Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:06:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[111] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[41] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[39] access for all at Devon stations report
[25] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[20] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Booking window for advance tickets esp sleeper  (Read 25442 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2010, 16:29:01 »

What the difference between the sleeper advance standard solo A for ^74 and the solo B for ^99

I cant see much difference in the blurbs
Just different fare categories (i.e. different prices, like all advance tickets)
Ticket:                      
 Code    -                  SJ
 Class   -            STANDARD
 Name    - STD SLEEPER SOLO  
___________ADVANCE A          
 Sgl/Rtn -              SINGLE
Outward/Return Validity:      
 Day  -         DATE ON TICKET
 Time -         TIME ON TICKET
Break of Journey:           NO
Pre-Book Req:  1800 DAY BEFORE
Reservations Comp:         YES
Discounts:                    
 Child    -                YES
 Railcard -                 NO
 Group    -                 NO
Refunds:  -                 NO

Ticket:                      
 Code    -                  SK
___________ADVANCE B          
Outward/Return Validity:      
Discounts:                    

Ticket:                      
 Code    -                  SL
___________ADVANCE C          
Outward/Return Validity:      
Discounts:                    
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2010, 13:45:05 »

Luckily this is no longer needed but I REALLY APPRECIATE all those who kept me informed

Have come to an arrangement with a friend of mine who lives near reading where I rent her room whenever I need a hotel - saves her taking in a lodger to pay the rent

She's throwing the 19th in free of charge!

But I do have one question - is there such a thing as a first class sleeper berth?

Says if you are standard sleeper you may need to share but there seemed to be no option for bagging one to yourself

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2010, 13:48:29 »

sleeper is standard only. Solo berths are available.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2010, 13:50:54 »

sleeper is standard only. Solo berths are available.

Cool - cos I'm trying this wed night - am intrigued and need to be in paddington by 7am for a flight to munich - Friend already has a full house since we only came to this agreement the other day - so I'll get the sleeper on wed night - will report back

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2010, 14:42:29 »

Now, having booked this, it seems you can ONLY book solo berths - there is no other option.  Well not that I was offered

Do FGW (First Great Western) really have strangers sharing a berth?  I can see how that would be a can of worms.

Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2010, 14:57:20 »

Do FGW (First Great Western) really have strangers sharing a berth?  I can see how that would be a can of worms.

Honestly don't know the answer to that. I do know Stena Line ferries do, or did very recently, as I booked myself into just such a berth on the way back from Holland. It was all that was available and I was desperate to get home. As it happened the chap (I was assured it was a chap!) I was sharing with never showed up - probably spent the night in the bar or something
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2010, 15:50:37 »

Last time I used the sleeper in the late sixties I came back with my then girlfriend we both had shared berths but in separate cabins maybe even a coach. I was joined at I think Par by another chap, I believe she also had a travelling companion (female)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2010, 17:17:12 »

Yep and Scotrail. Been that way probably since sleepers started. If you book a 1st class sleeper on Scotrail you will get your own berth and a complimentary breakfast.

More info on FGW and Scotrail sleepers can be found on the links below:

FGW: http://www.seat61.com/Cornwall-sleeper.htm
Scotrail: http://www.seat61.com/CaledonianSleepers.htm
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2010, 18:07:02 »

Actually no, not any more - it was that way until fairly recently but now if you're travelling alone you will only be booked into a room that you have to yourself. To quote seat61:

Passengers travelling alone pay ^45 and get a single room all to themselves.  Unlike the sleepers to Scotland, if you're travelling alone you're no longer allowed to share a 2-berth room with another passenger, you must pay for sole occupancy of a single room.  However, unlike the Scottish sleepers, you no longer need a first class ticket to travel in a single room all to yourself, a standard class ticket is all you need.

Similar deal on Amtrak sleepers, where whatever charge you pay for sleeper accommodation ends up being "per room" and you won't find yourself sharing with someone else.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2010, 18:35:19 »

Yeah - I like the Amtrack system - and am roughly glad the FGW (First Great Western) system works the same (although it still asks whether you want the upper or lower berth)

I'll report back on thursday

It was cheaper to get an advance to penzance on wed and the sleeper to be at heathrow on time (if the sleeper breaks down in this case I care not - client pays - unlike xmas) than to get a peak ticket to get me there in the morning OR go down the night before and get a hotel

Insanity

old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2010, 19:46:27 »

Single travellers CAN still be booked into twin berth cabins  (same sex), if they wish.

There is also one compartment in each coach (berths 17 & 18)  which are switchable. They can be booked as a twin or a single but as a single the top bunk will still be left down and there won't be the Volo Tv available

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2010, 06:24:46 »

Booking window open for the 19th Mookiemoo!!!

And about time too.  Wink Grin

EDIT: Have looked at the Sleeper Advance Solos for that date and the cheapest is ^74. The cynic in me suggests that the cheapest ADVs were never going to be available and FGW (First Great Western) can use the excuse that it is close to Christmas, but one wonders if they may've been available if it wasn't for the RDG(resolve) blockade and the booking horizon issues this caused.

Maximising revenue..... sharp practice.....
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 06:39:09 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2010, 10:06:52 »

Booking window open for the 19th Mookiemoo!!!

And about time too.  Wink Grin
As mentioned on Page 3 Tongue

But she doesn't need it now..
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2010, 18:40:34 »

Oops. Posted in haste without reading the thread.  Embarrassed

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: