Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 22:51:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW wrongly selling advance purchase tickets  (Read 14991 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2010, 11:44:02 »

Travelling from Southampton to Yatton on Friday, I see that there is a ^4.30 YP advance single on the 1810. Having selected it and gone through the seating preferences and what not it comes up with an error...

"We have been unable to successfully validate your journey for the following reason:
E00219
No availability for requested accom on leg from SOU to BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains) on 15/10/2010"

Should FGW (First Great Western) really be advertising these tickets if they have technically sold out!!
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 11:48:10 »

It's not exactly wrongly selling if it won't let you buy it Tongue

But it can happen sometimes, where the quota for the advance ticket is available, but it's not possible to reserve. For some reason the system can't tell, until you actually try to book, which is a shame, but it's one of those things that needs addressing.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 13:38:28 »

I've had exactly the same whilst at the advance purchase office of Temple Meads.  The fare showed as available, but the clerk couldn't make a reservation for that service.  Threw out a very similar error message.

Probably a common error.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 15:02:59 »

It's not exactly wrongly selling if it won't let you buy it Tongue

Quite right.

Since FGW (First Great Western) are not actually "wrongly selling" advance tickets as you claim, d_m, would you please edit the original heading? Thanks.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 16:27:51 »

THe answer, from FGW (First Great Western) Fares management, is as follows -

this can occur when all seats on the train are reserved, as availability remains for the wheelchair space and designated companion seat - we have tested it by reserving these and the issue then does not occur.  The service in question is fully reserved (not all seats on the West DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) are reservable, due to the considerable walk-up traffic on these routes).

The Advance quotas as set can occasionally exceed the seating capacity on some services, mainly these DMU services due to the low number of reservable seats - this is now being reviewed in order to stop this issue re-occurring.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 16:44:46 »

The service in question is fully reserved (not all seats on the West DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) are reservable, due to the considerable walk-up traffic on these routes).
So is every seat on HSS (High Speed Services) now reservable for advance fares?  It used to be the case that one coach was unreserved and I thought some seats were not available for reservation with an advance fare.  I don't remember ever getting in Coach A on an APEX but there were seats in Coach A that were reserved.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 16:47:28 »

I don't think so.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 23:16:00 »

E is not reserved
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 00:12:34 »

I remember in my younger days getting Super Advances, Apex (Advanced Purchase Excursion (fare))'s and Super Apex (once), reserved in coach A.

Although you had to do some nifty codes in CRS to force it to accept it.
Somthing like BRIPAD1234A09FSURNAME, many years ago that green on black screen.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 02:06:16 »

Somthing like BRIPAD1234A09FSURNAME, many years ago that green on black screen.

Progress eh? Pah!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 15:09:52 »

Yeah and CRS would tell you how many seats were left in that price band in that allocation.
I remember being told there were only 5 seats left in the Apex (Advanced Purchase Excursion (fare)) allocation and then the screen was refreshed and they'd gone just like that!

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 18:58:09 »

Some trains also seemed to have a very low Apex (Advanced Purchase Excursion (fare)) allocation.  I was never able to get on the 09:40 from Newton Abbot to Paddington on an Apex ticket but did get a Super Advance.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 21:08:47 by Zo^ » Logged
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 20:21:07 »

Even harder to get a super apex!
But what was stupid was an apex was cheaper then a super advance without a railcard and thus had less quota.
But a super advance was cheaper with a railcard!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: