Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 08:45:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Advance First from Heathrow...is this legitimate?  (Read 5634 times)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2010, 05:07:43 »

Just bought me an el-cheapo first class advance from Heathrow back to the folks in darkest Wales for 23 Dec - have left a significant amount of time between scheduled flight arrival time and train departure time as always, to be on the safe side.

For some reason there were cheaper tickets available for the route via Heathrow Express and Paddington (as opposed to RailAir via Reading). Train is booked from Paddington to Swansea at 1245, but since HEx doesn't have reservations it's just a "suggested service" (1157 on my booking printout) and doesn't come with a reservation coupon.

So...assuming my flight lands on time, is it legitimate for me to catch an earlier HEx service, then chill out for a little while in the first class lounge at Paddington before getting my booked connection from there? Seems a lot more appealing than the prospect of festering around Heathrow waiting for the booked HEx departure. And will they let me into the lounge at Paddington with a first class advance ticket? Can't see anything on FGW (First Great Western)'s website that excludes this, although I may be looking a little haggard after an overnight flight so they may not want me in there  Wink
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 06:28:58 »

I'm assuming your ticket is +connections. So shouldn't be too problematical taking an earlier service into PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains). There is, after all, no specified maximum connection time with ADVs.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:04:53 »

And yes, I've definitely sat in the 1st Class Lounge at Padd on an Advance 1st ticket. No questions asked.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 12:39:56 »

First Advance as Phil says is definately accepted in the First Class Lounge at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)... I've done it a few times with no raised eyebrows or questions asked Grin

I shouldn't worry about looking haggard either, some of the people you see in PAD 1st Lounge are... shall we say... more than just a little scruffy... Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 14:48:28 »

You've obviously seen me there without me realising it, trout!

I recall an employee there once asking me "if I was in a band or something" a few years back... not too sure what to make of that really.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 16:20:20 »

I've also had something similar... A Taxi driver once asked me what I did for a living, so I told him I work in IT (Which is true) Well he thought I was someone famous and was using that as a cover story...! Not sure what to make of that either...!

But I can go one better than that, my friend doesn't find it even slightly funny, we all think it's hilarious...!!! One of my friends got approached by a random girl because she thought she'd seen him in a particular film... except the nature of the film was rather rude... if you get my drift Wink His face when she asked him was a picture Shocked Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 19:53:02 »

Thanks for the advice! Obviously it's not for a couple of months but I'll try doing it the way I suggested above then report back, if I remember...
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 22:43:12 »

Bit of an epilogue here, but I spotted on the HEx website whilst checking something else that they say something along the lines of "only tickets explicitly marked Heathrow Express" are valid for travel. Which doesn't appear to be correct, since mine is apparently valid by HEx but had the route "AP Slough" printed on it.

And as an aside, would anyone like to guess just how many possible fares there are between Heathrow Terminal 5 and Whitland (when you add up all of the possible first/standard, single/return and walk-up/advance possibilities)...? Cheating by looking in NFM07 is not allowed Wink

Suffice it to say, I was absolutely amazed - all for a little town in west Wales...!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 22:57:38 »

I'll guess at 47 before I go looking at NFM07.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 23:16:13 »

I'll bid higher - 70 (and no, I haven't looked at NFM07, either - wouldn't know how to, honest!)

CfN.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 23:17:05 »

80?

I know there's weird routings on flows into Wales, AP Slough, GW (Great Western) Only, AP Not London (though how you can get to heathrow by rail avoiding london flows beats me.)

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 23:33:52 »

Those guesses are pretty good actually:

Walk-up fares, "not London" (so presumably either Heathrow Connect via Hayes and Reading, or using Reading Railair bus): 7
Walk-up fares, "any permitted": 9
Advance fares, "AP not London": 18
Advance fares, "Great Westn Only": 18
Advance fares, "AP Slough": 18

So a grand total of 70 - spot on Chris, and good guesses from bnm and SDS pad!

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 23:38:10 »

Bluddy'ell!! Shocked  That was a very lucky guess, then!  Embarrassed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 00:15:08 »

The 'AP not London' is an interesting one. Does anybody really want to change at Hayes and Harlington and Reading and Swansea?

A lot cheaper though!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 09:36:07 »

The 'AP not London' is an interesting one. Does anybody really want to change at Hayes and Harlington and Reading and Swansea?

A lot cheaper though!
I'm going from Bristol to Heathrow in November changing at Reading and Hayes & Harlington. Cost ^16.70 (booked early but missed the cheapest which is ^14.20 -- so I'm not the only one!). I have to leave 1/2 hour earlier than if I was getting the coach from Reading or changing at Paddington, but I'm not in a hurry.

Coming back I haven't bought an advance ticket because of the unpredictability of long haul arrivals, and I will be impatient to get home, so I'll give Heathrow Connect a miss and pay ^43 for an offpeak single via the Railair coach.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: