07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 08:00:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 17:39 Penzance - Paddington  (Read 4838 times)
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2010, 18:43:57 »

The new timetable has now been uploaded to the jounrey planners and it seems that the 17:39 service from Penzance to Paddington is to be withdrawn.  The result of this is that the last direct train to London will be 16:00 from Penzance and 18:00 from Plymouth.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 19:00:27 »

I would not trust the journey planners.  This train has been around for a long time and is probably a franchise requirement.  Check again in a few days.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 19:07:01 »

I think they are still loading Information. I was checking the New time tables yesterday on the St Erth-St Ives line the First train to St Ives was shown as from Penzance but NOT stopping as St Erth.

Also the Last Train to St Ives had no return working (running Empty Stock?),

But today both of these had been corrected
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 19:13:29 »

I suspect data loads such as required for the time table will take days

Lets assume that whatever National rail do is worse than anything in the provate sector - in the SAP world, for example, a materials upload for a large company can take a whole weekend

With all the interconnections, complications, fares etc - can imagine the data loads take forever

In fact, thinking of it, that is another argument for fare simplification

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 21:28:18 »

The volume of data isn't all that great. I've got the RailPlanner software on my laptop, and the timetable data occupies 4.5MB. That's reliable for weekday travel but not for weekend travel, all of which is different. That probably menas you're looking at 45-90MB to cover the weekends "properly".

What really takes the time is getting it right.

Lets assume that whatever National rail do is worse than anything in the provate sector - in the SAP world, for example, a materials upload for a large company can take a whole weekend

Pardon my ignorance - what's SAP?
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 21:39:13 »

It could be anything Tongue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAP
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 21:57:57 »

Could be anything but this is what I do

http://www.sap.com/solutions/index.epx

And I know how long the data loads take into a bog standard oracle database

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 22:37:56 »

FGW (First Great Western)'s planner has happily responded to queries for the 13th of Dec for about 10 days now though, presumably it must bear some resemblance to reality? 

But in any event, changes are usually still being made for a good few weeks after this.  A fairly good sign that the new TT is formalised is when Advance fares start showing up as well as times, IMX...
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 07:25:25 »

I just went on national rail.co.uk and it wont let me look for any trains after 11 Dec so would seem to suggest they have not been all uploaded yet.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 10:21:04 »

They certainly won't get rid of that. It serves as a (first class) taxi service to Bristol for many staff...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 10:31:44 »

Penzance to Paddington via Bristol is specifically mentioned in the Franchise Agreement Service Level Commitment:

A3 LONDON PADDINGTON ^ BRISTOL TEMPLE MEADS ^ WESTON-SUPER-MARE.
<snip>
 3 Limited Stops
  <snip>
   3.13 Penzance
      (a) On Mondays to Fridays and Saturdays, one service from London
            Paddington, arriving in Penzance before 1330, shall call.
      (b) On Mondays to Fridays and Saturdays, two services to London
            Paddington shall call, one of which shall depart Penzance after 1715.
      (c) On Sundays, one service from London Paddington arriving in
           Penzance before 1415 shall call.

So a service after 1715 from PNZ-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) is indeed a franchise commitment.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 11:26:57 »

Penzance to Paddington via Bristol is specifically mentioned in the Franchise Agreement Service Level Commitment:

A3 LONDON PADDINGTON ^ BRISTOL TEMPLE MEADS ^ WESTON-SUPER-MARE.
<snip>
 3 Limited Stops
  <snip>
   3.13 Penzance
      (a) On Mondays to Fridays and Saturdays, one service from London
            Paddington, arriving in Penzance before 1330, shall call.
      (b) On Mondays to Fridays and Saturdays, two services to London
            Paddington shall call, one of which shall depart Penzance after 1715.
      (c) On Sundays, one service from London Paddington arriving in
           Penzance before 1415 shall call.
Why one down train Mon-Sat but two up ones, I wonder?
And why one down one on Sundays but no up one?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 16:05:09 »

I just went on national rail.co.uk and it wont let me look for any trains after 11 Dec so would seem to suggest they have not been all uploaded yet.

That has always been the case for the last 5 or 6 timetable changes that I've been checking. National Rail is never early, but a few TOCs (Train Operating Company) (usually FGW (First Great Western) and SN that I know of) have stuff loaded 10 days or so previously.

You'd think (or hope?) they are all using the same underlying database, so I expect NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) just switch off access until exactly T-12...

Paul
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 16:15:05 »

Why one down train Mon-Sat but two up ones, I wonder?

Rural depopulation?  Grin  I think I did that in Geography in about 1968...

Paul
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 16:22:52 »

Regards no 'up's on a Sunday. There are a number of West Country services that run via Bristol starting at Plymouth and Paignton.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: