17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 18:59:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[91] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please make yourself known - today :D  (Read 4695 times)
bigdaz
« on: July 28, 2010, 07:58:09 »

I must say how much I have learnt and how much I have enjoyed being part of this rail forum!  Everyone on here seems to be so friendly.

So with that in mind, I thought I would say that I shall be travelling on 1C09 between RDG(resolve) and BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains) and then on 1F11 BTH - WMN» (Warminster - next trains) today in 1st class with my other half.

If you are a member of this forum and see me (wearing blue shirt chequered shirt) please say hello.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 04:58:28 »

Afraid I'm stuck in the US, so the chances of bumping into you on a train any time soon are slight... But thanks for the kind comments, and hope you had a good journey!  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 21:20:32 »

I must say how much I have learnt and how much I have enjoyed being part of this rail forum!  Everyone on here seems to be so friendly.

Thanks - and I hope you continue to enjoy it.  I've made some very good friends and learned a very great deal, too; only today, I was on a train and bumped into someone who I wouldn't have met had I not got involve in some of this stuff ... and we had a fruitful chinway as the miles roled by. It's not the first time it's happened, either!  Yet for the most part, I could pass you on the platform, you could sit next to me in the train and we wouldn't know.

We're a tiny, tiny proportion of FGW (First Great Western) passengers. I feel very humble about that when I think about it and I sometimes ask myself "do we bat above our proportion".  Perhaps we do - but the perhaps someone needs to.  When I was a student, I commuted by train. I trusted the folks who looked after trains - in "British Rail" as it was in those days - to know what they were about and to do their best for the passenger. That's how many people still think ... that the wide range of organisations from the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) through FGW, SWT (South West Trains), NR» (Network Rail - home page), ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about), PF (Penalty Fare), EWS (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom))), WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority)), Angel, Porterbook, TfL» (Transport for London - about), know best ... and perhaps they do know best , save for the fact that their goals are likely to be clouded by other objectives that doing their very best for passenger provision.   I can tell you how shifting a train here, rejigging a timetable there, will increase passenger miles and overall railway revenue - but at the expense of one company loosing money to its competitor, or getting a reduced subsidy that it can no longer use to bolster its balance sheet.  And on this campaigning side it's important that now - of all times - we continue to bat.

* There's a squeeze on funding ... and balance sheet goals will be much more to the fore than passenger performanec goals.

* The passenger watchdog - of whom I've been somewhat critical in the past with regard to its limited role - is being reparented and I don't thing anyone's yet sure whether this will limit its role further.

* Changes in local govenment, sweeping abolition of quangos and new (fewer, smaller, leaner?) replacements mean there's both risks and opportunities.  NDAs (Non-Disclosure Agreement) out, LEPs» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) in, and what does that mean for changing rail services for the future?

* And there's a major revision proposed for franchising - again enormous opportunity, but opportunity on one hand to say "yes - double or tripple the length to give a chance for investment" and on the other hand the opportunity to loose socially supporting services that don't make a direct profit into a hole between "let's pass the responsibility out to the local areas" and a failure to fund the loacl areas so that they cabn take it on.

Goodness - Bigdaz - you probably look at this and you think "yikes - what has hit me".    Sorry about that - but I actually care for the people who travel - or want to travel - in my own neck of the woods.  I have a full time job in a quite different industry and so do most people and that makes it especially hard to say, at these times "look at the people who want the service".  You might be quite shocked about how little is know about the travel habits of - well - I'll use my home town as an example.  How do they travel, how would that change if you change the system that's on offer ... or the pricing model ... or if you change the economic and leisure elements that will amend the desire or need to travel?  And without those customer projections, it's hard to know what's right for the future.

I would love to bump into you on the train one day.   You would have found me, my wife, my father, and the dog out today - the dog has a passion for stations from where whe can get good walks, I have a passion for using my local station or doing a bus transfer rather than having to start with a long car journey, and I have a need to get to specific business destinations.   But I can promise you that I'll be far less intense in person, and I'll be out there admiring the smooth current services that I see most of the time, and being thankful for the professional team that all the companies concerned have out there on the ground - they do a great job and we don't thank them enough.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: