29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 03:02:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Booking window for advance tickets esp sleeper  (Read 25447 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: September 23, 2010, 14:09:30 »

According to this

http://www.thetrainline.com/ticketalert/

FGW (First Great Western) are booking up to the 17th - which is getting preciously close to my 19th journey

But it seemed a bit too soon so I went to see if there were any sleeper tickets released for the 12th - and there aren't

hmmm - confused.com

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 14:16:16 »

FGW (First Great Western)'s own website says you can book up to 8th December
(On the FGW homepage, bottom right of the six boxes below the Flash advert)
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 21:39:19 »

And ATOCs» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) own website says up to 8th December.

http://www.atoctravelagents.org/clientfiles/File/Booking%20Horizons/TOC%20Booking%20Horizons%2017092010.htm

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 21:58:01 »

Now it says 8th december but the ticket booker thing allows you to get to entering your contact details etc etc before giveing this as an error when you click on continue

We have been unable to successfully validate your journey for the following reason:
E00202
No inventory found with Retail Service ID GW1276 on 19/12/2010

Try booking the sleeper for 19th December - you get half way through before it bombs out

Use XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and you get nada - nothing available
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 22:04:17 by Mookiemoo » Logged

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 22:06:53 »

The FGW (First Great Western) 'booking horizon' has indeed been stuck on 8th December for over a week now. As to why, who knows, but it may be related to the Reading blockade later in December.

Maybe worth giving FGW Customer Services a call regarding Sleeper bookings for the 19th to see if they can give you some idea of when Advance Purchase berths are going to become available for booking.

As to other TOCs (Train Operating Company) websites, you won't be able to book the Sleeper at all with them. Night Riviera Sleeper reservations are only available through FGW's website.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 22:08:34 »

I'll call them tomorrow!

SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 23:02:42 »

http://www.atoctravelagents.org/ (and click on booking horizons at bottom) still says 8th December

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 23:10:05 »

http://www.atoctravelagents.org/ (and click on booking horizons at bottom) still says 8th December

YES I KNOW THAT

But since 8th hadnt changed for days I tried to book as a what if

the website - FGW (First Great Western) engine - shows the service - says there is a sleeper - lets me choose the ticket, lets me add the berth then when I have to put in contact details gets the above error

Either you can book for the 19th or not - not get half way through then have it error cos someone has not updats all the details in the system

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 11:31:28 »

Think I might find a friendly local manned station and try there

Keep trying and getting people on the other end who sound as if they are from deepest darkest bangalore and have no idea what I'm on about

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 13:39:50 »

Keep trying and getting people on the other end who sound as if they are from deepest darkest bangalore and have no idea what I'm on about
If you need a UK (United Kingdom) based telesales service, then I would recommend South West Trains.  Their call centre is based in Southampton.  Can be contacted on 0845 600 0650 (option 2) or 023 8021 3600.  They can sell any UK rail tickets and should be able to do sleeper bookings too.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 14:24:00 »

Two possibly opposing conflicting suggestions here... just thought I'd mention it

If you need a UK (United Kingdom) based telesales service, then I would recommend South West Trains.  Their call centre is based in Southampton.  Can be contacted on 0845 600 0650 (option 2) or 023 8021 3600.  They can sell any UK rail tickets and should be able to do sleeper bookings too.

As to other TOCs (Train Operating Company) websites, you won't be able to book the Sleeper at all with them. Night Riviera Sleeper reservations are only available through FGW (First Great Western)'s website.

Ahh.... my post was referring to online sales. Should've made that clear. I've no idea about other TOCs telesales and their ability to sell Sleeper tickets.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 16:53:07 by bignosemac » Logged
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 14:25:52 »

All train stations with ticket offices can do sleeper reservations.  Southampton telesales just use Star (same as FGW (First Great Western) ticket offices) so should be able to book pretty much anything you can do at a station.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 16:58:21 by Brucey » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 16:56:47 »

Think I might find a friendly local manned station and try there

Sorry, I should've suggested upthread speaking to FGW (First Great Western) Customer Service (direct 01752 675640) about the booking horizon. Telesales in India are probably worse than useless with anything more complex than a point-to-point fare.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 17:00:30 »

All train stations can do sleeper reservations.  Southampton telesales just use Star (same as FGW (First Great Western) ticket offices) so should be able to book pretty much anything you can do at a station.

Hmmm.....  2 clerks at Bristol Temple Meads were unable to book me a berth on the Caledonian last year using their system. They ended up phoning ScotRail and being talked through the process of booking a berth for someone who already held a ticket to travel.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 17:25:13 »

Hmmm.....  2 clerks at Bristol Temple Meads were unable to book me a berth on the Caledonian last year using their system. They ended up phoning ScotRail and being talked through the process of booking a berth for someone who already held a ticket to travel.
Wouldn't have happened in the days when there were sleeper services from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) going upto Scotland as the staff would have been used to doing sleeper reservations.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: