Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 05:47:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying Tickets to London Underground Zone 1  (Read 5064 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2010, 22:15:40 »

Hi All Smiley

I'm going to be returning from Stansted Airport some time in the not too distant future. Now normally I would book an advanced ticket, but I cannot guarentee what time i'm going to land.

I plan to buy a ticket to London Liverpool Street, take the Tube to London Waterloo - where a First Class Anytime Single is the order of the day at ^33.00 to Warminster, Where I will then buy a Standard Day Single onto Westbury.

As I will be taking XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) to the Airport, I won't be buying a return ticket from London Liverpool Street. I was planning to buy a First Anytime Single, but was hoping to get a tube ticket for Zone 1 added on. But i'm not sure what to ask for and how much it will cost. I can't seem to get it to show me on NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service).

What would be my best ticket option to get to Waterloo?? Is there a ticket I can buy with a LU included, or do I need to pay the extortinate London Underground Zone 1 Single Fare?

Just out of curiosity, is there a way I could get to Waterloo avoid the underground?

Much Thanks Grin

TT

Grin Grin Grin Grin
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 22:43:54 »

Hi All Smiley
Just out of curiosity, is there a way I could get to Waterloo avoid the underground?

Assuming "taxi" is not the answer you are looking for, a couple of minutes research on the TfL» (Transport for London - about) website found the 26 bus which goes direct from Liverpool St to Waterloo, runs every 7 to 11 minutes and takes 20 minutes off peak.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 23:26:53 »

If you are going to make journeys like this between London stations then a PAYG (Pay as you go) Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) may be the answer.

You can use it on the bus as well as the tube.

Quickest way from Stanstead to Waterloo is probably change at Tottenham Hale onto the Victoria. TFL (Transport for London) gives change at Green Park onto Jubilee but Oxford Circus is cross platform to Bakerloo. Don't forget to touch in at Tottenham Hale.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 23:38:20 »

You can add the Zone 1 tube journey to the end of the Stansted-Liverpool St or the beginning of the Waterloo-Warminster fare.

Stansted Airport to Zone U1* Londn ^22.90 First Anytime Single

or

Zone U1* Londn to Warminster (Route: SALISBURY)  ^35.00 First Day Single

Both will allow 1 journey on the underground from Liverpool Street to Waterloo

As for avoiding the tube:

Stansted Airport to Tottenham Hale
change
Tottenham Hale to Hackney Downs
walk
Hackney Central to Clapham Junction

First Anytime Single, Stansted Airport to Hackney Downs ^20.35
Standard Day Single Hackney Central to Clapham Junction ^2.30

Fairly straightforward 5 minute walk between Hackney Downs and Hackney Central.

(All fares quoted with railcard discount)

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 15:31:18 »

As far as avoiding the Underground, I remember in my younger days walking/bus Liverpool Street to London Bridge.
 Then mainline Waterloo East.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: