complicated. Every time I wish to use Groupsave, I have to check the calendar - not good.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 00:30:51 »

It appears that not only do you have to check the calendar, but you also need to decide whether you are a 'Pilgrim'.

As I'm Agnostic can I still get a GroupSave?  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 02:54:12 »

That makes it better, but the whole "Groupsave" calendar seems to me to be unfair, as well as making the discount complicated. Every time I wish to use Groupsave, I have to check the calendar - not good.

You could organize some kind of roster system where by your two or three travelling companions take it in turns to do the checking. But unfair of them to expect you to organize everything Wink

As I'm Agnostic can I still get a GroupSave?  Grin

I reckon I have a stronger case as an atheist (although not, I hope, one of the bumptious and rather noisy Richard Dawkins stable) Grin

Getting back to something like the serious topic though, 80,000 people doesn't seem like it will necessarily have a vast impact on FGW (First Great Western)'s operation. They'll have come from all over the country, with many from or staying in the big smoke itself.

80,000 is less than a full Wembley (cap. 90,000) and more akin to a Millennium stadium (cap. 74,500) which even when two London teams were playing in Cardiff didn't make things impossible. Uncomfortably busy perhaps (with my usual impeccable timing I always seemed to have plans to travel to Bristol or Wales on those weekends) but that was with a significant percentage of people heading to the game using FGW which took them right from home to their destination. The pope's fans will be coming from a hugely more diffuse catchment area.

Of course I stand to be corrected should chaos reign on the day. But something tells me it probably won't.
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 02:44:34 »

Okay well Muse were amazing - train was packed. (00:34 from Paddington - Reading) I got off at Twyford, and it was still fairly busy.

Ideally the train could do with an extra couple of carriages (was only a 3 car). But if it doesn't then people on the train need to be more considerate and actually do the decent thing and move further into the train, which they didn't seem to like doing on mine as they had picked the spot they liked and needed to be asked more than once to shift!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 10:02:54 »

Thanks for that Ollie.. It makes me cross FGW (First Great Western) didn't put extra carriages on the train though..  Angry

I think there are slightly more trains on a Saturday night (or different timed trains at least) but I'm still dreading the journey home. Last time it was so overcrowded it made me feel ill :-( (and I'm a seasoned commuter so I can deal with most things)..

Oh well at least Muse will be brilliant  Grin
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 23:24:11 »

Well I sent off an e-mail to the senior controller letting them know of the experiences of last night - although I am aware it was reported anyway - as it wasn't just my train that went out overcrowded.

Looks like tonight services are being strengthened. But I don't have proper confirmation in the sense that the carriages are being used in passenger service. All based on the observations of an internal system which shows what a trains formation is due to be.

From what I can gather:

23:20 - Reading local is 5 car instead of 2
23:42 - Reading local is 5 car instead of 3
00:05 - Reading local is 5 car instead of 3
00:30 - Reading local is 6 car instead of 3
01:00 - LAST Reading local is 6 as booked.

Addition: Would just like to stress that this is NOT CONFIRMED. (confirmed in the sense of any fanfare from FGW (First Great Western)..maybe FGW alterations section only shows short formed trains)

Addition 2: Confirmed by a colleague to be accurate Smiley
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 00:16:38 by Ollie » Logged
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 23:32:41 »

As an update - I have asked Jo to check when she gets to Paddington Tongue
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 23:39:33 »

Again: thanks, Ollie!  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 23:43:06 »

Again: thanks, Ollie!  Wink
No problem - I have edited post to add a small disclaimer Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: