11:07 London Paddington to Newbury
13:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
15:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 10:48:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[107] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[84] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[83] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[68] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[44] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[26] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Two signs I've oft wondered what they mean.....  (Read 7074 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: September 12, 2010, 16:47:13 »

On the north bound platform at oxford there is a sign that says "Cotswolds Train please switch on GSM"

The vomiter I was on today was positioned appropriately for me to see an equivalent "Cotswolds Train please turn on CSR (Cab Secure Radio)"

Can the panel explain?

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 17:01:44 »

From our acronyms and abbreviations page:

CSR (Cab Secure Radio) ... Cab Secure Radio

I'll add GSM when / if someone provides an answer.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 17:08:36 »

GSM was the old mobile standard before 3G but no idea if its connected

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 17:10:14 »

Agreed - hence my comment!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 17:17:19 »

Turning on your GSM mobile phone I don't think would work for the cotswolds for two reasons:

1. with modern networks I'm not sure GSM actually works anymore

2. The costwolds has so little mobile signal between oxford and worcester and then worcester and hereford that it a mobile is often as much use as a brick

bigdaz
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 17:20:22 »

I think this is the greatest feat of modern engineering personally - be it HST (High Speed Train) or turbo.... the following facts are incredible:

1) that the train can read the sign

2) that is knows which buttons to press

Clearly designed by a man, hey, Mookimoo  Wink  Cheesy  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 17:36:05 »

These two Wikipedia entries may go some way to explaining:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM-R

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cab_Secure_Radio

Maybe GSM-R is operational on the Cotswolds Line already.

GSM is still used by most mobile devices for voice calls, with UMTS (3G) for video calls and data and HSDPA (sometimes referred to as 3G+, 3G Turbo or 3.5G) for higher data transfer speeds.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 17:38:42 »

ok - well these are signs on posts at oxford station

Was just the positioning of carriage A on the vomiter that made me notice the CSR (Cab Secure Radio) one

coachflyer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 22:55:53 »

The GSM on these signs is a simple mobile phone that has been fitted to the turbos to allow them to operate on lines that are not covered by the cab secure radio (CSR (Cab Secure Radio)). This allows the Network Rail control centre to sent simple STOP messages to the driver or the driver to contact the controller in emergency only. 
When this system is in operation a Guard must be provided when in passenger operation.

When in the CSR area the radio is liked to the DSD (Driver's Safety Device) (dead mans handle) so that if something happens to the driver then the signal box in charge of the area that the train is in is automatically informed and allows the signaller to use the trains pa system to talk directly to the passengers.

The signs on the platforms are there to remind the driver to change the system over when they come to a stand.

Found at both Oxford for the Cotswolds and at Didcot when the turbos went to Bristol.

GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) is the new standard that is being rolled out across the uk. It is based on cell phones but is a secure network that is for railway use only. New masts are slowly being put up next to all running lines to allow continuous coverage. I think it is due to come into use in our area in 2012.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 23:19:49 »

Thanks very much for that detailed information, coachflyer!  Smiley

gwr2006

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 18:22:48 »

The signs were installed at Oxford and Didcot Parkway stations in November 2001 in connection with trials of GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) on the North Cotswolds, and indicate the point where Class 165/166 trains changeover CSR (Cab Secure Radio) and GSM-R.  Only Turbos had GSM-R handsets fitted on the control panel to the left of the driver.

GSM-R is a secure digital network that is being rolled out across the UK (United Kingdom) by 2012. Lots of new transmitters are appearing alongside the railway (there is one at Radley, south of Oxford, for example).

At Oxford, signs on platform 2 advise drivers of northbound Cotswold Line services to switch on GSM, and on platform 1 CSR in the case of southbound services. Signs were installed at the west end of platforms 3 and 4 at Didcot Parkway where Turbo services to Bristol changed direction.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 18:57:40 »

Found at both Oxford for the Cotswolds and at Didcot when the turbos went to Bristol.

So does that mean that, although there was always a guard on board the Bristol - Oxford turbos, formally they were operated "driver only" between Oxford and Didcot, and "driver guard" for the rest of the route...?
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 19:01:48 »

The signs were installed at Oxford and Didcot Parkway stations in November 2001 in connection with trials of GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) on the North Cotswolds, and indicate the point where Class 165/166 trains changeover CSR (Cab Secure Radio) and GSM-R.  Only Turbos had GSM-R handsets fitted on the control panel to the left of the driver.

Not strictly correct, as originally the 'trial' (actually pretty much an enforced safety demand if I remember correctly following recommendations from a collision in Cowden, Kent in 1994 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowden_rail_crash) involved drivers receiving a pager pack (basically a pager and a mobile phone) when they were driving the Cotswold Line or services to Bristol (from Didcot onwards) and Stratford-Upon-Avon (from Banbury onwards).  This continued for several months before the trains were equipped with handsets and signs were installed at Didcot, Oxford and Banbury as a reminder to the driver to change system.  They are basically public mobile phones, so incoming calls/texts from outside sources are not unheard of!  The handset is actually to the right of the driver, located where a troublesome former emergency stop plunger was located.

Quote from: inspector_blakey
So does that mean that, although there was always a guard on board the Bristol - Oxford turbos, formally they were operated "driver only" between Oxford and Didcot, and "driver guard" for the rest of the route...?

The were not usually operated as Driver Only services, but in the event of no 'guard' being available, it was permitted to run them DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) as far as Didcot if necessary.

Edited to reattribute the quote to me and not coachflyer Wink
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 19:16:17 by inspector_blakey » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 19:52:41 »

All this is very entertaining but clearly not the real reason.

The "Switch On GSM" sign at Oxford relates to the Go Slow Motor fitted to all trains operating Cotswold services. When trains promising 'High Speed' or even 'Turbo' operation were first introduced to the line, users were concerned that the essential nature of the Cotswold service could be compromised. As a result, a Go Slow Motor was fitted to ensure slower running. If, despite this, a train is making good progress, the GSM's emergency mode will kick in at certain predefined points (e.g. Evesham and Ascott) to delay the train by an arbitrary amount.

GSM is not fitted to all stock that can operate on the Cotswold line. For example, the Class 180 'Andante' trains are capable of delaying themselves by such expedients as catching fire, doors jamming open/shut, etc. etc. Consequently no assistance is required from the GSM.

I hope that's cleared it up.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 20:54:29 »

All this is very entertaining but clearly not the real reason.

The "Switch On GSM" sign at Oxford relates to the Go Slow Motor fitted to all trains operating Cotswold services. When trains promising 'High Speed' or even 'Turbo' operation were first introduced to the line, users were concerned that the essential nature of the Cotswold service could be compromised. As a result, a Go Slow Motor was fitted to ensure slower running. If, despite this, a train is making good progress, the GSM's emergency mode will kick in at certain predefined points (e.g. Evesham and Ascott) to delay the train by an arbitrary amount.

GSM is not fitted to all stock that can operate on the Cotswold line. For example, the Class 180 'Andante' trains are capable of delaying themselves by such expedients as catching fire, doors jamming open/shut, etc. etc. Consequently no assistance is required from the GSM.

I hope that's cleared it up.
Grin Cheesy Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: