Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
Delayed
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 20:50:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[177] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[54] access for all at Devon stations report
[34] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[28] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tickets & Fares for Xmas Day & Boxing Day - WARNING!  (Read 7018 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:59:27 »

Just picked this up from ukr newsgroup....

Quoted from a notice posted at all our depots today:

"Network Rail have uploaded timetables for Christmas Day and Boxing
day into retail systems in error. This means that customers searching
online will see normal timetabled services for 25 and 26 December. As
you know, most of the National Rail network is *CLOSED* on Christmas
and Boxing Day so there will be no services on most routes with the
exception of some limited airport services in the South East.

Please be aware that no reservations are being put into the system to
support these timetables as the services *will not run* however this
will not stop customers purchasing walk-up tickets online without
reservations.

When customers approach your ticket offices and perhaps just ask for
25 or 26 December please remember that despite these services showing
as running *there are no services on 25 and 26 December and you must
not sell tickets for these dates."

Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:27:17 »

I don't disbelieve you for one moment Chris, but I have to say this has all the classic hallmarks of a spoof. Still, stranger things have happened and nothing would surprise me!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:41:21 »

Hmmm - just put PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - PNZ in to NRE(resolve) for Dec26, and two trains come up - the 0857 & 1057.....NRE then offers me a fare of ^47.50 one-way super off-peak, which then transfers to the FGW (First Great Western) site to purchase.

No reservations available, but it certainly lets me purchase the ticket!

Secondly - there ARE NO trains from PAD on the 26th (or 27th to 30th) to PNZ!

Email sent to FGW sharpish!

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 14:13:13 »

Just tried PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) in WebTIS (East Coast) and there are three direct trains to Bristol on the 26th. 0800, 1303 and 1730!

Network Rail need a kick up the butt for this. Particularly as they've got form this year for previous timetabling errors.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 15:13:21 »

if you purchase a ticketin all inoscense and tehir are no trains are FGW (First Great Western) liable for providing a taxi?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 15:22:50 »

It would be difficult to prove 'all innocence', I reckon.

You must have been living on Planet Zog not to know that there are generally no trains on Boxing Day.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 16:00:47 »

I've just put in a search on the FGW (First Great Western) site for Twyford - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and return on 26/12, it offered me one direct train from Twyford at 09:58 and two returning at 17:15 and 18:15 with an Off-Peak Day Return available for ^12.00!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 16:02:19 »

You must have been living on Planet Zog not to know that there are generally no trains on Boxing Day.

What about a visitor from planet Zog?!

Actually, serious point. A visitor from overseas could purchase a ticket in error, especially if they are from a country that has trains running on Christmas/Boxing Day. I also suspect a lot of folks in this country might think there are trains across the network on the 26th. Lots of infrequent travellers over Christmas who may not be aware of the general 2 day closedown (excepting some commuter services.)

I know I'd like trains to run on Boxing Day just so I've got the option to escape from the family a day earlier!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 16:17:59 »

In which case, I'm sure reparation would be made.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 16:46:23 »

I've just received an update to the RailPlanner PC software. This has odd trains in the database as follows:

Christmas Day

Paddington - 00:03 FGW (First Great Western) arrival from Reading and 00:23 Heathrow Express arrival, but nothing else

Temple Meads
Bus service to airport running normally
07:21 to Cardiff
19:21 to Cardiff from Taunton. Curious that they're exactly 12:00 apart.

Euston - full London Midland service, but no obvious Virgin trains

Birmingham New St - full London Midland service, but no obvious others

Worcester Foregate St - full London Midland service

King's Cross - six departures and 1 arrival

St Pancras - full East Midlands service, nothing from First Capital Connect

At Liverpool Lime St, LM (London Midland - recent franchise) and Merseyrail are running normally

At Manchester piccadilly, the trams are running normally, as are East Midlands Trains.

Boxing Day is broadly similar, except that all the main line trains at Paddington are running normally.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 17:45:56 »

if you purchase a ticketin all inoscense and tehir are no trains are FGW (First Great Western) liable for providing a taxi?

Maybe but where would you find the staff to provide the taxi ??
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 19:00:58 »

Not an unusual occurance back in 2007 someone managed to book a seat on Boxing Day from Totnes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-504666/Couple-stranded-sold-tickets-train-didnt-exist.html

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 19:08:51 »

Erm ... see also http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1297.0  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 19:19:49 »

Not an unusual occurance back in 2007 someone managed to book a seat on Boxing Day from Totnes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-504666/Couple-stranded-sold-tickets-train-didnt-exist.html

Yes, I know it's off topic and yes, I know the Daily Mail is an easy target, but the picture that accompanies this story is most definitely not Totnes station.  Roll Eyes

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 20:01:54 »

I just tried looking for a train between Maidenhead and Paddington for 26th December via FGW (First Great Western) website..

And got the following message..

"Christmas Travel
We are aware that the timetable for around the Christmas period is showing incorrect train-times, and/or trains which may not be running"

So hopefully it's being sorted soon... But at least they know about it..
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: