Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 01:55:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Booking window for advance tickets esp sleeper  (Read 25444 times)
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 18:05:00 »

i should imagine it is to do with the Reading blockade and waiting for validated timings
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2010, 19:25:14 »

i should imagine it is to do with the Reading blockade and waiting for validated timings

People are talking about the period before the blockade, ie from the 8th to the 24th of Dec.  Unless something pretty odd is happening, the weekdays at least should all be running the normal timetable.  As 25th & 26th have no service anyway as normal the first day the timetable should be affected is the 27th...

Paul
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2010, 21:01:54 »

As mentioned its a problem with releasing tickets...MM I will text you when 19th is open.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2010, 21:08:21 »

The question is..... Who's problem?

And why not FGW (First Great Western) put an announcement on their website and why is it only FGW that are affected?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2010, 21:17:11 »

As mentioned its a problem with releasing tickets...MM I will text you when 19th is open.

Thanks - I know you said you would but the fact I'm so stressy over this explains why I havent relaxed over it

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2010, 22:35:00 »

my understanding is that is a problem with the yield management system we use. A brief hasnt even gone out to staff so doubt anything will go on website. Shame really. But as said should get some dates released this week.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2010, 22:37:38 »

Thanks for all your help on this one, Ollie.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2010, 17:43:59 »

Further information I've gleaned from Customer Services.

The Advance Purchase tickets are apparently released in blocks tied to certain dates. As the pre-Christmas dates are in the same block as the post-Christmas dates they have not been released because the train times during the Reading blockade have not been finalised by Network Rail. Until FGW (First Great Western) receive final confirmation of the train times during the blockade they cannot release Advance Purchase or seat reservations for the pre- and post- christmas trains.

I tried Network Rail to see if they'd give information regarding when the confirmed timings will be released, but they just referred me back to FGW! All they would say is that any timings currently in booking engines are provisional only. Timings are official once reservations become available.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2010, 13:12:23 »

11th now, so we getting there Tongue
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2010, 13:53:43 »

Thanks - although with the failure of the sleeper on Monday I'm beginning to get a bit nervous relying on this

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2010, 14:47:10 »

Reservations now open until 23rd Dec

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2010, 16:08:35 »

main page stilll says 11th but I'll give it a whirl

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2010, 16:12:04 »

Seems to be there - now I have another question...

What the difference between the sleeper advance standard solo A for ^74 and the solo B for ^99

I cant see much difference in the blurbs

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2010, 16:21:06 »

Thanks - although with the failure of the sleeper on Monday I'm beginning to get a bit nervous relying on this

I think you are right to be nervous. My view would be to get as close to Heathrow the day before, so you are within easy striking distance.

You could end up stuck 200 miles away.

There is a Holiday Inn Express back of Slough Station and a small Travelodge in the centre of town. Probably be cheaper than sleeper and Heathrow Express. There's also a cheapish hotel not sure which chain at Slough end of Colnbrook Bypass which is even nearer.

You've then got the choice of train change Hayes into Heathrow connect. Hayes and 140 bus, Bus from Slough or taxi.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2010, 16:28:13 »

I've stayed in them numerous times!

The hol inn express at slough - I think I once posted here about getting annoyed the sphincter police on the gateline wouldnt let me through to take the short cut rather than walk round the bridge because I'd left my season on the bed

The hotel at the colnbrook end of the by pass is a comfort inn (or a quality).

I might look into heathrow hotels and save the sleeper for one of my nights in reading before going into the office which is always flexible!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: